Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control-Alt-Delete.........RESTART!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Just a quick update this week. Hit 70% of the planned sessions this week, 3 swim, 3 bike and 1 run. The bike sessions were all on the training including a 1.5 hour endurance session and some sweet spot.

Swimming was interesting this week. On Thursday morning I got myself to a club swim session (my old club Activ Multisport) and I really enjoyed it. Peter was is deck for this. I had to get used to other people in the pool never mind my lane :) I also had to get used to the education/feedback bit. At first I was anxious about all the talking, thinking "shouldn't we be swimming?!" But then I realised that this is feedback and it was awesome to have that. It's been years since I had any feedback and there is loads of opportunity for me to improve. Apparently I've a very poor third phase in my stroke so I need to concentrate on that over the next view weeks, some back sculling, swim chords and tricep exercises should help me there. The front end of my stroke needs work too so some front sculling I guess.

Peter asked us to do a 400 TT before January so I did that this morning as I most likely won't get to a pool next week. I was tempted to just use my time from two and a half weeks ago minus maybe 4 seconds but I'm so glad I didn't! I've knocked off 17 seconds in those two and a half week! 6:40 is what I clocked and I said I may as well do a 200 too and I clocked 3:11 which is 7 seconds faster. So a new CSS of 1:45/100 and a great way to finish swimming for 2018.

A decent week but I need to hit my run sessions. I am very happy where swimming is and happy enough with biking. I gained a kg so that is to be welcomed also. The next two weeks will only be lightly structured, I plan on enjoying the holidays. Happy Christmas all :cool:

since my last post...

- swam 5200m
    - biked 3.5 hours
    - ran 4 hours
    - got an ear infection (from different pool to normal...I believe)

Swim

I had no access to a pool over christmas but got in two sessions last week. Enjoying the club session very much and I have a couple of things to focus on

1. developing a back end to my stroke, some back sculling, tricep exercises, swim chords should all help here
    2. improving my kick and/or developing a higher stroke rate, some kick sets and some intervals with a quicker cadence (might look for my tempo trainer now!)
    3. try to keep my fingers pointing down to the bottom of the pool

Great to have so much to work on as it means there is loads of room for improvement. My swim fitness isn't great either but this will come with more swimming. I have been instructed not to swim this week however by the doctor and I'm on a second round of antibiotics to try and clear up the ear infection, I still cannot hear out of my right ear but the pain has lessened a lot thankfully.

Bike

No outdoor spins yet but I am determined to get out soon for a nice endurance spin. What I am doing is quality sweet spot sessions on the trainer. They have become a bit easier than they should be so I upped my FTP a little bit, I'll test again within the next two weeks. Feeling pretty strong on the bike a actually and I look forward to the sessions.

Run

I am still very slow but I'm enjoying these zone 1 runs with some pick ups. The weather was so mild over christmas that I had the shorts out again. My favourite type of run is a run in the bog at night. No noise pollution, no light pollution just me and the sound of a nearby stream and my breath :) Sometimes a fox stops and stares at the mad mad man with the headlight too. I actually found myself waiting to do my run when darkness fell. I'll do a park run this month for the fun of it and to check where I am.

The doctor want to do bloods so I have to go back next week, she feels I am run down (I believe I am hitting a lot of the diabetes markers :( ). I don't feel run down and my power on the bike is increasing with a pretty low RPE but I am glad to be getting my bloods done anyway. So no swimming for a bit now but besides that things are going well and I'm enjoying training.

Two more posts to come soon, a summary of 2018 and one on my hopes for 2019.

2018 started off well enough but was ultimately a disappointment. From Jan to April things were going well and my training was consistent then...the wheels came off. No training at all from from June to September...when I'm off work. Go figure. I won't get into the why here but there are reasons and I prefer to keep them to myself. There was a big positive though and that's where I am now and how I am feeling now. A really good last 3 months has given me a great chance to succeed this year :) My highlight was running the half marathon ion Ballyhoura, at that stage I had all but stopped training but I was determined to go and do it anyway. Despite the pain I really, really enjoyed it.

2018 - The Numbers

Swim - 107,118m
    Bike - 65 hours, 1637km
    Run - 50 hours, 498km
    Ave Training hours per week - 3 hours 21 minutes
    Starting weight - 92.3kg
    Finishing weight - 75.4kg
    Time in zones - bike and run were both 70% in Z2 or below, 30% above.

This year I will aim for more of a 80/20 time in zones (although it's debatable if it matters for a low volume athlete), but about aims and objectives for 2019 in my next post.

My goals for 2018 were very, very simple ones - volumes ones. The idea was just to have simple goals to focus on that would get me out the door and moving again. It worked up to a point and I was on track. These were the goals:

Swim
    Target for this year is 208,000m, averaging about 4,000 a week.

Bike
    Target for this year 110 hours, averaging just over 2 hours a week.

Run
    Target for this year is 600km, averaging about 12km a week

So they were not overly ambitious I believe.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to 2019, I'm feeling good and most important of all positive about the year ahead and motivated.

This year I am more hopeful than I have been in a long time about the year ahead. I've decent fitness and my weight is down, so it really feels like a head start already! This is thanks to me cleaning up the diet, starting to do some regular enough training since October and a high metabolism...or some other health issue perhaps. As I said in the last post I am getting my bloods done next week to see if there is anything up, perhaps a deficiency of some sort. No harm getting the bloods done at this time of the year anyway.

So this year I will have volume targets, some goal races and training objectives. Above all of these though is the aim of having fun and meeting up with people when I can. Doing more races hits both of those, I always find racing enjoyable and I love meeting friends at them for a chat and/or coffee. I do not care about getting optimum performance that will come in time anyway as I’m a competitive person anyway - time enough for that. So with all that in mind:

My 2019 Aims

- Be more active than last year. Do something every week.
    - swim 150,000m (2885m per week)
    - bike 120 hours (2.3 hours per week)
    - run 90 hours (1.7 hours per week)
    - Do 1 or more sessions each week with someone else/a group

The last one is important. I read somewhere before that having a group/community or even just one more person is the top reason that keeps people active or involved in a sport. I have already put some sessions in place for this and really enjoy them so far.

My Main Races

- Kilkee, The Hell of The West. It’s been too long :)
    - Kenmare, The Lost Sheep Middle Distance. I’ve threatened to do this one for years!
    - Clonakilty or Valentia (Spain) Marathon in Dec. I want to cover 42.2km on foot in one go this year.

In order to keep me motivated and give me some stepping stones towards those goal races I think some training objectives will help.

2019 Training Objectives

- Swim a pb for 400m, I’m currently at 6:40 and my current PB is 6:22.
    Secret bonus objective: I’ve always wanted to do a sub 6 400TT

- Bike 265 watts for 20 min TT, indoors or out. This would represent a 4 year best. I’ve bikes many times over that but one thing at a time.
    Secret bonus objective: My all time 20min TT is 302 watts, so...

- Run a sub 20 5k. Again, I’ve done it many times in the past but not for years! Secret bonus objective: my 5k PB is 18:13, so...

- Do a 10k. I don’t have a 10k PB really which is mad. Training Peaks has my 2013 Kilkee/HoTW time down (39:3x) for that but I’d like a stand alone PB.

Again I don’t care about hitting these so long as I continue to be active and healthy throughout the year, that’s the main thing. The objectives are secondary and the second objectives are thirdly! 😂 The reason I put in secondary objectives is because my primary ones have been too soft in the past so now I’ve achievable ones and stretchy ones.

So, fast forward to 31st Dec 2019 what would look like success for me?

- Looking at my training peaks or Strava account and seeing that I was active every week. That there are no huge gaps!
    - That I’m healthy and happy

That’s about it. So good luck to everyone else in their journey this year, the triathlon forum may be quite these days but there are still a few around, a few good people, many I’d consider friends and I always appreciated comments, developmental feedback and suggestions but most of all the craic :) I stuck around for a reason I guess! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Starting weight - 92.3kg
    Finishing weight - 75.4kg

Wow that is some drop and must feel good to have that head start this year! I hear you on the health, friends and taking things as they come approach. The journey is the main thing, hitting objectives great, knocking on the door of old PBs the cherry on top. I have a pic of you, me and Eddie in Budapest on my fridge door. Special times but no point in chasing that, its in the past. I'll follow this log, always liked your openness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Echo what Mike said, but something I learned a few years ago after a bump in the road is that enjoyment must come first - times and PBs are great, but if you’re not enjoying it you won’t keep at it.

Wow that is some drop and must feel good to have that head start this year! I hear you on the health, friends and taking things as they come approach. The journey is the main thing, hitting objectives great, knocking on the door of old PBs the cherry on top. I have a pic of you, me and Eddie in Budapest on my fridge door. Special times but no point in chasing that, its in the past. I'll follow this log, always liked your openness.

The drop is great Mike, really just means running, cycling and tbh everything that bit easier. Things can be hard enough as is already so any help is welcome. That said I was very concerned before Christmas as the weight just kept falling off and I was feeling weak, thankfully it has stablised now and I feel better/stronger.

You are right about the journey, sure what is the point otherwise? I have that picture on my old laptop, I must print it off, pretty cool picture, good times too Mike :) Great memories :cool: Thanks for dropping in Mike, hopefully see you over the course of the year and good luck with everything.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Echo what Mike said, but something I learned a few years ago after a bump in the road is that enjoyment must come first - times and PBs are great, but if you’re not enjoying it you won’t keep at it.

Yep, it seems many of us are on the same page about that now, learning from our own individual experiences. Hope everything is going well with you Griffin and best of luck in 2019.

Last week started with me going to the doctor regarding this persistent ear ache/infection. I was put on strong antibiotics for 7 days. I was told no swimming for a week would be best. So my plan was:

Monday: off
    Tuesday: sweet spot turbo
    Wednesday: Easy 40 min run
    Thursday: sweet spot turbo
    Friday: easy 45 min run with Macanri
    Saturday: 1.5-2 hours easy spin
    Sunday: 1 hour easy run

Too ambitious, very naive. Monday to Wednesday was fine, actually felt mighty after Tuesday turbo. However on Thursday I had to bail half way through my turbo session which called for 3 x 12 min @ 87 - 94%. My quads started to cramp like crazy! Very unusual but looking back totally unsurprising. I looked up the side effects of the antibiotics and among them were fatigue and severe dehydration, it was only then I noticed how yellow my pee was! I just turned over the pedals easy then on Thursday and went very easy on the run Friday. I also binned the weekend training opting instead for longer times in bed. I am feeling very fresh this morning thankfully and did 1,200m of mostly drills.

Week in numbers

Swim: 0m
    Bike: 2 hours
    Run: 1.5 hours
    Compliance: 69%

Plan this week is to ease back into it, only one sweet spot session and the club swim Thursday will have intensity I'm sure - all other sessions will be easy or endurance.

Something I was aware of but not really the extent of it is the lack of endurance sessions I am doing. If I don't correct it now I will most likely break down later in the year, got to build that base over these months and make that the priority. I checked on my TP account and while I am delighted to be back training since October I have only done 3 runs over 50 minutes and 3 spins over 1 hour. I am now going to make my long bike and long run sessions the two key sessions of the week (pity TP don't have a little tab/ribbon for that).

A quick note on swimming - I will be going to a 4 times a week now for the first time ever until April or May (when I hope to replace a session with open water) and I am positive that this will have a positive effect, getting onto the bike sooner and fresher.

A great week. It was a little frustrating at first because I was fatigued and my quads were cramping at the sight of a bike! I told myself that it was just the combination of ear infection and the antibiotics still in the system, I think I was right as I finished the week strong.

Week in Number

Swim: 2 hours 13 minutes, 7200m
    Bike: 3 hours 15 minutes, 76.4km
    Run: 2 hours 53 minutes, 29.5km
    Yoga: 30 minutes
    S&C: 30 minutes
    Total Time: 8 hours 51 minutes

Compliance Watch: 100%

Intensity watch (Z1+Z2/Z3 up)
    Run: 93%/7%
    Bike: 94%/4%

Key Sessions

Swim: Club session - Before Thursday's swim session my biggest swim ever was 3,300m...it's now 4,100m :cool: There was plenty of intensity too but I held up well. I was thrilled, really enjoying the club sessions actually. Peter wants me to concentrate on the 3rd phase of my stroke, it would seem I have none so it's the lowest hanging fruit. I will work on that but it will take a few weeks. Aiming for 4 swims this week and for the next 4 months or so.

Bike: Endurance - simple aim, do 1.5 hours if on the turbo or 2 hours if outside. So Saturday morning I did a turbo and capped the power at zone 2, enjoyable and gave me confidence as the quads held up really well. Also enjoying Super League triathlon while training indoors.

Run: Endurance - same as above, get out and do a zone 1 60 minute run. I did that today, btw zone 1 running is actually enjoyable. :)

So my biggest week since I started this latest comeback in Oct and biggest week in all 3 disciplines too. This week will be much the same except for more intensity on the bike and more S&C.

Also this may interest the boardies crew in the west, myself and Rónán Mac Con and whoever else wants in are planning a gran fondo on Sunday next. I've no business doing such distance (only ever done over 100k 3 times in my life and not since Aug '17) but I'm up for trying all going well this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Also this may interest the boardies crew in the west, myself and Rónán Mac Con and whoever else wants in are planning a gran fondo on Sunday next. I've no business doing such distance (only ever done over 100k 3 times in my life and not since Aug '17) but I'm up for trying all going well this week.

I might be going out for dinner and a drink Saturday night so that might rule me out. Plus all I have at the moment is a cyclocross bike which might be too much hard work for me, but let me know what you're planning.

Two weeks since my last update so I won't go into too much of what happened training wise as I had another event occur which I will address in my next post as it really could have (read - definitely will have) massive implications for training and racing. Instead I want to have a look at the month of January.

Jan 2018
    Average training hours: 4 hrs 10 min
    Swim: 2 hrs 45 min, 8.8km
    Bike: 6 hrs, 148km
    Run: 4 hrs 50 min, 48.7km
    Ave weight: 92kg
    Ave BF: 22.5%

Jan 2019
    Average training hours: 5 hrs 30 min
    Swim: 9 hrs 20 min, 30.6km
    Bike: 8 hrs 30 min, 231km
    Run: 7 hrs 30 min, 77km
    Ave weight: 74.8kg
    Ave BF: 14.4%

So it's nice to see that things are trending better this January compared to last. In fact it's the best start I've had in years to a year.

Swim
    The swimming is going nicely and the club session is a game changer not only in the feedback and encouragement one receives but also just in terms of the monster sessions we are doing which are not only long (4.5km sessions) but there is also a lot of threshold work being done. The plan for January to May was to do 4 swims per week but that didn't materialise in January, hopefully it will in February. I did no 400's or 200's for time but those times have definitely come down, I will test soon.

Bike
    I wasn't really that consistent with the bike but my FTP still took a nice 20 watt jump to 225 (Tacx Neo). I am using the trainer road ramp test at the moment for determining my FTP but at some stage this year I plan on doing the ramp test and a few days later the old 5 min TT followed by 20 TT protocol - why? I'm just curious, I'd to see how close they are, the old protocol was a good session in itself anyway. The most important thing for me now bike wise is getting in an endurance spin every week.

Run
    So since December 5th I have been basically doing all my runs easy and I redefined easy as zone 1. Actually a bit lower than zone one as per the MAF principle of training. I am thoroughly enjoying it. The benefits are many as I see it:
    -less chance of injury
    -quicker to recover
    -can safely up the mileage
    -physically less taxing
    -mentally less taxing
    -teaching the body to burn fat
    -you get faster
    ...to name but a few. Last week I decided to do a zone 2 run on the same course I did on Dec 3rd. After only 6 weeks of zone 1 running my pace improved from 5:48/km to 5:27/km, similar conditions and the same HR. So I am definitely convinced that this is working. The plan will be to just continue with this and include some 15 to 30 second pick up from time to time. In March I'll introduce some hill sessions for a bit of strength. Indeed I will never go back to easy Z2 running, easy for me now means Z1. When I start preping for my first marathon (Clonakilty in December) I believe that this will really help me.

So a positive month and I am very happy about that but it came with a sting in the tale in the end, more about that later.

Friday 25th of Jan I went to the doctor about an ear infection and came away with diabetes :rolleyes: A few months ago I was concerned that I was showing symptoms of diabetes :

- blurred vision
    - cramping in my hands and feet
    - rapid weight loss
    - excessive thirst/peeing a lot.

But then I started back training in Oct and those symptoms went away and I pretty much forgot about it. When I had to go to the doctor with my ear Linda reminded me and said why don't you get checked for diabetes, it's a good idea to get ones bloods done from time to time anyway so I said I would.
    When the results came came back my doctor was pretty shocked as I don't fit the typical diabetic profile and my glucose levels were through the roof! She was very concerned. So for the last week and this week I have to take a blood glucose measurement 3 times a day and this Thursday I will be getting my bloods re-done and sit down with my doctor on Friday to see where we go from there.

I am on medication now a week and I switched to a low carb high fat diet (not that the doctor told me) and my blood glucose levels are now normal. I don't know if I am insulin resistant or just not producing it, as my BG are so high it could well be the later. The only other thing to show up was high iron levels which can suppress the function of the pancreas so I could have hemochromotosis which may have caused the diabetes.

This is obviously going to affect training and racing and that's why I think it is imported to post about it here. I am also stunned at the number of people that do not know the symptoms of diabetes (as mentioned above) and I think it is so important that people do know because if it goes undiagnosed then the end game can be heart disease/attack, stroke as well as blindness and amputations among other nasty things! I'd also encourage people just to get their blood checked every year or so especially as you get older because, well...you never know.

In terms of training I was actually a bit worried as to how I'd train if I had to cut down on carbs drastically so I did nothing for 3 days except for some wallowing. Last Monday I decided to just get on with things and eased back with a swim. I did nothing Tuesday, another swim on Wednesday and then on Thursday I decided to try my normal day - club swim and a tempo turbo (2 x 15 minutes at 85%). The swim turned out to be the longest (4,600m) and possibly most challenging of my life and the turbo was tough too but I came through both really well. Actually I felt great by the end of the week which was surprising considering the reduction in calories. Or is it? I mean I was basically poisoning my body for god knows how long! The change to fat for fuel seems to really suit me.

It seems I'm fairly well fat adapted, the early morning sessions on nothing but a bulletproof coffee seem to have done the trick. So the diet has been eggs, bacon, avacados, nuts, cheese, chicken, salmon, lamb, cauliflower rice/mash, some greens, mushrooms etc...

Okay so that's the craic, that's my new reality and in terms of training I haven't really missed a beat and when it comes to racing I will have to find a new fueling strategy. Fingers crossed that I won't have to go down the insulin injection route and that I will be able to manage this with food/diet.

I'd appreciate any advise you good folk may have :) Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

hm .I actually came here to say that you swam really well last thursday...
    let us know about your talk with Dr.

genreally strenght work can have positive impact on some types of diabetis,

not wanting to say to much but one thing i read a while ago on diabetis was, the posivite aspects of endurance training with diabetis by far outweigh the risks of if .

of course it means you have to eat more regualryl during training and be more careful. and learn how do deal with some issues. obviously when you feel some symtoms you stop a session but over time you wlll lerna what works and what not.

not medical advice but some ideas to check with your dr.

Cyclists on Team Novo Nordisk will often compete in races of between 100-160 miles in length or 4-7 hours of duration. For these lengthy endurance efforts, Dr. Castol recommends that athletes eat a mixture of 80% carbohydrate/20% protein during the first two hours of the race, and from 2-4 hours they will rely on energy bars, fruit, and electrolyte drinks. For the last hour of the race, which can be the most intense as the finish line looms, the cyclists will consume gels, glucose tablets, jelly beans, and more electrolyte drink.After the race or your workout is done, Dr. Castol recommends a snack of as much as 70 grams of carbohydrate to replenish your glycogen stores within an optimal “window of recovery” that lasts from 20-40 minutes after you finish. Then, about 2-3 hours after the race, the cyclists will consume a mostly low carbohydrate, higher protein meal with the goal of repairing muscle damage more than replenishing glycogen, since their post-workout snack has taken care of that already.

ps i think you maybe go a bit overboard with carbs but need to look more at carbs with lower glycemic index ( bellow 55 )and 3 of those i really like are oats lentils and sweet potatos) its the stuff like white breed cornflaks etc with hogh glycemic index thats to be avoided and again not medical advise but more food for thought for your appointment to consider.

Thanks Peter, I really appreciate that. As you say I will learn what works best for me through a bit of trial and error. And I definitely agree about the positives of endurance training outweighing the risks.

In fact I see this as an opportunity. An opportunity to become more efficient and smarter about what I do.

I was stunned watching this video on what the pro's eat before, during and after an event. I just hope that their normal day to day diet isn't as sugar filled. I think many endurance athletes (pro's and amateur alike) think they can get away with eating whatever sh1te they like and I guess most can but if you become insulin resistant or your pancreas stops it's normal function you are in trouble.

Prof Tim Noakes is a good guy to follow on all of this stuff, he become a diabetic after years of a high carb diet that he was pushing through his very popular books. He is embarrassed by it now and promotes a lower carb diet with more fat. Interesting guy and takes courage to rubbish 30 years worth of your own work, he, like most of us, trusted in the powers that be and the guidelines that they promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

A consult with Barry Murray might be worthwhile.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Your big swings in weight, were they a symptom or a possible cause, did u mention it to doctor?

The doctor they threw off Operation Transformation ( not that I was watching it) reckons you can reverse Type II with the correct diet and exercise. Look her up, I think she has a clinic, Dr Eva.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

rooneyjm wrote: »

The doctor they threw off Operation Transformation ( not that I was watching it) reckons you can reverse Type II with the correct diet and exercise. Look her up, I think she has a clinic, Dr Eva.

No, you can't. But you can learn to manage it. Sir Steve Redgrave won 5 consecutive Olympic Gold medals managing it.

ElD sorry to hear mate. A work run buddy of mine and lead singer in a band as a hobby for the last 20 years found out on his honeymoon after weight ballooning etc. It took a while to learn how to manage it but by the time we started running together he was leaner, fitter and healthier with a more positive outlook on life that he ever had.

If nothing else you have that same positive outlook and enough self drive to learn more and manage it. I'm pretty sure you will reach that same better place. In fact, I know you will!

No, you can't. But you can learn to manage it. Sir Steve Redgrave won 5 consecutive Olympic Gold medals managing it.

ElD sorry to hear mate. A work run buddy of mine and lead singer in a band as a hobby for the last 20 years found out on his honeymoon after weight ballooning etc. It took a while to learn how to manage it but by the time we started running together he was leaner, fitter and healthier with a more positive outlook on life that he ever had.

If nothing else you have that same positive outlook and enough self drive to learn more and manage it. I'm pretty sure you will reach that same better place. In fact, I know you will!

I don't know about that. If you read up on Noakes and his colleagues they profess to have reversed it by diet alone and lots of their clients are meds free. I'm no expert but I know it's a contentious area and draws a lot of heated debate, including court cases for Noakes et al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

CURING DIABETES?

