Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Championship 2014 ** Read The Charter Before Posting **

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Leonardo di Caprio will definitely be playing Fowler if there's ever a biopic about him.

Or Johnny Depp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I am almost dumbfounded over the whole autograph nonsense. Such a non issue.

Well done Rory on a great victory. I can only imagine how good it must feel. Thoroughly deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Richard wrote: »
    Or Johnny Depp.

I think the point is that he looks very very like Di Caprio. Almost uncannily so.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tjspock

if against the rules re the autograph ,then fair enough!

tjspock wrote: »
    if against the rules re the autograph ,then fair enough!
    It clearly was. There were an awful lot of people going on the wrong side of the ropes. I thought the stewards were making a complete mess of it. When a competitor has to eventually point out a spectator to them after being heckled for 16 holes and when people can go running into a restricted area looking for autographs, then they aren't doing their jobs.

• Advertisement

As predicted, Rory up to No. 2 today. Full ranking list isn't updated yet, only the top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

People saying he pushed a kid aside. God Lord that lump must have been 16 years old and as big as myself. Some people need to get real.

I think The R&A will have been unhappy with the poor behaviour over the weekend of the crowd.

1. Similar to the Irish Open- Too much drink been consumed on the course. In a sport which requires quite at the correct time, booze should be restricted to the tented village.

2. The crowd was not atmospheric. Rowdy would better describe them.

3. The child breaching the ropes on 13. Security can only watch so much. People need to take responsibility. I guarantee that chile asked its guardian if they could run out like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

rrpc wrote: »
    It clearly was. There were an awful lot of people going on the wrong side of the ropes. I thought the stewards were making a complete mess of it. When a competitor has to eventually point out a spectator to them after being heckled for 16 holes and when people can go running into a restricted area looking for autographs, then they aren't doing their jobs.

That could have being a Monica Seles moment there, when that teenager sneaked up from behind them, fairly poor by the security staff.
    He was in a bar briefly in Dawson st recently,but had to leave because of all the idiots who "just wanted an autograph" or were shoving a phone in his face so that they could get selfie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Seemed like a few rowdy fans had gone this year. Maybe a pint too many for some ha. A few times some players weren't happy with people getting too close to the greens, making noise, and camera shutters as they were swinging.

Wasn't there one point where some had starting coming near the green and the players had to wait to get people away from it before the could take their approach? Obviously just a minority and I know the excitement might just get to some of the fans.

Good display from Rory but he seemed a bit nervous on final day, understandable though. Yet again Fowler played his socks off...if he keeps playing like that won't be too long until he wins one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Also at one stage a bloke wandered out onto the members tee right as Sergio was taking a drive, I think maybe around 12 or so?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Also at one stage a bloke wandered out onto the members tee right as Sergio was taking a drive, I think maybe around 12 or so?
    I saw that, couldn't believe it at the time. I thought at first that he might have been staff, but then realised he was just a punter. The thing is that even when Sergio teed off, he still didn't budge.

There were things like that happening all day long. When you're watching, it's like hearing a bum note in a favourite piece of music, almost wtf. The issue of the guy heckling McIlroy and Fowler through 16 holes was bizarre. Apparently he shouted "Sergio" as Fowler was putting on the 15th.

He 'coughed' as McIlroy was making his downswing on the 16th and that was the final straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

rrpc wrote: »
    I think the point is that he looks very very like Di Caprio. Almost uncannily so.

I think his facial hair makes him look like Depp. I thought that before I thought Di Caprio.

But we digress...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I followed Rory as a kid up in Sligo in the semi-final and final of the West and you knew even then he was going to be a great one. I've followed his career since then and watched as he improved and got big into fitness which has clearly paid off.

He now has three majors and I should be jumping around the place delighted for another Irishman achieving that but I really don't care about the guy anymore.<MOD EDIT>
    He will go on to win many more majors undoubtedly and could even challenge as the GOAT at some stage but he will have to do a lot to win back the hearts of a lot of people who were fully behind him until recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No Nationality Discussion guys.
    No more warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Rory has awesome skills and has achieved great stuff at whats a very young age for a golfer. Congratulations to that. I don't begrudge him, quite the opposite.

But I can't say that I'm much of a fan and probably never will be. Don't dislike him either, just feel indifferent about him, not really much of a personality imo. I know people will disagree but that kind of thing is very subjective and thats just the way I feel. I don't think that equates to putting him down or anything.

I like people who have something going for them on top of their talent. Like Bubba for his raw talent and quirkiness, or Kaymer for being such a gent, Tiger for his 'I don't give a sh1t' awesomeness, Jimenez for being such a legend, you get the picture. I think Rory comes across just a bit too polished, too predictable, too public and too desperate to live up to everyones expectations.

I'm also aware that this is just his public image and all this circus surely must be a heavy load on a young mans shoulders. He actually seems sound enough. But some people you like, some you don't and some you don't care either way. Sympathy isnt necessarily a very rational thing.

He'll never be more awesome than Tiger tho. :D

Edit: I don't think going out trying to find faults (e.g. like the silly non issue autograph thing) is fair on the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Boskowski wrote: »

Edit: I don't think going out trying to find faults (e.g. like the silly non issue autograph thing) is fair on the lad
    I agree for the most part with you on your post but this in particular. Picking out little things like that is just ridiculous.

Like every star he is always going to be hounded for autographs and pics no matter where he goes. While he is doing his job he should not be subjected to that sort of stuff. That kid should not have been there and he should know better too than to ask for an autograph in that situation.

I never heard people giving out about Monty for those sort of things and he was not nice in situations like that. Tiger too doesn't just stop and give up his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Monty has been on a charm offensive the last few years. He will never be let forgotten about his "You're only here because of me, Remember that" remark.

Tiger has certainly forged a reputation as stand offish and aloof in an "approach him at your peril" manner. In the Hank Haney book, Woods describes autograph hunters as Time Thieves. He certainly has a point.

Apollo 11 astronaut Mike Collins said after the mission if one of them signed an autograph then they would be besieged with people looking for a scribble and could and had been surrounded for an hour plus on ocassion.

I guess it goes back to hope for me. Rory is a bonafide superstar after this. My OH watched it and was disgusted by it. We didn't know of the R&A advice or hear him say "not now sorry" in fairness. Seconds later he embraced the Nike rep outside the score hut. You can see why it left a bitter taste in people's mouths irregardless of the facts there and then. Let's hope he doesn't adopt the Tiger approach here but we'd understand why he would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

snaphook wrote: »
    Monty has been on a charm offensive the last few years. He will never be let forgotten about his "You're only here because of me, Remember that" remark.

Tiger has certainly forged a reputation as stand offish and aloof in an "approach him at your peril" manner. In the Hank Haney book, Woods describes autograph hunters as Time Thieves. He certainly has a point.

Apollo 11 astronaut Mike Collins said after the mission if one of them signed an autograph then they would be besieged with people looking for a scribble and could and had been surrounded for an hour plus on ocassion.

I guess it goes back to hope for me. Rory is a bonafide superstar after this. My OH watched it and was disgusted by it. We didn't know of the R&A advice or hear him say "not now sorry" in fairness. Seconds later he embraced the Nike rep outside the score hut. You can see why it left a bitter taste in people's mouths irregardless of the facts there and then. Let's hope he doesn't adopt the Tiger approach here but we'd understand why he would.

Are we still talking about the autograph...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Are we still talking about the autograph...?

No, just Snaphook and his missus apparently...

Advertisement