Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird situation, sale of a car.

Options
  • 01-07-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

OK, to timeline this would probably be the easiest way. to give you a background to the car, the advertised price was €500, we settled on a little less and a €50 deposit was given. it is a 1980's car in need of light restoration work and it was clearly advertised and understood by the buyer that it had to be towed away as it wasn't drivable for more than a short distance.

june 22nd, i advertise a car for sale, late, around 11pm.

june 23rd, a man gets in contact early, comes to view the car and deposits it before lunch, says he will return the following day, or at the latest 2 days time to collect it.

june 26th, a day after he was supposed to collect it, he texts, says he will pick it up tomorrow, or at the latest 2 days time... again!

july the 1st and i've heard nothing since. 10 days after the deposit was taken.

i was really only selling the car as i need the space, not the money. given the amount of money we aren't talking here i thought it would be gone fast, which was my wish.

initially i was going to call him and say i'd like to return his deposit as there was some other interest in the car at the time and realistically i wanted it gone quickly and i can't hang around any longer and i'l have to re-advertise it. i would have scrapped it by now if it hadn't sold bar the fact that it is "sale agreed".

but then i thought, this undermines what taking a deposit is all about. should i withhold the deposit? then i thought this was a little harsh also because i didn't stipulate a specific date that i needed it removed by.

interested in opinions on this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Keep the deposit and move on.

So many messers out there.

Unless he contacts you with a VALID excuse for late collection in the very near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

Id ring him and tell him that if he has not collected the car by x time tomorrow you will have to re-advertise it as you need the space. I'd only return the deposit if he had a good excuse as to why he has not collected it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i just want to scrap it, not even to re-advertise. just gone :P

i thought i'd wait until friday, that'd be a fortnight.

i've no issue giving back the deposit really, but i feel aggrieved and i'm not sure if i should. i mean the deposit is there as a guarantee of his commitment to purchase. what would a deposit stand for if i were to give it back? but i think this is all indefinite if i didn't set a final date of collection with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

i just want to scrap it, not even to re-advertise. just gone :P

i thought i'd wait until friday, that'd be a fortnight.

i've no issue giving back the deposit really, but i feel aggrieved and i'm not sure if i should. i mean the deposit is there as a guarantee of his commitment to purchase. what would a deposit stand for if i were to give it back? but i think this is all indefinite if i didn't set a final date of collection with him.
    What car is it?

only a mk1 Corsa A. nothing truly special. agree'd to let it go for €300. it was in OK condition, needed a bit of TLC. The way i seen it, it was a nice cheap entry into the classic/ older car scene for someone, even if it is a rather mundane car. it was relatively solid, really all it needed was a new battery, the brakes freeing up and a set of headlights and a bit of love.

i have space here for 4 cars and i wanted to keep the glanza, so this was my least favourite and had to go. i would rather see someone enjoy it before i sent it to the crusher which was why i advertised it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

only a mk1 Corsa A. nothing truly special. agree'd to let it go for €300. it was in OK condition, needed a bit of TLC. The way i seen it, it was a nice cheap entry into the classic/ older car scene for someone, even if it is a rather mundane car. it was relatively solid, really all it needed was a new battery, the brakes freeing up and a set of headlights and a bit of love.

i have space here for 4 cars and i wanted to keep the glanza, so this was my least favourite and had to go. i would rather see someone enjoy it before i sent it to the crusher which was why i advertised it.

You could always advertise it as free to take away!

i'd have no hassle removing it myself if needs be. i was just sentimental and didn't want to end the cars life yet i don't feel as though i should spoon feed the buyer by asking him to come back for it or dropping it to him myself.

if you advertise a fee car, every **** in the country will be at your door i'd say. i think i'l give it until friday, i think that's reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

scrap_man wrote: »
    Id ring him and tell him that if he has not collected the car by x time tomorrow you will have to re-advertise it as you need the space. I'd only return the deposit if he had a good excuse as to why he has not collected it already.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

You would have more chance of a sale if you let other people buy it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

If this guy doesn't get back to you I have a young nephew who'd absolutely love to buy this from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

What part of the country are you in. I'd be interested in this to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Text him and tell him it needs to be gone by Friday, or you'll have to readvertise and deposit is gone, as he agreed to take it within 2 days. That was the agreement.

ok, it's a fortnight today. i just text to say if it isn't gone by monday he will lose his deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

You have been more than helpful with this guy, I would have sold the car on again long ago!

Has he still not said anything?

not a word from him since june 25th. i put the ad back up today, then i felt guilty having made no contact with him, so removed it, at least until he makes contact so we know where we stand. at least if he doesn't respond by tonight i can advertise it saturday and sunday and if nothing happens scrap it monday/ tuesday or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

I'm looking for a small car for my daughter.
    Would gladly pay the €300 and take it away.

i doubt she'd drive this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jeefff

Can I have it please? :D I'd love a small classic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Don't give back the deposit
    What's the point in taking a deposit if you give it back when the buyer cancels the sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What's the point in taking a deposit if you give it back when the buyer cancels the sale
    Or even worse, doesn't cancel the sale and simply slopes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on the situation really. There is no hard and fast rule for this imo; if someone gives you a deposit and then comes back the next day and has a genuine reason for pulling out of a sale then I dont see any reason to keep their money. However if, like with the OP, the buyer dicks them around and they have most likely had to pass up other buyers, then I think its fair enough that they forfeir the deposit.

djimi wrote: »
    It depends on the situation really. There is no hard and fast rule for this imo; if someone gives you a deposit and then comes back the next day and has a genuine reason for pulling out of a sale then I dont see any reason to keep their money. However if, like with the OP, the buyer dicks them around and they have most likely had to pass up other buyers, then I think its fair enough that they forfeir the deposit.

