Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pontins

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I went to Butlins Pwhelli in North Wales a few times as a kid with the family, loved it every time. These days though I fear the rose-tinted memories would kick in and that would be that, a bunch of good memories. Highly doubtful that it is the same fun place today, If I had kids in future I'd never take them there...holidays and holiday parks like that are just not the same these days, a different time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Slightly off-topic, but who remembers the smell of salty chips on Tramore Promenade???

Never mind yere fancy holiday camps, Tramore was where it was at for our family. Every. Single. Year. In a caravan.

But them chips.........*insert Homer-esque drooling sound here*

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

We've taken to going to Haven and Park caravan sites lately.

We prefer them to the likes of Butlins. There's none of the enforced jollity and drunkenness you see in a holiday camp. The caravans are much more comfortable than the chalets you get in a Butlins. They have all the main facilities you need such as a pool, bar, playground, shop and kids activities. And much cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We always went to Pontins as kids and there was never any entertainment on in the daytime. It was atrocious really as the ballroom and the cabaret bar were always empty...it was like a ghost town in the day.

Kids played in the playground or in the slot-machine area.
    Entertainment was good at night.

Was OK at the time but reading recent reviews on TripAdvisor it seems the place has gone downhill drastically with people saying the chalets are filthy.

When we went, the place had been refurbished and it was clean but basic.
    It's not somewhere I'd ever consider returning to even if I had young kids because it's just dated and it'd cost as much in Sterling as it would to go to Spain for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

We used to go on Haven holidays in Wales before going abroad. We loved them! Think they're along the same idea as Pontins...

I'd love to go back and see if its changed much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Sleepy wrote: »
    We got a cheap Ferry deal to North Wales last year and stayed in a Centre Parks resort..... we couldn't help feel like we were in an episode of Shameless.

Maybe that's why Pontins was operating a blacklist of dodgy surnames to be kept out of their parks?
    It wasn't the [url=https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/pontins-traveller-gypsy-blacklist-surnames-ehrc-892968?fbclid=IwAR2QV977gEkkVpuPQJNtadzrOuTHjdpu_wX6vo1Y0vfF-H326UILztitB08
    ]Irish at all[/url]. Just the Shameless characters. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

I have a vague memory of going to Pontins or it could have been Butlins in the late late 80s.

I cant remember what happened. We got bad service or it was a kip or something like that. My dad ended up telling them to ****off and we ended up having to go somewhere else.

Maybe that's why Pontins was operating a blacklist of dodgy surnames to be kept out of their parks?
    It wasn't the [url=https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/pontins-traveller-gypsy-blacklist-surnames-ehrc-892968?fbclid=IwAR2QV977gEkkVpuPQJNtadzrOuTHjdpu_wX6vo1Y0vfF-H326UILztitB08
    ]Irish at all[/url]. Just the Shameless characters. :)

That list is outrageous.

Only Irish people are allowed discriminate against travellers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Holy bump batman.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Theres a new thread here for this: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058165059

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement