Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 points on provisional licence: am I to be disqualified?

Options
  • 22-06-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

A friend just told me about new legislation due to come into effect in August and I find it hard to believe so want to verify it. Though it is probably the case.

She said that if you have 6 penalty points or more on your provisional licence you will be disqualified for 6 months.

Find this shocking to be honest. I got two notices for going over the speed limit- both were on the same day and it only happened because I had to get back home as I was a part-time carer then, the other time was a one-off where I was going at 67km in a 60km zone.

Can't believe I am going to be disqualified for 6 points??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

2points is understandable IMO -even 4 perhaps
    But 6?
    Tells me you haven't your lesson
    And as a provisional driver you should be squeaky clean
    I hope a provisional/learner driver on 6points would certainly be disqualified

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Seems reasonable to me to have reduced thresholds for those on learner permits due to inexperience. It's one thing to build up 6 points within a 3 year period as an experienced driver (which is still not good practice) but on a permit you would have built this up in either weeks or months and should have no complaints if you are banned. You have not passed a test and therefore do not have the same rights as qualified drivers.

Most should be lucky they don't get caught for driving unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

But 6?

Whatever you think yourself there Tonto.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Did you have a licenced driver with you on these occasions ?. You do know you should not be driving without one on provisional licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

But 6?

You username is not very accurate ?

Talk to Jim

• Advertisement

You username is not very accurate ?

Talk to Jim

I'm perfectly happy thank you very much when I know imbeciles who put my family in danger with their repeated reckless driving are put off the road

If your username is anything to go by .....less said the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Listen, cut the BS. I'm looking for facts as regards when the new legislation is coming in.

And I am not an inexperienced driver. When I went over the limit it was still done in a safe manner.

Trust me if the critics here drove as well as I did we wouldn't have this bs legislation.

Better education might serve to illuminate some pretty dim minds, that's pretty much all the rage from my experience.

I'm perfectly happy thank you very much when I know imbeciles who put my family in danger with their repeated reckless driving are put off the road

If your username is anything to go by .....less said the better

Would love it if reckless dumb ass brains did more to make something of this country. I'm not a danger to others when I'm on the road, you just sound dim or depressed making such presumptions, 'happywithlife' mar dhea.

pog it wrote: »
    Listen, cut the BS. I'm looking for facts as regards when the new legislation is coming in.

Maybe try the legal affairs board so instead of motors?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

And I am not an inexperienced driver.

Despite what you think - the lack of a pink license says otherwise.

• Advertisement

Would love it if reckless dumb ass brains did more to make something of this country. I'm not a danger to others when I'm on the road, you just sound dim or depressed making such presumptions, 'happywithlife' mar dhea.

It wasn't directed at you specifically op rather a general observation to the quoted poster

Despite what you think - the lack of a pink license says otherwise.

A pink license with the current driving test as it is actually is useless and with the new test coming in, I would love to see every body who drives have to go through this new test.

If I am disqualified over this it is an absolute joke. Country is completely gone to the dogs. Why would anyone bright or ambitious stay? Family, friends, inertia. That must be it.

Anyway yeah I'll make a call to them.

Mods, wrap this thread up, the usual losers posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Would help to read the actual act, before acting like a drama queen?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/act/pub/0003/sec0008.html#sec8
    [(c) in section 3, by substituting for subsection (1) the following:

“(1) Where penalty points are endorsed on the entry of a person and, in consequence, the total number of penalty points standing so endorsed—

(a) equals or exceeds 12, or

(b) in the case of a person who at the time such points are endorsed is a learner driver or a novice driver, equals or exceeds 7,

the person shall stand disqualified for a period of 6 months beginning on the appropriate date for holding a licence and a licence held by him or her at the beginning of the period shall stand suspended accordingly.”,

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

A pink license with the current driving test as it is actually is useless and with the new test coming in, I would love to see every body who drives have to go through this new test.

If I am disqualified over this it is an absolute joke. Country is completely gone to the dogs. Why would anyone bright or ambitious stay? Family, friends, inertia. That must be it.

