Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who never buy?

Options
  • 29-06-2014 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

How do you pay your rent when you retire?

I'm trying to buy now. Im early 30s so will have a mortgage paid off in early 60s. Some people say "you're mad..rentings the way to go...why do irish people always have to own property...etc etc.." I'm not doing this because im irish and property obsessed, im doing it for the simple practical reason that your income is slashed when you retire - idea being that you would typically own your house outright by then - and as such cannot afford exorbitant rents at that time of your life.

So for people who rent the penthouse for €1700/m their entire life, whats the plan? I'm genuinely curious as it doesnt make sense to me.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Maybe they know they will eventually inherit from their parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

type into google "Housing for older people - Citizens Information Board" this document pretty much explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I know but in that case dont you give up the place you lived your entire life to live in a social housing scheme?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

type into google "Housing for older people - Citizens Information Board" this document pretty much explains it.

Have you visited some of these places and would you really like to spend your last years there?
    If the answer is yes well you are welcome to it. I prefer to have control of my own living situations.

I'm trying to buy now. Im early 30s so will have a mortgage paid off in early 60s. Some people say "you're mad..rentings the way to go...why do irish people always have to own property...etc etc.." I'm not doing this because im irish and property obsessed, im doing it for the simple practical reason that your income is slashed when you retire - idea being that you would typically own your house outright by then - and as such cannot afford exorbitant rents at that time of your life.

So for people who rent the penthouse for €1700/m their entire life, whats the plan? I'm genuinely curious as it doesnt make sense to me.

Cheers

An adavantage of owning your own property on retirement of course, and a one more Irish people are using, is that you can downsize and use the balance of the funds received to have a great retirement with the knowledge that you have a lump sum available for holidays, life's comforts etc. Why leave it for the kids to piss up against a wall

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Why leave it for the kids to piss up against a wall

When you can piss it up against the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Renting has never made sence to me personally either. I can understand it where flexibility is key, but long term it's a mystry to me. Even my folks, who had rented most their lives did so becuase my Father's job came with a very nice property in the centre of Oxford we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. When he moved jobs they purchased, albeit later in life and had the mortgae paid off intime for retirement.

Perhaps with long tern unfurnished rents, say like Germany, that are significantly cheaper than a mortgage, I could understand it - but Ireland with our crazy rents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Under a normal scenario, renting would be cheaper than mortgage payments plus the other costs in owning a home (along with inevitable costs associated with the inability to move around), allowing you to build up savings and other assets that will see you through retirement. Leaving you, theoretically, in the same position financially as having owned a home.

But with rents how they are, it is impossible to make savings sufficient to compensate for not having an unencumbered asset in 30 years time.

And there is no sign of things normalizing

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Not everyone can get a mortgage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Under a normal scenario, renting would be cheaper than mortgage payments plus the other costs in owning a home (along with inevitable costs associated with the inability to move around), allowing you to build up savings and other assets that will see you through retirement. Leaving you, theoretically, in the same position financially as having owned a home.

But with rents how they are, it is impossible to make savings sufficient to compensate for not having an unencumbered asset in 30 years time.

We also don't have a culture of long term leasing in this country. My estate agent raised her eyebrows when I asked for a two year lease, and she made a bit of a song and dance about asking the owner if it was ok. The cynical part of me suspects the agent was concerned she wouldn't get a bump in her commission next year. Maybe if longer leases were common we wouldn't have such extremes in rental prices.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

syklops wrote: »
    We also don't have a culture of long term leasing in this country.

Not really all that true. In the last thirty years, things have been up and down and all around the place. But long term leases were very common.

In some parts of the country, renting was incredibly cheap. In places there was just nominal rents to avoid houses becoming derelict.

My estate agent raised her eyebrows when I asked for a two year lease, and she made a bit of a song and dance about asking the owner if it was ok. The cynical part of me suspects the agent was concerned she wouldn't get a bump in her commission next year. Maybe if longer leases were common we wouldn't have such extremes in rental prices.

They "talked up" a bubble before; and here they go again; they're off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The bubble is well and truly being promoted, even govt wants to promote a bubble. Then facilitate building of well thought out housing builds where supply is required for demand and get credit to good builders. And make sure its owner occupiers first in queue

When you can piss it up against the wall.

Got it in one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know some people who plan to retire to other countries because of the cost of living is cheaper and the healthcare is better. Also Dublin and the bigger cities rent is climbing. But its cheaper outside of that. If you are retired you have cheaper transport options and not stuck for commuting etc. You also see people downsizing and relocating to cheaper places.

Its just at the moment renting especially in Dublin has got out of hand. The Govt are really doing nothing about it. They should put some controls in to kerb reckless lending then let it sort it self out. They should also get back into some form of social housing. At the moment they are messing around with rent controls and tax which is mickey mouse way of avoiding really doing something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Why would rents be cheaper than a mortgage in normal circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Cheers

My thoughts exactly.
    Wish I could just rent forever, but as we've seen the last few years, rents can go up big time in very short space of time.

Now to wait for the usual "In Germany .... " posts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I came across this by accident and was also interested in hearing replies. We are just three years away from retirement and the mortgage is already paid off. We still have to pay for maintenance etc. Renters can ask their landlord to pay for a broken window, or sagging gutters or a hole in the roof, but from what I have heard not all landlords take care of their properties. We are taking care of our property so we won't have huge bills in a few years time. Our kids are just working part time as that's all that they could get so if they aren't working when we retire at least they will have a roof over their heads too, they can't afford to have their own homes right now. My generation were brought up to believe that owning is better than renting and that renting is the same as flushing all that money down the toilet. You own nothing at the end of 20 or 30 years and leases are not always renewed. If someone can be assured these days of a steady job for the next 20-30 years then I would recommend getting a mortgage for a house, but who can guarantee that in the present economical climate?

When I think back to my grandmother at the beginning of the 20th century, who was left alone and took in laundry to keep herself and her children going and keep paying the rent on their tenement flat, I don't know how she did that when she got too old to work. The same question applies today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,445 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fkall wrote: »
    Why would rents be cheaper than a mortgage in normal circumstances?

I was thinking the same, rent pays mortgages so should always be higher.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I came across this by accident and was also interested in hearing replies. We are just three years away from retirement and the mortgage is already paid off. We still have to pay for maintenance etc. Renters can ask their landlord to pay for a broken window, or sagging gutters or a hole in the roof, but from what I have heard not all landlords take care of their properties. We are taking care of our property so we won't have huge bills in a few years time. Our kids are just working part time as that's all that they could get so if they aren't working when we retire at least they will have a roof over their heads too, they can't afford to have their own homes right now. My generation were brought up to believe that owning is better than renting and that renting is the same as flushing all that money down the toilet. You own nothing at the end of 20 or 30 years and leases are not always renewed. If someone can be assured these days of a steady job for the next 20-30 years then I would recommend getting a mortgage for a house, but who can guarantee that in the present economical climate?

When I think back to my grandmother at the beginning of the 20th century, who was left alone and took in laundry to keep herself and her children going and keep paying the rent on their tenement flat, I don't know how she did that when she got too old to work. The same question applies today.

I used to own a house here and own an apartment in the UK.
    I would say that averaged over 10 years of ownership on the house I spent about €1500 a year on maintenance, furniture etc. Some years spent virtually nothing. Other years a huge sum.

For the apartment in London the maintenance fees are every year, but on top of that I probably sink in about £1000 or slightly less per year into it averaged out.

People i know who have never owned a house all seem to think that they cost about €20000 per year to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes, if you take care of your property, it will take care of you. My daughter rented an apartment in London for a few years. The landlord could never be contacted, and getting anything done took months instead of days.

This reminds me of an elderly aunt forty years ago when I told her we were getting our own house she said 'that's great, you'll own your own hall door, and if you want to piddle in the corner of your living room, you can!!" eek.png Needless to say, we've never piddled in our living room, but its good to know we could, if we wanted to! biggrin.png

When we were getting married and applying for a mortgage in the 70's it was all terrifying for us but we persevered and even got through the recession in the 80's even though things got so bad we almost emigrated at one time, but we stayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

ted1 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, rent pays mortgages so should always be higher.

For a functioning BTL market to provide sufficient rental supply, the market rent need only cover the interest only mortgage payments, not capital and interest. BTL landlords borrow on an interest only basis. So in theory, a renter should be able to put aside the capital repayment component themselves in some kind of savings or investment.

Edit: plus expenses plus a yield, of course. But much less than capital and interest payments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Not everyone can get a mortgage

Why not?

nc19 wrote: »
    Why not?

Not being able to afford the repayments or the deposit required would be just a couple of reasons.

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Not being able to afford the repayments or the deposit required would be just a couple of reasons.

My sister, single, 30s, with app. 27k pa wage and no deposit got one for 195,000iirc with repayments of 550pm.

If you cant manage the above you shouldnt be trying for a mortgage so therefore not applicable to this discussion.

the op meant, afaics, that if you could afford a mortgage but choose to rent, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,445 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My sister, single, 30s, with app. 27k pa wage and no deposit got one for 195,000iirc with repayments of 550pm.

If you cant manage the above you shouldnt be trying for a mortgage so therefore not applicable to this discussion.

the op meant, afaics, that if you could afford a mortgage but choose to rent, why?
    A tracker? 550 for 195000 is very low

When was this? 100% Mortgages are gone and have been for several years. When I was 24 I was getting letters saying I was pre-approved for a 100% mortgage of up to 500K. "Nows the time to buy", etc etc. I resisted temptation and didn't apply. I am soooo glad I went with my gut.

If the example you have provided was your sister got a mortgage during the madness, then frankly I don't think your example is applicable to this discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Rent is the price I pay to maintain a certain quality of life.

When I rented I had less money but I lived in town and liked the house.

I dont see that ever happening again tbh.
    If it does, watch property prices go into the stratosphere.

Wasnt during the madness. About 2009 or 10 iirc

in terms of the terms, i dont know tbh

• Advertisement

Wasnt during the madness. About 2009 or 10 iirc

in terms of the terms, i dont know tbh

Thats the second time you have used the acronym iirc(if I remember correctly). Can we get your sister on here to confirm details?

Advertisement