Nah I'd disagree.
    If for any reason a buyer pulls out of a sale after handing over the deposit (apart from seller not fulfilling part of the deal or something) then it's tough luck for the buyer, don't pay a deposit and waste my time then expect to get the deposit back

Nah I'd disagree.
    If for any reason a buyer pulls out of a sale after handing over the deposit (apart from seller not fulfilling part of the deal or something) then it's tough luck for the buyer, don't pay a deposit and waste my time then expect to get the deposit back

Which is exactly the reason why I am so loathe to get involved with private sales. Its not a very mature attitude and honestly its borderline dishonest if the person hasnt really dicked you around and hasnt cost you any money in the process. Im not talking about a situation like the OP is in; Im talking about where someone gives you a deposit some evening and then rings up the next morning to cancel the sale; there is no earthly reason why you should keep their money in this instance.

Which is exactly the reason why I am so loathe to get involved with private sales. Its not a very mature attitude and honestly its borderline dishonest if the person hasnt really dicked you around and hasnt cost you any money in the process. Im not talking about a situation like the OP is in; Im talking about where someone gives you a deposit some evening and then rings up the next morning to cancel the sale; there is no earthly reason why you should keep their money in this instance.

Riiiight.
    So, what is the point of a deposit if the buyer can just ask for it back?
    In between the evening and morning above I could have lost a sale from a genuine buyer.
    One of my pet peeves, is timewasters when selling a car. I've sold quite a few through donedeal and you really do meet all sorts of timewasters, messers, last price merchants, "what de taaax on dat, laadd" etc.

Really irritating. If you're not serious about buying the car, don't go view it. And if you do go view it, don't give a feckin deposit if you've no intention of buying! :mad:

Riiiight.
    So, what is the point of a deposit if the buyer can just ask for it back?
    In between the evening and morning above I could have lost a sale from a genuine buyer.
    One of my pet peeves, is timewasters when selling a car. I've sold quite a few through donedeal and you really do meet all sorts of timewasters, messers, last price merchants, "what de taaax on dat, laadd" etc.

Really irritating. If you're not serious about buying the car, don't go view it. And if you do go view it, don't give a feckin deposit if you've no intention of buying! :mad:

And there in lies the lack of maturity about the situation imo. People can have genuine reasons to have to pull out of a deal; its not all timewasting you know, and just because someone has to pull of a deal for whatever reason doesnt mean that they werent serious to begin with and were only looking to mess you around. **** happens, and honestly if them pulling out of the deal has no cost you any money then there is no earthly reason why you should think that you are entitled to keep their money. And chances are you have not lost out on money in the space of 12 hours overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

its only 50 euros deposit.....sell the car, ring yer man tell him to collect the deposit, end of story....
    ps, if selling again,all money up front,no deposit, full payment or no car. were only talking 300 here.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Maybe he's dead!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

hallo dare wrote: »
    Maybe he's dead!!!!:eek:

It happens.

And there in lies the lack of maturity about the situation imo. People can have genuine reasons to have to pull out of a deal; its not all timewasting you know, and just because someone has to pull of a deal for whatever reason doesnt mean that they werent serious to begin with and were only looking to mess you around. **** happens, and honestly if them pulling out of the deal has no cost you any money then there is no earthly reason why you should think that you are entitled to keep their money. And chances are you have not lost out on money in the space of 12 hours overnight.

"lack of maturity" to think a non refundable deposit should not be returned when the buyer decides to pull out?
    Right.

Deposit changes hands, and that's it. Done.
    Lets hope you never try to buy a car from me then cancel the deal after putting down a deposit. ;)

• Advertisement

"lack of maturity" to think a non refundable deposit should not be returned when the buyer decides to pull out?
    Right.

Deposit changes hands, and that's it. Done.
    Lets hope you never try to buy a car from me then cancel the deal after putting down a deposit. ;)

Do you give a receipt that specifies non-refundable deposit?

And I think it shows a lack of maturity to think that anyone who ever pulls out of a deal was a timewaster and was not serious about the deal. Like I said, people have genuine reasons sometimes. Its up to you what you do with their money, however it is my opinion that it is not particularly honest to keep someones money when they have caused you little inconvenience and have cost you no money. A deposit afterall is supposed to be there to safeguard against financial loss; its not there to suppliment your income. Just my opinion.

I dont buy cars privately full stop (unless it was sub €1000 maybe); Im perfectly happy to pay a premium to deal with a proper dealer and get the legal protection that comes from that.

Advertisement