Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a good juicer.

Options
  • 29-06-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to get a Nutribullet but Argos seem to be out of them.

Can anyone recommend anything similar -or just a few words of advice as to what to look for in a good juicer ?

Ease of use and ease of cleaning would be high on my list of priorities....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

amandstu wrote: »
    I was hoping to get a Nutribullet but Argos seem to be out of them.

Can anyone recommend anything similar -or just a few words of advice as to what to look for in a good juicer ?

Ease of use and ease of cleaning would be high on my list of priorities....

Avoid centrifugal juicers. Spelt wrong. You want a masticating juicer. It's a much much better juicing process. Von shef do a good one on Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Mr_Red wrote: »

Yes, that's the type to avoid OP. Do a little research and you'll see why

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes, that's the type to avoid OP. Do a little research and you'll see why

Why avoid it?...... I just said i have one and I LOVE IT.

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Why avoid it?...... I just said i have one and I LOVE IT.

I had one too. When I did the research I found out how inferior they were. Not the brand, but the type of juicer

• Advertisement

The type OP is interested in
    1 you can't store the juice
    2 the juicer uses speed and heat ( from the blades ) to extract the juice
    3 it doesn't extract the same quality or quantity of juice
    4 the juice is open to oxidation and therefore prone to bacteria much sooner
    5 the juice should be drank within 20 mins for max benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

Well I can see that the masticating juicers may be superior and also easier to clean and use.

I can't seem to find a store that sells them though except for these online outlets in the UK.

Does anyone know a good store that might have them in stock as that is the way I am used to operating?

you could try powercity

Well I can see that the masticating juicers may be superior and also easier to clean and use.

I can't seem to find a store that sells them though except for these online outlets in the UK.

Does anyone know a good store that might have them in stock as that is the way I am used to operating?
    No sorry. I usually buy through eBay or Amazon

thanks.They (the masticating kind) start at €180 at Powercity (Tefal and Hotpoint).That seems a lot to me.

I will keep asking around and maybe eventually it will have to be online if the price difference is so much.

• Advertisement

thanks.They (the masticating kind) start at €180 at Powercity (Tefal and Hotpoint).That seems a lot to me.

I will keep asking around and maybe eventually it will have to be online if the price difference is so much.

There's a decent one for 54 pound on Amazon. Got great reviews and it'd be perfect for starting off Just in case you don't stick to juicing

thanks.Yes I can see that one.It is the Vonchef I think you must mean.

That might be good (I will go through the reviews and specs) -although I have also been able to do a text and reserve to Argos who are supposed to be getting the Nutribullet except they can't say when so that they will text me when it comes back into stock.

thanks.Yes I can see that one.It is the Vonchef I think you must mean.

That might be good (I will go through the reviews and specs) -although I have also been able to do a text and reserve to Argos who are supposed to be getting the Nutribullet except they can't say when so that they will text me when it comes back into stock.

The nutri bullet looks great. My only concern is that there's more emphasis on using fruit as opposed to veg and the big one is that you should drink it as soon as you make it. I like to make my juice in the morning and drink it throughout the day

From the website ,https://www.nutribullet.com/ it seems to me that this is actually a blender.

To my mind a blender seems better than a juicer but I see from others' contributions on other sites that some people think juices are more nutritional than what you get from a blender.

Would I be right to think that that idea might indicate that that person was more of a fitness freak than what I would consider myself?

Would juicing be more suitable to someone doing serious physical workouts or who monitored their body's condition in a systematic way (which I don't) ?

From the website ,https://www.nutribullet.com/ it seems to me that this is actually a blender.

To my mind a blender seems better than a juicer but I see from others' contributions on other sites that some people think juices are more nutritional than what you get from a blender.

Would I be right to think that that idea might indicate that that person was more of a fitness freak than what I would consider myself?

Would juicing be more suitable to someone doing serious physical workouts or who monitored their body's condition in a systematic way (which I don't) ?
    I would think using the whole fruit/veg would be better but I'm probably reading the same articles as you that are saying the pure juice is best. Maybe some nutritionist on here could settle this for us??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Blended, with the skin included. Most of the vitamins are in the skin, while the flesh (and juice) has a higher ratio of sugars.

From my limited research it looks like there are pros and cons with "juicing" advocates pointing out that the juice is more of a quick fix(as in more quickly assimilated into the bloodstream and more easily digested)

I came across this for example :

http://juicing-for-health.com/juicer-review/what-to-look-for/juicing-vs-blending.html.

For my purposes blending seems better but there would be nothing to prevent you peeling the veg or fruit before you processed them either.-according to taste as it were.

I think you can add seeds and nuts into the mix as well and maybe that would compensate for the loss of nutrients in or under the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I juice and blend, juicing is easier to drink especially in the morning and can add veg like beetroot which Im not sure I'd like blended. If I blend I generally make a "kale shake" with nuts and other stuff added. With juicing the volume of ingredients is probably 4 or 5 times more then when I blend so I guess you are packing it in when juicing. There might be some nutrients if not water soluble you might lose juicing but not sure about this? anyone who has looked into this might clarify. Blending tends to mean I eat a smaller meal or else use it as an after workout snack whereas juicing is on top of what I would normally be eating.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    With juicing the volume of ingredients is probably 4 or 5 times more then when I blend .

I think you must mean less ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,633 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think you must mean less ?

Juicing makes them smaller, so i think he was correct the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If juicing to make just under 2 pints I'd normally need say 1pack of lettuce 1 cucumber , half a pack of celery 2 apples ginger etc. If I blend handful of kale a portion of berries maybe a banana then topped up with water and other stuff so I tend to use much veg in the juicer to get the same 2 pints.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I have a nutri bullet, got it to use up stuff rather than chuck it. Use it mainly for veg. Typically spinach, carrot, brocolli, nuts and maybe a few blueberries, strawberries or raspberries if they are in the fridge with water but they aren't critical, a squeze of lime or lemo juice into it does wonders. Works grand - no need for loads of fruit and I don't see why you need loads of fruit unless you are into the fruit smoothie thing, for myself I don't want the excess sugar that adding loads of fruit brings into it.

I have also have thrown in a scoop or two of unflavoured protein powder after running it and give it a quck pulse to mix it in. Found that if I added the powder at the start it gets whipped into a jelly like substance.

The only other trick I have found is that I like it cold so have a jug of cold water in the fridge, using primarily raw veggies isn't going to win any flavour awards but its very easy to knock back if its cold - not so nice if its warm.

traco wrote: »
    I have a nutri bullet, got it to use up stuff rather than chuck it. Use it mainly for veg. Typically spinach, carrot, brocolli, nuts and maybe a few blueberries, strawberries or raspberries if they are in the fridge with water but they aren't critical, a squeze of lime or lemo juice into it does wonders. Works grand - no need for loads of fruit and I don't see why you need loads of fruit unless you are into the fruit smoothie thing, for myself I don't want the excess sugar that adding loads of fruit brings into it.

I have also have thrown in a scoop or two of unflavoured protein powder after running it and give it a quck pulse to mix it in. Found that if I added the powder at the start it gets whipped into a jelly like substance.

The only other trick I have found is that I like it cold so have a jug of cold water in the fridge, using primarily raw veggies isn't going to win any flavour awards but its very easy to knock back if its cold - not so nice if its warm.

What's the consistency like with it? And do you drink it straight away or chance storing it for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Constistency depends on how much water you add, as mentioned above the nuri bullet is an extreme blender so not adding much water makes it thicker - apart from the protein powder scenario where i think it just whips it up so adding it after running it works better.

The blend is agressive so any particles even from nuts are tiny and not really noticeable, so broccoli, carrot "pieces" aren't anyway noticeable while drinking it.

I've never stored it so can't answer that. Its very quick to lash in the items, blend / juice it and drink it from the container so I just do it that way. Cleaning takes seconds, just rinse and its sorted.

I suppose technically the nutri bullet is blending but its more like a juice as the end product can be much more liquid than a traditional blender. I like it as I put in what I would physicaly eat on a plate as a snack for example so portion sizes can't get out of hand. Adding the water adds volume also. You get all the fibre so the absorbtion is slower and feels more like a meal than a drink.

There are arguments for both sides but for my needs the nutri bullet does the job, primarily that was to use up stuff that might get binned and keep things close to eating real food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Juicerhunter123

Juicer Hunter is your ultimate destination for juicer reviews, comparisons, and buying guides. Discover the perfect juicing companion to elevate your health journey. Let Juicer Hunter be your trusted source in finding the best juicer for your needs

Advertisement