Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 920 Lost Videos

Options
  • 02-07-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Anyone have problems with lost video footage on a Nokia Lumia 920?

I took video footage at a wedding over the weekend. One video vanished completely on the phone itself. Some others wouldn't work when I cut and paste them onto my PC - they were only showing up as 5mg files, and a few seconds would play on VLC but that's it.

Very disappointing as I have a ****ty old samsung and all my videos on that came out. I was planning on giving a short vid to the bride and groom, but about half my vids didn't transfer properly to my PC.

I thought windows phone should work well with windows PC. And yes, I shouldn't have cut and paste without checking, but a 50% success rate doesn't fill me with confidence for using the phone for videos in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

shnaek wrote: »
    Anyone have problems with lost video footage on a Nokia Lumia 920?

I took video footage at a wedding over the weekend. One video vanished completely on the phone itself. Some others wouldn't work when I cut and paste them onto my PC - they were only showing up as 5mg files, and a few seconds would play on VLC but that's it.

Very disappointing as I have a ****ty old samsung and all my videos on that came out. I was planning on giving a short vid to the bride and groom, but about half my vids didn't transfer properly to my PC.

I thought windows phone should work well with windows PC. And yes, I shouldn't have cut and paste without checking, but a 50% success rate doesn't fill me with confidence for using the phone for videos in the future.

I saw this happen on an old lumia 800 when it was getting low on free space, how much free space on your lumia 920? In a worst case scenario you might have to hard reset to ensure that it records properly in future.

In the meanwhile try doing a soft reset and seeing if any videos show up afterwards. And yeah I wouldn't recommend cut and paste!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Don't suppose you were signed in to a Microsoft account and had AutoUpload turned on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

long_b wrote: »
    Don't suppose you were signed in to a Microsoft account and had AutoUpload turned on ?

Had it turned on, but it only uploads if there's a wifi connection and there wasn't any at the wedding.

I saw this happen on an old lumia 800 when it was getting low on free space, how much free space on your lumia 920? In a worst case scenario you might have to hard reset to ensure that it records properly in future.

In the meanwhile try doing a soft reset and seeing if any videos show up afterwards. And yeah I wouldn't recommend cut and paste!

Would have been about 8gigs free, so it should have been okay.

I'll try the soft reset. Thanks.

Soft reset didn't work. I'll just have to chalk it down to bad experience and not rely on the phone again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Are you sure someone didn't gain access to your phone to delete an 'incriminating' video?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Are you running the Windows Phone 8.1 update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Firmware maybe? Iirc the black update carried alot of fixes for the video camera bugs?

TBi wrote: »
    Are you sure someone didn't gain access to your phone to delete an 'incriminating' video?
    Lol! No - that didn't happen. Got nothing incriminating on there.

theothernt wrote: »
    Are you running the Windows Phone 8.1 update yet?
    No - I didn't update - I decided to wait.
    Firmware maybe? Iirc the black update carried alot of fixes for the video camera bugs?
    I have the latest firmware.

I did a search and it looks like the Nokia Camera App has caused this problem on a few occasions. It's intermittent with me, which makes the video function useless. I've missed out on lovely vids of my kids because the thing doesn't save.

What it does is save around 5,000kb of the vid (the first couple of seconds) and then the rest of the vid is missing. The vids don't even show up on the phone itself - it's only when I connect it to a PC that I can see the 5,000kb files.

I've gone back to the bog standard camera app and I am hoping that will work. I've lost so many vids now that are irreplaceable - really disappointed in the phone considering it was their flagship.

Similar issue, a few months ago I noticed that whenever I recorded a video, there would be no audio on the playback.

Still can't get to the bottom of it as the only lead I had was that it might be a firmware fault but as the lads here have told me, my firmware is up to date.

• Advertisement

Similar issue, a few months ago I noticed that whenever I recorded a video, there would be no audio on the playback.

Still can't get to the bottom of it as the only lead I had was that it might be a firmware fault but as the lads here have told me, my firmware is up to date.

Bizarre, and very annoying - particularly with video which is often irreplaceable.

Bizarre, and very annoying - particularly with video which is often irreplaceable.

Exactly. Even checked one drive to see if the it was a hardware problem but alas, they had no audio eight.
    Will try WPcentral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've gone back to the bog standard camera app and I am hoping that will work. I've lost so many vids now that are irreplaceable - really disappointed in the phone considering it was their flagship.

have you had the same issue with the default app?

beauf wrote: »
    have you had the same issue with the default app?

Not so far. I've only taken a couple of short videos on it, but they've saved fine. Still not convinced until it's been working for a while.

Trouble with the default app is it doesn't focus as well as the Nokia one.

Advertisement