There is increasing evidence that not only can type 2 diabetes be prevented but that it can be cured. We have known for decades that gastric by-pass surgery results in long term normalisation of blood glucose but most of these studies have been on people with BMIs above 35.13 This has now been shown even with people who have only class I obesity, that is, a BMI of 30–35, with 88% of 66 people with diabetes at baseline remaining diabetes free after 6 years of follow-up.14 Now evidence is appearing that similar results can be obtained with very low calorie diets. The Counterpoint study has shown that in 10 of 11 people with diabetes an 8-week 600 kcal per day diet resulted in normalisation of glucose levels. After 12 weeks of normal diet, glucose tolerance was normal in four, impaired glucose tolerance in three, and diabetic but improved control in three.15 Both bariatric surgery and very low calorie diets produce rapid substantial weight loss with dramatic reduction of fat (triacylglycerol) stores in the pancreas and liver. The Counterpoint Study not only demonstrated very low calorie diets can produce weight losses similar to those of bariatric surgery, but offered an explanation of the anti-diabetic effect: reduction of triacylglycerol in the liver improves hepatic insulin sensitivity and reduction of triacylglycerol in the pancreas allows restoration of beta cell function. The upshot of these and similar studies is that if a patient is prepared to lose 15–20% of their body weight and keep it off, there is a very good chance of their diabetes being cured and that this seems to be related to the degree of weight loss rather than the duration of their diabetes. It may be true that many will not want to or be able to make such changes to their diet and lifestyle but initial responses to the Counterpoint study from the general population suggest that there is a health-motivated subset of the population who can reverse their diabetes completely and maintain long term normoglycaemia. Taylor suggests that at the time of diagnosis such healthmotivated individuals should be advised of this. If however they are unsuccessful in achieving substantial weight loss then the routine guidelines for type 2 diabetes should be rolled out.16

or

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170913084432.htm

• Advertisement

I'm just off the phone with a colleague in the US. When I was going over some items with them I had to share my screen and they spotted this thread being open. Long story short, 3 years ago their husband was diagnosed with diabetes and had to take insulin via a pen. They weren't too happy at the prospect of taking drugs so altered their diet and restricted carbs to what was required. They've been drug free for over 2.5 years now and without issue.
    One trick that they use when eating out is to spread chia seeds on foods - Italian restaurant for example. Apparently it alters the GI number of foods when sprinkled on carbs.
    My colleague also told me how her husbands brother was unsuccessful in managing their diabetes via their diet and are reliant on the pen.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

If there was a way not to have to take medication for the rest of your life then I'd be giving it a go.
    You never know, this time next tear you could be a poster boy for Type II Diabetes reversal.

ah ballsack! Had a lengthy reply done replying to each of you and thanking you for commenting and your stories and the healthy debate! Haven't time to do it all again but thanks. I will keep documenting things here anyway and any conversations that might arise from here is a great thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Always some drama on EL Ds log. The work I have to do to just lose a kilo - to see you dropping down 20kgs in a few months always had me astonished. Glad to see it hasn't effected your training so far and you will be ready for me this year in Westport :D

Ronanmac wrote the book on chia seeds - probably plenty of recipes in his back pocket

catweazle wrote: »
    Always some drama on EL Ds log. The work I have to do to just lose a kilo - to see you dropping down 20kgs in a few months always had me astonished. Glad to see it hasn't effected your training so far and you will be ready for me this year in Westport :D

Ronanmac wrote the book on chia seeds - probably plenty of recipes in his back pocket

Hope all going well with you John, good to hear from you. Well much as I'd like to do Westport I will be rocking in Slane at Matellica :cool: But we will surely renew the rivalry somewhere at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hopefully you should be able to manage it mostly on diet alone. I am always concerned about diabetes also, as I have made myself a prime candidate for it over the years. I have cut out a lot of carbs in the last 5-6 weeks and replaced with protein, I think in general I feel much less sluggish as a result.

I am interested to read 'rapid weight loss' as a signal, were you trying to lose weight at the time (tracking/cutting cals) or not?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Hopefully you should be able to manage it mostly on diet alone. I am always concerned about diabetes also, as I have made myself a prime candidate for it over the years. I have cut out a lot of carbs in the last 5-6 weeks and replaced with protein, I think in general I feel much less sluggish as a result.

I am interested to read 'rapid weight loss' as a signal, were you trying to lose weight at the time (tracking/cutting cals) or not?

Hey dude. I've not increased my protein intake, instead I've increased fat intake and feel so good I must say, that's perhaps because of the decrease in carbs (not that I was a carb loader in the first place!). I feel the big challenge for me will be nutrition for racing, especially if I go half distance this year.

I was trying to lose weight. I went to Thailand on the 6th of July (92kg) for 3 weeks and ate very clean and by the time I came back I had adjusted to a better diet and just kept going. Didn't really start training properly/consistently until Oct by which stage I was down to 79kg.

