Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent splitting

Options
  • 02-07-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

All,

My housemates girlfriend has moved in to our permanently house for 3 months. We are currently paying the following (excluding the girlfriend);

Small single room: €520
    Standard double room + parking: €690
    Slightly bigger double room + ensuite: €690
    Total Rent = €1900 (a lot...I know)

My housemate lives in the standard double + parking room. I am looking for your opinions on how you would go about dealing with the rent of a new person staying in that room.

Take into account that:
    - the living space (excluding the rooms) is quite large
    - me and the other housemate do not know the girlfriend
    - bills come to approx. €150 per month for the house
    - the share bathroom will now be shared between three people

She has offered to contribute €400 towards rent and bills which is fair enough. However, there is a big debate going on about how to split the €400 between the three of us.

The suggested option at the moment is to split her €400 the following way:
    Small single room: €150
    Standard double room (which will now have 2 people) + parking: €100
    Slightly bigger double room + ensuite: €150

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

How about sharing it on pro-rata basis.

The two guys who pay €690 will take 36% of €400 which would be €144 each.

The person paying €520 will take 28% of €400 which would be €112.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

To be honest in my view the boyfriend shouldn't be getting a cent out of that 400 euro for rent. Take 200 each and then when the bills come you and the other person should give him 1/6th of it each to cover it. Alternatively it might be fair to keep the bill in three chunks and let them split their third between them.

He's the one who wants to move the girlfriend in, why should his rent decrease as a result? I know a friend who lived with two others and when one of them moved his OH in he had the cheek to suggest that his rent stay the same and they both pay half "because we're sharing a room". It's his choice to move her in, he pays the same rent as he always has.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why would someone pay for parking in a house?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

... in my view the boyfriend shouldn't be getting a cent out of that 400 euro for rent.

Damn right!
    ... Alternatively it might be fair to keep the bill in three chunks and let them split their third between them.

Hell No! 1 (wo)man, 1 vote, 1 share of the bill !
    He's the one who wants to move the girlfriend in, why should his rent decrease as a result?

Amen brother!
    I know a friend who lived with two others and when one of them moved his OH in he had the cheek to suggest that his rent stay the same and they both pay half "because we're sharing a room".

You told him where to go right?

----

As you can guess I'm not a fan of boyfriends/girlfriends moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I will preface what I said above by conceding that it is a bit of a hard ass stance to take, especially if the OP is good friends with the couple. You need to be firm, and if this is the first time you've lived with a couple then best of luck because you might need it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bonniebe

Idbatterim wrote: »
    why would someone pay for parking in a house?

This is because there is a gated community with one assigned parking space in the house and other people in the house could use it. It's not a driveway / on street parking.

I will preface what I said above by conceding that it is a bit of a hard ass stance to take, especially if the OP is good friends with the couple. You need to be firm, and if this is the first time you've lived with a couple then best of luck because you might need it ;)

You are right, we are friends and do not want there to be a falling out over this but would obviously like to do what is fair. Never lived with a couple before...I wouldn't even suggest my girlfriend to move in with the lads, but there was not much choice for my flatmate as the girlfriend was coming from abroad and the house she had planned to live in fell through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

There's a rent calculator around here, made by some of the most pedantic tight arsés around.
    Use that to calculate all factors. and you will get a very fair number for all.
    It's probably linked in the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

The bills are approximately €50 each, based on €150 a month.

Right the other two split €350 between them, and the remaining €50 goes into the bills pot.

The boyfriend wants his gf to move in - why should he also benefit financially?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is zealous, but it is a useful tool. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603

I would aim for something like

Small single room: €465
    Standard double room + parking: €825 (two people)
    Slightly bigger double room + ensuite: €610
    Total Rent = €1900 (a lot...I know)

Bills to be split 4 ways, unless someone has something special, e.g. Sky Sports

It would be normal for the couple to have the en-suite, but that might be difficult.

Advertisement