Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day out in court

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

suave.4u wrote: »
    Can we just go and sit and watch proceedings? is there a time the proceedings start?
    Some background detail would be nice OP.
    Maybe I will go and see one day. get some different perspective on things..

Yep, in fact its a citizen's duty to observe our justice system. To see justice be done.

You can go and observe the majority of cases. Its a good idea to get in before the case starts or when there's a lull. Otherwise when you go in everyone looks at you - done that :( - if you didn't feel a twit before, you certainly do afterwards. There's usually an usher or messenger that will tell you when its OK to go in and where to sit ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

anncoates wrote: »
    People are mistaking what district courts are like. It's just a load of dreary stuff like drunk and disorderly, traffic offences, minor assaults , criminal damage etc.

I was up in district court once and it was boring and depressing.

I'll be called as a witness soon - hope it is boring and depressing as opposed to the fun and games I see outside the building sometimes. They really should just convert the car park into a giant boxing ring.

At transition year in school we were brought to the local courthouse to learn what goes on. It was an insurance case and we all thought yer man the plaintiff was a lyin' cheatin' no good scammer, and were bitterly disappointed that the solicitors didn't turn on him with Oscar-worthy speeches. Spencer Tracey fail. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Muise... wrote: »
    I'll be called as a witness soon - hope it is boring and depressing as opposed to the fun and games I see outside the building sometimes. They really should just convert the car park into a giant boxing ring.(

Boring and depressing doesn't exclude violent. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

One of the local scumbags was up in court a few months ago for fighting after a nighclub and a few other things. His case was called, solicitor stood up, gave his speil, judge asked was the man in court, solicitor said yes Judge, Judge asked for the man to stand up, no body stands up, que giggling from the mans buddies in the gallery, solicitor looks around searching frantically for yer man, no sign of him. "He was here 5 mins ago, Judge" says the solicitor. "Where is he now?" says the Judge. A voice for the gallery pipes up, "He's across the road in the pub havin a pint!" Judge sends a guard off across the road to bring him over. He comes over and nonchantly stands at the back of the court and leans against the wall.
    The court continues, your man case is put back til the end of the court. About half an hour later, the Judge stops in the middle of a case, looks down at your man and says "What are you doing now?" I turned around and see your man making a roll up cigarette! Judge flipps, tells the guard to bring the man up to where the guard was sitting so he can keep and eye on him.
    10 mins later, your mans phone starts ringing! Instead of turning it off, he goes to answer it! the guard snatches it off of his hand and turns it off. Judge goes nuclear at this stage, reads your man the riot act, said he was very close to getting a contempt of court charge added to the other charges he was facing.
    You couldnt make this sh!t up! If I wasnt there myself to see it all, I wouldnt have believed it. His case was put back to the next court day, as his solicitor was waiting for some reports or something. T'was some carry on in fairness....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Duchela - I'm just amazed by the "very close to having contempt added ...."

What has anyone got to do to actually get banged up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was stuck observing court cases for a day as part of work recently. It was the district court. I can honestly say it was one of the most boring days of my life. It seemed to be mainly people who had been brought to court over non payment of fines. There were a view small claims as well but it was a very long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Went to the court in Dun Laoghaire twice when in college about 15 years ago. Two of the funniest mornings of my life.

As it's a minor court in a reasonably middle class area the calibre of criminal is ridiculously low so some of the excuses literally had people doubled over laughing.

I'd heartily recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I was in there once for a day, wasn't just a spectator unfortunately. Pretty much 90% of the cases were to do with drink driving or no tax/insurance and the excuses were always hilarious.

Surprising mix of people too, a few elderly farmers who'd been coached by their solicitors to say they'd a drink problem. One had pissed through the letterbox thingy out of his police cell. Also a good few lads in handcuffs there for minor assaults.

The judge was having a great time, lapping up his authority and constantly making jokes.

It's definitely worth going to have a look, very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

Maphisto wrote: »

Not having a TV licence is considered a serious grave offence. You will do some hard time for that bad boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

anncoates wrote: »
    Boring and depressing doesn't exclude violent. :pac:

Oh noes! If I sing like a canary I'll be bludgeoned with navel-gazing singer-songwriters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd love to sit in on the Banking Inquiry and have an AK47 with me...
    But sure we'll leave that that to another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Maphisto wrote: »

Exactly. Wouldn't leaving the courtroom and having a pint across the road be in contempt? Judges need to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I think watching Judge Judy would suffice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Saw a great case once where some scummer robber a Garda's hat and his friend slapped some curry chips on the Gardas head. Half the room was holding in the laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

The one and only time (hopefully ever) in a court room and brush with law was after a college night out aged 18. I foolishly ended up in chancery st district courts with a mate after getting arrested for drunken antics. We were given the probation act and a deserved slap in wrist. The smell, the characters and atmosphere was awful - the dregs of society up in court (one dude still in blood splattered shirt) scared the life out of us. Not my proudest moment and I for one have seen how another side exist and never ever want to go back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Bobjupiter

Warper wrote: »
    I was joking FFS, this is AH

Stick to murder jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

As a man said to me once regarding the court proceedings. "Twas like Puck Fair in Killorglin with Duffys Circus thrown in for good measure."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Bobjupiter

andy1981 wrote: »
    I did Jury duty once. It was very boring. The case was a joke. The scumbag junkie was a dead cert to be guilty, we all prejudged her. After looking more closly at vidoe evidence she had clearly done the opposite of what she was in for. When the verdict came back she looked shocked, her barrister looked shocked (couldnt believe she won her case), the prosecution was visible shaken... The judge who slept for most of the trial gave us the jury filthy looks!!!
    would try my best to get out of jury duty again, waste of time money etc...

What is the opposite of a crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Bobjupiter wrote: »
    What is the opposite of a crime?

Depends on what she was accused of doing.

For example, the video might have shown her repairing and exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Spent the morning there courtsey of the tv license man. Funny people with even funnier explanations as to why after getting a summons they still haven't got or made an effort to get a license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Warper wrote: »
    No but ya i say it would be interesting especially if it was a rape case

"Joke" aside (worth noting warper did say 'interesting', not 'fun') I have to agree. I think a rape case would be fascinating to watch, and it has nothing to do with a popcorn factor or anything crude like that. Unfortunately it's a part of our society and I'd be interested to see how the justice system handles it first hand.

Courts can be boring compared to what we see on the TV or cinema screen but if you have any interest in the justice system and how it actually works in real life I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I was told that no matter what the case, it is nearly always extremely boring. Maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Depends on what day you go. Some days are for charge sheets (ie: someone is charged after being caught in the act), some for summons (ie: after a file has been completed and directions received to prosecute, summons issued), then you have days for Family Court and Childrens Court, both of which are private and only those involved will be in front of the Judge. Then there's the Civil days, for all non-criminal related matters such as TV Licence evaders, cases against Councils or Councils against businesses, etc.

Ring your local court house and ask when the days for Charges or Summons are on. They're the most entertaining usually (civil cases have some amount of legal jargon, it can be hard to follow). And then it all depends on the Judge. Some Judges are soft, like the one above where he nearly put someone in contempt. Others are hard and give stupid sentences which, imo, is a set up to make an appeal so that his Judge friend in the Circuit Court gets another pay day.

I was witness one day to a Judge who was looking for the accused (was a quick civil case on a criminal day). The accused was not there, as apparently he wasn't needed to be in this particular case. The solicitor stated that he was told the accused wasn't needed and was currently up in Donegal on a contract (court was in Co. Tipperary). The Judge lost the rag and demanded that the accused be there after recess (this was 10.30am, he wanted yer man down by 14.00). He then proceeded with the criminal cases and went pure soft on everyone after that!

That's the problem with the courts, there's no definite line the Judges can follow, it's up to them to decide what happens, and this can vary wildly from case to case. Another example would be a well versed scummer up on a public order charge, gets the probation act while the court waits for "probation reports". Next up is a genuinely nice lad who was arrested for the same offence, no previous. The Judge gives him a €500 fine! Seems the nicer you are, the more you get stung.

So remember folks, if you're ever in trouble and end up in court, claim a bad upbringing, abuse at home as a child, preferably a drink or drug problem which you're "genuinely working on" and a promise to never do it again, you'll probably get off lighter. Showing remorse isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I was told that no matter what the case, it is nearly always extremely boring. Maybe I'm wrong

It depends on your outlook. I find it interesting but can be harrowing. Unlike TV or film the people are real and for whatever reason they're in court it is having an effect on their lives. I would recommend people go and decide for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The district courts are an interesting, sad and comical place

you do see and hear some mad ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Interestingly enough I sent most of yesterday in Longford circuit court, I was with a friend :-), It was quite intresting sitting listning to the defence & prosecution given the evidence and there spin on what happened,I found the judge quite fair and hard,with six cases before him four went to prison for minimum sentence of four years with one getting ten,another two lads got twelve months curfew of between 8 in the evening till 9 in the morning in which the judge said should be checked often by the Garda .

He also stated in one case that he was only the enforcer of the law of the land and it's up to the goverment to implement the proper sentencing structure.

realies wrote: »
    with six cases before him four went to prison for minimum sentence of four years with one getting ten

Damn TV license evaders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Damn TV license evaders!

?

realies wrote: »
    ?

I was being sarcastic. Last year 411 people were sent to prison for not paying their TV license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I went to see Bertie at the Mahon tribunal and saw the ex-county manager dude another time.

It was interesting cause Bertie lost his man of the people malarky.
    He rattled though a ream of transactions and bank accounts so fast the judges etc could barely follow him and he did it without any notes.
    Then he gave one of the lawyers this filty evil look when he questioned bertie over something.

Very worth seeing IMO.

Advertisement