Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of sellers gone off Adverts/Donedeal ?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone found that there is an awful lack of ads lately on Adverts and Donedeal, specifically for items worth under €100 or so ?
    I was searching for a few things that I'd searched before but was surprised how poor the selection was compared to times gone by.

I dont think higher ticket items like cars have suffered a migration of sellers but for smaller ticket used items I'm seeing a lot less sellers out there than there used to be.

Where have people migrated to, Gumtree or some other site ?
    Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Yeah, I was looking at phones and there were very few where there's normally be quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,901 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iv gone back to eBay myself. I loved adverts when it launched first but now it's unbearable and then they have the nerve to charge me for selling my items on a rubbish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've found of the two of them Donedeal seems to be of hit the hardest. Also their new app isn't the best, and it doesn't remember previous searches you did so you have to type the whole thing out everytime.
    I think Adverts app works quite well but also feel sellers have left them.

What's the story with Facebook groups for buying/selling, how do you find them, are they location based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Yeah just type in your area + buy and sell etc and a few should come up. They seem really popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Facebook selling groups are good as there's no charge for selling and uploading your ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Adverts is a brutal site to be fair, the only incentive to using it was that it was free.

Yeah just type in your area + buy and sell etc and a few should come up. They seem really popular.

Yeah I tried that for my area (Finglas) and there's nothing there. Tried searching Dublin too and the one group that is there appears to be abandoned
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin-Buying-and-Selling/192677337420569

Regardless I don't think Facebook groups allow you to search for a specific item ? Selling through Facebook might be free but buying through it sounds like searching for a needle in a haystack tbh, especially if there are hundreds of Facebook groups fragmented throughout the country.

A national website like Adverts, Donedeal, Gumtree seems a much better proposition, especially for items that can be posted easily by An Post or dropped off to Parcel Motel. It's just a pity a lot of sellers seem to have evaporated from the national sites, it makes the market a lot more fragmented IMO and harder to find what you want at a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I've used adverts a bit. It's fairly frustrating but amount of people who place offers then back out. It wrecks the sale, as people aren't sure if the item is gone or not. Recently I bought something and the seller told me he underestimated the cost of postage and would have to charge an extra €2. No point leaving negative feedback as it would be reciprocated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Whats the point, I am hearing of ads for other free sites on teh radio all the time now and you can use facebook groups which are utilized way more in other countries.

Whats the point, I am hearing of ads for other free sites on teh radio all the time now and you can use facebook groups which are utilized way more in other countries.

I suppose the point is since Donedeal and Adverts brought in their new pricing structures the marketplace has become a lot more empty. For example I collect niche products like model airplanes, in order to find these and trade them I need a national market as it's unlikely that there are going to be sellers in my area. At least before with Adverts/Donedeal I could find those sellers but now they've likely migrated to Facebook or other sites so now to find what I want is like searching for a needle in a haystack as the sellers are spread out and fragmented.
    Not much I can do about it but it's still a pain in the ass and I suspect it's the same for others like me who are after niche/speciality products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 fredgillis

Donedeal is pure rubbish and the feckers have got so greedy for money, wouldnt mind if responses were good and it actually worked but you could sell nothing on it unless you were giving it away

use to pay 10 euro for adverts, yes i was a eejit back then and then they increased the price for an even worse service and it was a poor response.Terrible

thing is i put on on facebook and was bombarded with people and sold all for free and very easy too and cost me nothing, even gumtree is good and its free

i would not pay Donedeal a penny now as a bunch of greedy money grabbing robbers in my book

AMEN

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod: Why are you reopening a 9 year old zombie thread? Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement