Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbie Matthews

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

I really don't want to get drawn into a debate on this issue so this will be my last post on this matter.

Issues like suicide should of course be discussed in a open transparent manner. You are in right in saying there should be no taboos and I completely agree. My point has been somewhat skewed, not on purpose I know but I would like to clarify why I disagree with posting/speculating how someone died. I believe this forum should not be used in such a manner and was disappointed to read one comment in particular.

Issues like suicide, for example, shouldn't be discussed when talking about someones passing, especially on an open forum like this. It's a very personal matter, particularly to his family and close friends. Above all we must respect that. If people want to talk about their own personal experiences in relation to depression etc I would like to read and hear about that because as you said, it should be talked and discussed openly.

Simply put, I would not like a family member of mine talked about in such a matter.

I respect your opinion but in my opinion, there is a time and place.

But when exactly is that time and place? To say it's a discussion for another day is simply sweeping the issue under the carpet as the discussion will never take place.

If talking openly about about what happened to one of our peers helps just one person seek help then it has been worthwhile.

Not talking about what happened leads to idle gossip and speculation which can be even more devastating for a family.

Im not having a go at you DR as I do understand your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I really don't want to get drawn into a debate on this issue so this will be my last post on this matter.

Issues like suicide should of course be discussed in a open transparent manner. You are in right in saying there should be no taboos and I completely agree. My point has been somewhat skewed, not on purpose I know but I would like to clarify why I disagree with posting/speculating how someone died. I believe this forum should not be used in such a manner and was disappointed to read one comment in particular.

Issues like suicide, for example, shouldn't be discussed when talking about someones passing, especially on an open forum like this. It's a very personal matter, particularly to his family and close friends. Above all we must respect that. If people want to talk about their own personal experiences in relation to depression etc I would like to read and hear about that because as you said, it should be talked and discussed openly.

Simply put, I would not like a family member of mine talked about in such a matter.

I respect your opinion but in my opinion, there is a time and place.

I do get where you're coming from DR, but For me alarm bells go off as soon as I hear the words "shouldnt be discussed". Its your perogative, and anybody elses, to not engage in a discussion about a particular topic when you dont want to, thats fair enough. But its not for anybody else to say it shouldnt be discussed at certain times, Its up to the individual to decide if they want to talk about it or not, when they themselves choose to talk about it.
    But Im not having a go at you, I respect your opinion aswell so I'll leave at that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Maybe it's time for the two topics to be split Into separate threads as it's quite uncomfortable as it is and there are crossed wires.
    I see this thread as a dedication to the athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This man had a family and probably had children. He is not some public figure or celebrity. Why is it that he cannot be afforded some consideration when sympathising? He's dead all of a few days and there's quite sensitive details being posted on a public forum regarding the cause of death. It is not the right place to be discussing this.

Advertisement