Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tablet???

Options
  • 19-06-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, my dd wants a tablet from her Communion money (she's 8.5). She likes watching Minecraft on youtube, Moshi Monsters, things like that.
    We looked at the Nabi but I'm thinking we might let her get a proper tablet as she's getting older and may get more use from it. Maybe a Samsung Galaxy 7" or something? She doesn't want to pay too much but I'm keen for it to be good quality.
    I'm not very techno minded and dh is worse. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Obviously I'll want to keep an eye on safety. We have one laptop here, we all have to take our turn on it!
    Thanks so much for any advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

crustybla wrote: »
    Hi guys, my dd wants a tablet from her Communion money (she's 8.5). She likes watching Minecraft on youtube, Moshi Monsters, things like that.
    We looked at the Nabi but I'm thinking we might let her get a proper tablet as she's getting older and may get more use from it. Maybe a Samsung Galaxy 7" or something? She doesn't want to pay too much but I'm keen for it to be good quality.
    I'm not very techno minded and dh is worse. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Obviously I'll want to keep an eye on safety. We have one laptop here, we all have to take our turn on it!
    Thanks so much for any advice!!
    I couldnt recommend the nexus 7 highly enough.there is a 2013 version and a 2012 version.considering your daughter is 8.5 i dont think she would notice any difference.the 2012 version is available at a knockdown price in argos atm,theres a thread here somewhere about it.also what might interest you about the nexus 7 is that you can set up 2 different user accounts on it with you and your daughter having your own passwords for each account
    Excellent tablet all round.

I.m not sure how i link to the thread but just type in brand new nexus 7 2012 model into the searchbar and you will find it.its in bargain alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

As above if its in the price range get the Nexus 7 heres the link, its a great tablet and will be perfect for her needs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057233355

Just to throw a spanner in the works Tesco are selling off refurbed HUDL`s , these are not as good as the Nexus but they are a good tablet nonetheless and i wouldnt overlook it if the nexus doesnt fir the budget

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057233444

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Oh and factor in a case, amazon do them quite cheap

Another vote for the Nexus 7. It is incredible and very very durable!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Guys thank you sooo much for your replies!!! I went on the Argos site and reserved one. I like the idea that she has her password to her own account too. She'll be thrilled. Hopefully I'll be able to set it up properly. I'll have fun trying!
    Really appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

Guys thank you sooo much for your replies!!! I went on the Argos site and reserved one. I like the idea that she has her password to her own account too. She'll be thrilled. Hopefully I'll be able to set it up properly. I'll have fun trying!
    Really appreciate the help.

Its really easy to set up,but if you have any problems just let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Another vote for the Nexus 7. It is incredible and very very durable!

Yes, very good tablet and, as you say, durable......

but one niggle I have not been able to solve, Nexus 7 [2013 KitKat],

the screen sometimes becomes incredibly insensitive to touch, and needs re-boot to solve......

I haven't been able to solve this, sometimes happens after longish periods not being used, but can't say exactly.

Other than that, go for it, its brilliant and beautiful.

Perhaps someone will have an answer about the touch sensitivity issue, I hope so anyway...win/win :)

Thanks again guys. I'd have been lost without ye!

Job done, she's delighted. Loads of free apps keeping her busy. Of course, I've been stealing it all day! Got the cover for it for a tenner too. Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Job done, she's delighted. Loads of free apps keeping her busy. Of course, I've been stealing it all day! Got the cover for it for a tenner too. Cheers!!

Thinking of buying one, does it come with kitkat installed?

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Thinking of buying one, does it come with kitkat installed?

the 2013 version will, but the 2012 is at the moment waiting on the otg update afaik

edit , the 2013 wont actually have it installed, but there will be an update for you to install it

Just out of curiosity, what is kitkat?

Just out of curiosity, what is kitkat?

Its the latest android operating system

Thanks Droidman! One final question. Does it come with its own internet security of should I download my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

Thanks for the info. Need to get one for my nephew

You can reserve it on the Argos website PartnerSeeds. That way you're sure to get it. The cover/stand is normally 20 but you get it for 10 when you buy the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PartnerSeeds

Thanks!

Thanks Droidman! One final question. Does it come with its own internet security of should I download my own?

You dont need internet security on android.some sales people in shops will try sell it to you, but really you dont need it.

Brilliant! Thanks for all your help Droidman!!

Ok, so over the weekend the tablet stopped working. Arg#s agreed that it was faulty (typical) and issued me with a replacement. My question, as a complete novice, is regarding my bank card details. I used it to purchase an app for my daughter and I'm worried now as the store have the tablet I used for this. Should I cancel my card or do I need to do anything else/
    Thanks a mill and sorry if it's a stupid question!

• Advertisement

Anyone? :-)

Ok, so over the weekend the tablet stopped working. Arg#s agreed that it was faulty (typical) and issued me with a replacement. My question, as a complete novice, is regarding my bank card details. I used it to purchase an app for my daughter and I'm worried now as the store have the tablet I used for this. Should I cancel my card or do I need to do anything else/
    Thanks a mill and sorry if it's a stupid question!

Did you use Google wallet to make the purchase of the app?

Droidman, you'll think I'm a complete idiot but I haven't a clue! I put in my details and card details when it asked to make the purchase and it stored it for further use. Is that it?

Droidman, you'll think I'm a complete idiot but I haven't a clue! I put in my details and card details when it asked to make the purchase and it stored it for further use. Is that it?

You should be OK,I wouldn't worry about changing your number. Just on a side note,when you are on the play store,go into settings,and set it that you need a password every time you make a purchase of an app or game,that way you will also be able to control what your daughter or anyone else buys from the play store.

And BTW,of course I don't think you are an idiot,we are all here to help each other.

Droidman you legend, thanks so much for all your help (and for not making me feel foolish!).;-)

Droidman you legend, thanks so much for all your help (and for not making me feel foolish!).;-)

Believe me,there are tons of guys on here that know a lot more than me, so any more questions or queries...fire away.

Advertisement