Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs Day

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bnt wrote: »
    there will be a "grassroots" campaign to celebrate the day regardless.
    I can imagine some pubs doing something. Just like some non-diageo pubs had anti-arthurs day things with free (decent) stout etc.
    topper75 wrote: »
    Having a bull**** corporate day as an annual 'festival' and rolling it over on into subsequent years? Cynical, but within the rules.
    What is so cynical about it?

Heineken "got away" with having 13 years of similar festivals -subsidised bands and venues only selling heineken, some with it cheaply.
    2 History
    2.1 1996 festival
    2.2 1997 festival
    2.3 1998 festival
    2.4 1999 festival
    2.5 2000 festival
    2.6 2001 festival
    2.7 2002 festival
    2.8 2003 festival
    2.9 2004 festival
    2.10 2005 festival
    2.11 2006 festival
    2.12 2007 festival
    2.13 2008 festival

Heineken still have sponsored music events too.

Budweiser also had plenty of bud rising festivals too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

gctest50 wrote: »
    March 5 is ............ National Absinthe Day!

And you know what March 6th is?

Nobody does. Because nobody can ever get out of bed after March 5th. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What I find most surprising about the anti-Arthur's Day backlash is how many people attack it not for any of the usual reasons but simply because, in their opinion, Guinness tastes like sh!te. Surprising only because spend any amount of time in a pub and you're going to see a massive number of Guinnesses being bought, so either the online hate for the taste is highly unrepresentative of the general population, or there are a huge number of people who drink it without actually liking it, which is a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

What I find most surprising about the anti-Arthur's Day backlash is how many people attack it not for any of the usual reasons but simply because, in their opinion, Guinness tastes like sh!te. Surprising only because spend any amount of time in a pub and you're going to see a massive number of Guinnesses being bought, so either the online hate for the taste is highly unrepresentative of the general population, or there are a huge number of people who drink it without actually liking it, which is a bit odd.
    Uneducated pallettes that haven't been exposed to or tried non-macro beers is all

Different strokes for different folks, no judgement here ;)

Uneducated pallettes that haven't been exposed to or tried non-macro beers is all

Sure, just curious - I drank my first pint of Guinness on the first Arthur's Day ironically enough, and didn't like it at all - but this was because I was so used to necking lagers like Dutch and Corona that the idea of (a) leaving the pint along for a minute to settle, and (b) drinking it relatively slowly were entirely alien concepts to me at the time :p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sure, just curious - I drank my first pint of Guinness on the first Arthur's Day ironically enough, and didn't like it at all - but this was because I was so used to necking lagers like Dutch and Corona that the idea of (a) leaving the pint along for a minute to settle, and (b) drinking it relatively slowly were entirely alien concepts to me at the time :p

I think a lot of people don't like their first taste of it especially if they're used to lager. Seems to be something that grows on you over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Aaaand I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I don't understand these "glad this one-time sham of an event is gone".

Isn't every single holiday or tradition a sham that is thought up at one stage until it's around long enough for people to see it as a credible tradishion or holiday?

Don't think St. Patrick was all about the beer in fairness, yet here we are every 17th of March getting polluted in tradishion for no other reason than St. Patrick performed some mythical miracles. It's extraordinarily hypocritical.

Me, I'm all for events that get people to come together and have a laugh, beer or no beer, the music was just a great bonus thrown on top.

If you didn't like it you could've stayed at home and you would've never noticed a thing. So simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

rubadub wrote: »
    What is so cynical about it?

They had a 200 year anniversary. Made a mint. And then rolled it on to a 201 anniversary. It was a shakedown presented as a celebration. Can't see the cynical greed of that? Then I cannot show you the white of snow, nor the green of grass either.

c_man wrote: »
    Aaaand I'm out.
    Ciao Mr. Selective Quoting :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Oh, a beer snob. How refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Uneducated pallettes

My pallete missed a lot of school growing up because its daddy was drunk all the time and used to shout and beat it so it couldn't do any homework.

The Dagda wrote: »
    Oh, a beer snob. How refreshing.
    What part of "different strokes for different folks, no judgement here" did you not understand?

What part of "different strokes for different folks, no judgement here" did you not understand?

I'm not a beer snob, but...

I'm not a beer snob, but...
    What a tosser, judge much? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    good. absolute disaster of a day.

15 year olds spewing up Guinness everywhere, we already have Paddy's Day for that.

And the Junior Cert, innit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

People who aren't really able to drink like to bash it, you know the types who might just be able to handle some mule piss lager. They probably feel insecure around the real drinkers at the bar, the men's men.

They wouldn't like whiskey either, they'd prefer a vodka and red bull. They're also more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes.

What a tosser, judge much? :rolleyes:

Your educated pallette is a bit sensitive... :rolleyes:

Your educated pallette is a bit sensitive... :rolleyes:
    Nah, just have predaliction to disliking tossers is all :p

Have a nice day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yippee........
    Hated this stupid day.

You are some sad git. If you don't like the day or don't feel a connection to it don't participate, but "hating" the day?

What a twat!

• Advertisement

Nah, just have predaliction to disliking tossers is all :p

Have a nice day ;)

Do you mean predilection? :rolleyes:

^^^:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kitten_k wrote: »

Read the fupping article. Its been replaced. Whingers can still whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

c_man wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about what people abroad think of us. So we drink, at least we're not invading other countries, supporting and propping up dictatorships, manufacturing arms on a colossal scale and then selling them to anyone with a cheque book, voting for racist parties... Compared to most of our neighbours, we're fecking angels.

Why did God create alcohol?
    To stop the Irish taking over the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Meanwhile, the first hurricane of the Atlantic season formed yesterday, and its name is Arthur. Coincidence?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

awec wrote: »
    I think a lot of people don't like their first taste of it especially if they're used to lager. Seems to be something that grows on you over time.

Sure, I mean it was free all night on the first Arthur's Day and after not liking my first pint all that much I went into Toners (where they had a whole bunch of pints lined up on the bar that you could just walk up and take) and asked for a Corona, the entire bar literally went silent and stared at me, so I was like "Eh... Just kidding, a guinness really!" and they all went "TO ARTHURRRRRR" :D Pretty hilarious night

I realize of course that this whole anecdote is basically proof of how powerful Arthur's Day is as a marketing tool, as Guinness is now one of my favourite beers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

topper75 wrote: »
    My pallete missed a lot of school growing up because its daddy was drunk all the time and used to shout and beat it so it couldn't do any homework.
    My pallet has spent all of its life working. Always weighed down with some or other unreasonably heavy burden. I saw it in Aldi the other day, creaking under crates of red lemonade ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement