Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Who Don't Watch Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Candie wrote: »
    I like a good movie, it's a great way to unwind. I know a few people who don't watch them though, and they seem normal enough (superficially at least).

What I don't understand is an adult who's never read a book. Far more of them exist than the non-movie-watchers.

There was even some poster on here who had never read a book in his life, never intended to, didn't see the value of it at all, but intended to study English Literature in college.

Now that's really puzzling stuff.

I guess the main difference really is that reading a book does require some effort. You need to hold the book (!), flip the pages, move your eyes, digest what you read.

I used to read a lot but gave up on books a few years back. I find whenever I read now i just end up falling asleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

fussyonion wrote: »
    Nope. Nor The Terminator, Robocop.
    From this list, I've seen two: Wizard of Oz and Up.

http://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/top-50-films-to-see-before-you-die

I've only watched 8 on that list. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

He's a sound enough fella at the same time, so maybe he's right and I'm wrong. Do you know anyone doesn't like films? Are they. . .normal enough?

Never knew anyone who has never seen a movie. Strange.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I guess the main difference really is that reading a book does require some effort. You need to hold the book (!), flip the pages, move your eyes, digest what you read.

I used to read a lot but gave up on books a few years back. I find whenever I read now i just end up falling asleep :(

Books do need a teeny bit more effort. Most people go through cycles of reading I think, I can read about four books a week and then go for months with no motivation to read at all.

Can you imagine deciding to go for an English degree when you have no interest in reading though! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Apex Predator

Books are like the internet except it's made out of paper!

Museums are like Google image search except you have to walk around a big building to get the results!

• Advertisement

Just curiosity by the way, as I find it incredibly odd!

Why?

It's just one cultural form.

I've quite extensive musical tastes and am - pretentious tenets aside - well read but films don't move me the dame way.

Master of the Universe

anncoates wrote: »

I thought I have fairly normal film viewing habits and have seen 28. You guys are just weird :D
    Books do need a teeny bit more effort. Most people go through cycles of reading I think, I can read about four books a week and then go for months with no motivation to read at all.

Can you imagine deciding to go for an English degree when you have no interest in reading though! :confused:

Yeah I used to read a couple of books on the week on the train. I think I just stare at a computer screen for too long in work and my eyes aren't up to the challenge of reading books on top of that.

That's bizarre about the English degree, the guy had to be having you on! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd report him to the guards, there has to be some law against this

Something is not right in the world, when Lucifer himself has become all law abiding and a goody two shoes.

I've seen 32 of them.

Many of them multiple times.......

Oh i've wasted my life.. ;)

Master of the Universe

Why?

It's just one cultural form.

I've quite extensive musical tastes and am - pretentious tenets aside - well read but films don't move me the dame way.

I would have thought someone interested in culture would try to digest a wide variety though? That's what I have a hard time understanding.

There are so many wonderful books, songs out in the world, I agree. But there are also thousands of great films. And what is a film, really? It amalgamates storytelling, picture and sound. Two of those things you already enjoy in music and reading - so why not combine them? :)

• Advertisement

I'

No, you haven't. :)

I've seen 32 of them.

Many of them multiple times.......

I've seen 28 - the least cerebral 28 too. :)

I would have thought someone interested in culture would try to digest a wide variety though? That's what I have a hard time understanding.

There are so many wonderful books, songs out in the world, I agree. But there are also thousands of great films. And what is a film, really? It amalgamates storytelling, picture and sound. Two of those things you already enjoy in music and reading - so why not combine them? :)

Fair enough but somebody with wide cultural interests wouldn't be the sort to arbitrarily exclude for no reason. Its just a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've seen 28 - the least cerebral 28 too. :)

I've seen 10 of that list, bought One flew over the cuckoo's nest on DVD last year and still haven't watched it!
    Expect to see Mrs Brown's Boys movie on that list after next week :P

On the plus side though, I have made a reasonable dent in one of the similar 100 books to read before you die lists! Think it was Time magazine or something that published it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Never suggest Freddy Got Fingered as a movie to watch if sitting in for yet another evening of mind-numbing mediocrity with the other half. It's deeply offensive and not that funny.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've seen 10 of that list, bought One flew over the cuckoo's nest on DVD last year and still haven't watched it!

Watch it! It was way better than I expected it to be.

I thought it was another over-hyped job (thought Apocalypse Now was way over-rated), but it lived up to the reviews. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never suggest Freddy Got Fingered as a movie to watch if sitting in for yet another evening of mind-numbing mediocrity with the other half. It's deeply offensive and not that funny.

Never seen it, I hear it's terrible.

dee_mc wrote: »

That's possibly my all time favourite movie!

Cuckoo's nest that is.. Not the other thing! ;)

Never seen it, I hear it's terrible.

It's bad alright, but it's no American Pie 9.

• Advertisement

That's possibly my all time favourite movie!

Cuckoo's nest that is.. Not the other thing! ;)

Read it; never watched it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

So long as they don't pretend to be watching the film, then whip out their phone and go on Facebook. Then go for a piss. Then ask me if I want crisps. Then sit back down and ask me what's happened, and who's that guy.

FCUK OFF AND DIE!!
    Worse yet when people actually do this in the cinema. :mad::mad::mad:

The movie is pretty faithful to the book, as these things go.

The book's even better than the film.

/cliche

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd find it odd if someone actively went out of their way to not watch a film, its such a fantastic form of enterainment. I couldn't imagine going through life never seeing a film, or only a handful of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Something is not right in the world, when Lucifer himself has become all law abiding and a goody two shoes.

Watching movies is a sin, that's why I endorse it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm one of them. I'd say the last 5 years I've averaged about 2 or 3 a year. Just can't get into it. Listen to music a lot, but also go through phases where I can't listen to music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

He tripped over a grouse.

A Famous one. ;)

If you insist then. But just a small one and a pint of Stout as a chaser. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    If you insist then. But just a small one and a pint of Stout as a chaser. Good luck!

Never mind that auld tack, tell the barman to bring out the bottle of stuff his mother has hidden in the kitchen behind the jars of pickled eggs in the end press.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

fussyonion wrote: »
    Nope. Nor The Terminator, Robocop.
    From this list, I've seen two: Wizard of Oz and Up.

http://www.film4.com/special-features/top-lists/top-50-films-to-see-before-you-die

I've seen 43. Beats all scores previously mentioned. What do I win?

One's I've not seen are:
    Pink Flamingos
    Aguire
    Cabaret
    Princess Mononoke
    This Sporting Life
    Fanny and Alexander
    Touch of Evil

Though most of those 7 are on the list to watch.

I would find it odd somebody who didn't watch movies (or read, or listen to music if it comes to it). Each to their own I guess, but I couldn't see myself being friends with somebody like that, as I'm not sure how much we'd have in common. I don't just mean when it comes to talking about movies, but even the odd movie reference that gets thrown around would probably just go over their head.

Advertisement