Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd behaviour?

Options
2»

Comments

Agreed. Can be particularly difficult if there are a lot of unpaid management fees on the development as a whole or worse if your own landlord is in arrears with management fees.

As regards the rent if I was the landlord, and paying an agent to manage, I would be seriously questioning how they missed rent not being paid. This is pretty much the most important funtion of an agent and no matter what the op did, or did not do, the agent should have spotted the rent was not being paid and contacted the tenant much sooner.

I thought that myself. Missing one month's rent was bad but TWO months is a little bit crazy. I know (as I have been told a lot on this thread) that it was my responsibility to make sure the rent was paid, but questions should be asked of the letting agent too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they own the apartment themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I thought that myself. Missing one month's rent was bad but TWO months is a little bit crazy. I know (as I have been told a lot on this thread) that it was my responsibility to make sure the rent was paid, but questions should be asked of the letting agent too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they own the apartment themselves.

I agree you need to get your intercom sorted, but paying rent was a priority, but thats been mentioned, but while its possible they own it, maybe, what bearing would that have on matters?

It seems to me if this thread is an account of how things have gone between you and the agent, both sides have some fault, but Im leaning towards you more.
    You didnt pay rent, not 1 but 2 months, you should have checked, seperate accounts or not.
    Maybe thats why they came down very officially? seemingly harshly? and right or wrong maybe thats why they were in no hurry to fix problems either, possibly.
    If/when the rent is paid, ensure you get a receipt, and then put in writing about the intercom. Im guessing the distance between the front entrance isn't a short distance and even if it was I still wouldnt consider it tolerable myself to have a faulty access/intercom.

Its still a good idea to check everything works properly, or as much as possible.

cerastes wrote: »
    I agree you need to get your intercom sorted, but paying rent was a priority, but thats been mentioned, but while its possible they own it, maybe, what bearing would that have on matters?

It seems to me if this thread is an account of how things have gone between you and the agent, both sides have some fault, but Im leaning towards you more.
    You didnt pay rent, not 1 but 2 months, you should have checked, seperate accounts or not.
    Maybe thats why they came down very officially? seemingly harshly? and right or wrong maybe thats why they were in no hurry to fix problems either, possibly.
    If/when the rent is paid, ensure you get a receipt, and then put in writing about the intercom. Im guessing the distance between the front entrance isn't a short distance and even if it was I still wouldnt consider it tolerable myself to have a faulty access/intercom.

Its still a good idea to check everything works properly, or as much as possible.

The rent is fully paid and I have a receipt. That issue is put to bed now. I accept that I should have ensured it was paid, but I do question how it went unnoticed by the letting agent for such a time. But again, I accept responsibility and when I found out the situation, I remedied it as soon as I could.

The reason I bring up the fact that the letting agent may own the property, is because I was told that the landlord had told the letting agent that fixing the intercom was too expensive. With any other property I rented, I never had any issues with intercoms or ovens etc so I suppose I was a little naive in expecting that stuff would be in working order but I would have thought there would have been a slight onus on the letting agent to inform a prospective tenant of any faulty items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The rent is fully paid and I have a receipt. That issue is put to bed now. I accept that I should have ensured it was paid, but I do question how it went unnoticed by the letting agent for such a time. But again, I accept responsibility and when I found out the situation, I remedied it as soon as I could.

The reason I bring up the fact that the letting agent may own the property, is because I was told that the landlord had told the letting agent that fixing the intercom was too expensive. With any other property I rented, I never had any issues with intercoms or ovens etc so I suppose I was a little naive in expecting that stuff would be in working order but I would have thought there would have been a slight onus on the letting agent to inform a prospective tenant of any faulty items?

Thats the difficulty of dealing with a letting agent, its one further step where a message can get miscommunicated or lost. Maybe they just cant be bothered dealing with it and try fob people off and see if the problem enquiry goes away. I would say follow it up with them, keep records of your dealings regarding the rent issue, where you mentioned they said they'd set it up, a screenshot of an advert for the rental would be handy, but an intercom does seem to be an integral essential part of an apartment type accomodation, more so than say a doorbell in a house.
    The thing is, in some areas, there will be plenty of prospective tenants waiting to get a place and its possible going through stuff with a fine tooth comb can make the let-er think a tenant might be difficult, although its easy to just ask, does everything work, there are no part 4 protections prior to 6 months, so it might be worth holding out a while, make your requests by email/written and then after that time passes, give them an ultimatum to fix any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doom wrote: »
    Regardless of whether agency says it will not be repaired, its a building service and should be fully operational. Its a security issue therefore very important. ...

What is insecure about not having an intercom?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Ahh... really.... you want an answer to that question?. ..stop trolling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Would you spout the same nonsense if it was a single mother living in the apartment with her small child, I doubt it, you'd be above on your high horse preaching what a dangerous situation it is for mother and Child,your posts are both disingenuous and unhelpful

Trolling is right on the money, Mrs o, you have added nothing to this guys dilemma only accusation and finger pointing, he made a mistake and has done his best trying to rectify it, did you by any chance ever make a mistake in your life?

I lived in an inner city apps without one for a couple of years.

Any welcome visitors will have your mobile number. Rest are politicians and beggars, thanks but no thanks.

Really?

Really?

Yes, really.

It sounds like what you want is not only an intercom, but also a remote-access door release. Sometimes, but not always, these are integrated with the intercom system. Eg my apartment now has an intercom but no door release. So people can buzz me from the street, but I still have to walk down and let them in.

One of the issues with remote-door-releases is that they allow you (and any occupier) to give complex access to people without setting eyes on them, or checking that no one tailgates. In a big complex, locals get to know what apartment has a slightly deaf person it in, who is likely to buzz in anyone who rings because they cannot hear what the person is saying.

That's why I see them as insecure-but-convenient, rather than a security feature.

• Advertisement

Yes, really.
    So people can buzz me from the street, but I still have to walk down and let them .

So you leave your kids alone while you ramble down to open the door to let someone in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

whupdedo wrote: »
    So you leave your kids alone while you ramble down to open the door to let someone in ?
    Absolutely. Just give them some steak knives to play with and they'll be fine.

whupdedo wrote: »

That depends on the age of the kids! If they're old enough. yes. If not, take 'em with me.

And ramble? Nah, I have more respect for those visitors who I do let in. The ones I'd only ramble for get told to feck off over the intercom.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

You acted irresponsibly by:

1) Not checking your bank account the day after the first rent payment was due to go out.
    2) Not setting up the SO yourself (responsible people do not let someone else give instructions to their own bank!)
    3) Not using the telephone to get the bank details and making the payment by phone or internet banking the day that the problem was notified to you.
    4) Signing a document that you didn't get a copy of.
    5) Keeping a large quantity of cash in your house over the weekend.

He also didn't eat all his vegetables at dinner and left his homework until late on Sunday night...

People like you put me off using boards altogether.

That depends on the age of the kids! If they're old enough. yes. If not, take 'em with me.

And ramble? Nah, I have more respect for those visitors who I do let in. The ones I'd only ramble for get told to feck off over the intercom.

Something tells me you don't get many visitors

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

whupdedo less of the personalised posts please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

littlejp wrote: »
    He also didn't eat all his vegetables at dinner and left his homework until late on Sunday night...
    You mean things that only impact him himself? Why would anyone be interested? He had a RESPONSIBILITY to ensure payment. For all we know, the LL missed a mortgage payment as a consequence of his inaction ...or at best, lack of thoroughness.
    People like you put me off using boards altogether.
    Check her posts. Its one reason for me to stick around and read a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

You mean things that only impact him himself? Why would anyone be interested? He had a RESPONSIBILITY to ensure payment. For all we know, the LL missed a mortgage payment as a consequence of his inaction ...or at best, lack of thoroughness.
    That was more in reference to:
    "5) Keeping a large quantity of cash in your house over the weekend."

OP came on here looking for advice and admitted fault for the rent issues and gets a lecture in responsibility.

OP came on here looking for advice and admitted fault for the rent issues and gets a lecture in responsibility.
    Correction - as you are now presenting the facts out of context. OP came on here looking to resolve one issue whilst NOT having paid his rent. It has been (rightly) pointed out to him that the two issues are not exclusive - one likely to have an impact on the other.

Therefore, everything that has been suggested is valid and reasonable (even if you dislike it!).

Correction - as you are now presenting the facts out of context. OP came on here looking to resolve one issue whilst NOT having paid his rent. It has been (rightly) pointed out to him that the two issues are not exclusive - one likely to have an impact on the other.

Therefore, everything that has been suggested is valid and reasonable (even if you dislike it!).

Correction: I had admitted fault and had made it clear that I was not witholding rent, but rather, was not in a position to get it to the letting agent until Monday at the earliest but was going to ensure that I paid as soon as I could.

My issue is that the letting agent were refusing to address my concern about the intercom, even when they were unaware that my rent hadn't been paid.

• Advertisement

Correction: I had admitted fault and had made it clear that I was not witholding rent, but rather, was not in a position to get it to the letting agent until Monday at the earliest but was going to ensure that I paid as soon as I could.

My issue is that the letting agent were refusing to address my concern about the intercom, even when they were unaware that my rent hadn't been paid.
    I'm sorry but no. FACT: You were looking to get an issue resolved whilst rent had not been paid (why it had not been paid is immaterial - it's factually correct to say that it hadn't been paid at that point).

I'm sorry but no. FACT: You were looking to get an issue resolved whilst rent had not been paid (why it had not been paid is immaterial - it's factually correct to say that it hadn't been paid at that point).

FACT: The letting agent (along with me) was unaware that the rent hadn't been paid until the Thursday I was contacted. It only was noticed on the Thursday afternoon by their accounts dept and I rectified my mistake within 2 working days.

FACT: Despite the fact that I addressed the issue of the intercom when I moved in and was told it would be dealt with, to this date, it still hasn't been and have now been told that it will not be fixed at all. If the letting agent had been aware that the rent hadn't been paid or if I had threatened to hold payment until it was fixed, I would understand their reluctance to sort my issue. This was simply not the case

FACT: You hadn't paid the rent ...is it 2 or 3 months worth of rent. That was and is your responsibility - regardless of what way it played out.

The Intercom: It looks like from what you're saying, the intercom per se isn't broken. The ability to facilitate the door release automatically is....well, either it's broken OR it's intentionally deactivated. It seems that they don't agree with you on this one. By all means pursue it NOW (as it certainly made no sense to pursue it whilst 2 or 3 months overdue on rent!). If - ultimately - you are not happy, then take it to the PRTB if you believe you have a case OR leave when your lease is up - or whenever the opportunity arises.

/end_of.

The intercom is broken. You cannot ring up to it, you cannot open doors with it and you cant communicate via it.

i have given the letting agent two weeks to fix it before i open a prtb complaint. We will wait and see

Sure. Come back and let us know how it all pans out for you. :-)

Advertisement