Extra info: In Aug 2016 I was 105kg, four months later I was 76kg.

Decent week last week.

Week in Numbers

Swim: 2 hours 35 minutes, 8,850m
    Bike: 3 hours 30 minutes, 87km
    Run: 1 hours 45 minutes, 18.1km
    Yoga: 0 minutes
    S&C: 0 minutes
    Total Time: 7 hours 51 minutes

Compliance Watch: 89%
    Key Sessions: 3/3, 100%

Intensity watch (Z1+Z2/Z3 up)
    Run: 94%/6%
    Bike: 68%/32%

Key Sessions

Swim

The key session was the club session and while I was unable to attend I did complete it myself. There was a 100 max effort which came in at 1:31 (it was near the end of the session, I can definely go under 1:30) and there was a 1000m at around 85% which I did with the PB and came in on 19 minutes exactly.

This morning I did a 400 TT and a 200 TT as I knew my CSS was now off a bit. The 400m came in at 6:21 and the 200m came in at 3:01 (all time PB). The pacing could be better:

400 pacing
    1st 100 - 1:32
    2nd 100 - 1:37
    3rd 100 - 1:37
    4th 100 - 1:36

200 pacing
    1st 100 - 1:28
    2nd 100 - 1:33

Something that is nice when you come back from a long time out is the big chunks you can take off your times! For the 400 my progression since Nov:

Nov 6:51
    Dec 6:40
    Feb 6:21

The 200 progression:

Nov 3:18
    Dec 3:11
    Feb 3:01

Biking

The key session here was my long bike. I did it indoors as I was tight for time and getting outdoor ready would have taken too long. 1 hour and 45 minutes on Trainer Road, Baxter +1, it's an endurance session but with all the changes in power it is quite challenging. The other two sessions were a tempo on with 2 x 15 min @85% and a big gear session with 5 x 4 minutes, 1 recovery.

Run

Key session was the LSR which I did on Wednesday on the trails in the phoenix park, just 1 hour but I will build it from here. Only one other run done. This Saturday I'll give a park run a lash just to see where my 5km time is.

It is time to lock down a few races I feel now. I will most likely do a duathlon in Westport on March 9th as part of a relay. I am in for the aquabike in Lough Cutra in May but it's just the sprint one. Seriously considering switching to the middle distance one as it is the National Champs and sure why not? I'm going fairly well at the biking and swimming and I've plenty of time to get the bike up to scratch. I was disappointing to see though that it is now a 1.9k swim and 96k bike, it was 3k swim and 80k bike. None the less I think this challenge could prove very motivating for me.

Just to flesh out the above if I do decide to do the aquabike middle distance championships I may go to biking 4 times a week from March - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the weekend. Building up the time (a) in the saddle and (b) in the aero position. I would keep the swim at 4 times a week. Run wise I'd do one LSR, one run off the bike and two easy ones. We'll see, I'll mull it over for a while. I do plan on shifting the focus to running a bit more from June.

Diabetes Watch

I forgot to mention that after two weeks of monitoring my blood glucose levels I went back to the doctors, got bloods tested again and came back in the next day to discuss the results and where we go from here. My bloods had dropped into the normal range which I expected. How much was diet, how much was the medication? Who knows, mostly the meds I suspect. The doctor is still perplexed and has referred me on to an endocrinologist which will take 6 to 8 weeks to get an appointment. She has also referred me on to get a place on the DESMOND programme - an educational programme by the HSE for newly diagnosed diabetics. The question of hemochromatosis seems less likely now as my transferrin saturation level was 48%, normal is 20-50%. My HbA1c - tells you your average level of blood sugar over the past 2 to 3 months, also called glycated hemoglobin test and glycohemoglobin. This was not expected to change too much in two weeks but it was down to 115 which was a drop of 10 points. Normal is 20 - 42 so it's still extremely high. I will be back again in 8 weeks or so repeat the tests and just make sure that the HbA1c is coming down and that the medication is working.

• Advertisement

Based on experience I wouldn't be a fan of the half distance bike leg in Lough Cutra. The road surface is shocking. My under carriage was cut to bits after it last year.

P.

Advertisement