Anyway yeah I'll make a call to them.

Yeah the country is gone to the dogs. We may as well lock the gate cause you're being victimised for breaking speed limits when there are murderers on the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How you could even justify speeding on a provisional licence i dont understand.

No matter what you're in a hurry home to do, speed limits are just that - a limit.
    If you gave 6 points on a provisional licence and face disqualification, then so be it.
    Suck it up and learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You sound like a lovely person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ahh boards.

OP makes thread to ask question.
    Gets torn to shreds for being a reckless speeding hooligan and told ofcourse you should be off the road.
    Actual legislation gets linked.
    HHB shuffles away looking for it's next victim.

IT COULD BE YOU !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If I am disqualified over this it is an absolute joke. Country is completely gone to the dogs. Why would anyone bright or ambitious stay?.

Try bringing your attitude to motoring to the roads of Australia or the US and see how long you stay behind the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The Road Traffic Act 2014 (Sect 8) introduced the regulation that Learner Permits will be disqualified if they exceed 6 penalty points i.e. get 7 or more and you're gone.
    The commencement order SI 14/2014 sets the date for this regulation to take effect on 1st August 2014. The order has already been signed by the Minister so there's little doubt it is happening.

OP if you keep your nose clean and don't collect any more points then you won't be disqualified under the new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

To answer the OP's question it's once you get over 6 point's you will be off the road....
    and that also goes for anyone who's passed their test and has the new N plates...
    [2014.]
    Road Traffic Act
    S.8
    is a learner driver or a novice driver, equals or exceeds 7,
    specifying that the person will be disqualified under section 3 for
    holding a licence for a period of 6 months beginning on the
    appropriate date and directing him or her to submit the licence held
    by him or her to the licensing authority not later than 14 days from
    that date.”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You've lucked out, the next time you'll be on the pushbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

westdub wrote: »
    To answer the OP's question it's once you get over 6 point's you will be off the road....
    and that also goes for anyone who's passed their test and has the new N plates...

This also comes into effect on the 1st August

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/si/0147.html
    The day fixed as the day on which sections 3 to 5 , 7 and 8 of the Road Traffic Act 2014 (No. 3 of 2014) come into operation is 1 August 2014.

Interesting question though is can this law be applied retroactively? That is, say if 1 have 8 points (I don't), from say 2013, do I get banned on the 1st of August, or does it only apply to points picked up after the 1st of August?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Good lad, scurry on now. Now too quickly though, those points stick around for 3 years after all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

In fairness tho people are always gonna react like that to someone on a provisional with six points, who claims to be experienced yet not have a full licence, calls anyone with a negative opinion losers, and declares that none of them would pass the test anyway. (Recent fail i imagine)

Edit: just had a quick look at post historyand it seems OP did have a test a few weeks back...guess it didnt go so well....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And I am not an inexperienced driver. When I went over the limit it was still done in a safe manner.

Trust me if the critics here drove as well as I did we wouldn't have this bs legislation.

Better education might serve to illuminate some pretty dim minds, that's pretty much all the rage from my experience.

You're not even a qualified driver!

I've been driving for over ten years, and not had even one penalty point let alone six!

I'm fairly sure that legislation is now in place, so you may well be facing a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Mycroft H wrote: »
    You've lucked out, the next time you'll be on the pushbike.

There is talk of giving fines to cyclists who break the rules too.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Good lad, scurry on now. Now too quickly though, those points stick around for 3 years after all :pac:

If you're put off the road the clock stops on the points.! Say you get two points and the next day you're put off the road for 2 years, the points will stay for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

In this case he would only be banned for six months. Cant imagine the insurance renewal tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i know two people who racked up 4 points in one day at he same speed trap : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stheno wrote: »
    You're not even a qualified driver!

I've been driving for over ten years, and not had even one penalty point let alone six!

I'm fairly sure that legislation is now in place, so you may well be facing a ban

The regulation won't take effect until 1st Aug, and since the OP has 6 points he won't be banned so long as he doesn't get any more points. Three "one off" speeding offences is not a good start though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement