Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip replacement waiting times

Options
  • 19-06-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭

A relative of mine may need a hip replacement but doesn't think their health insurance will cover them (only has 3 full years cover).
    Does anyone know/have experience of what the current waiting times are for a hip replacement in the public health system?
    Is it done based on priority/age/first come first served basis?
    If he doesn't get it done within 12 months of being referred to a public consultant, can he get it done privately and the state will pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

josip wrote: »
    A relative of mine may need a hip replacement but doesn't think their health insurance will cover them (only has 3 full years cover).
    Does anyone know/have experience of what the current waiting times are for a hip replacement in the public health system?
    If hedoesn't get it done within 12 months of being referred to a public consultant, can he get it done privately and the state will pay?

Public > 1 Year
    Private 1-2 weeks
    If you go private, you pay private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

josip wrote: »
    If hedoesn't get it done within 12 months of being referred to a public consultant, can he get it done privately and the state will pay?

Perfect world, not going to happen though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Digging up this old thread to ask :- how much does the private hip replacement cost and what procedures should be followed to pursue this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Digging up this old thread to ask :- how much does the private hip replacement cost and what procedures should be followed to pursue this?

It depends on where you're getting it done and the degree you're covered by health insurance.

Some HI covers you for a percentage of costs at specified hospitals where it's done privately but hospitals outside of that will mean no coverage.

The hospital you go to will be determined by the surgeon you're seen by.

Just to add, that's just based on the experience of my Da. Not entirely sure that all of the above is set in stone.

Thanks Alf,

my Dad does not have health insurance and the public waiting list is 2 years,
    so I have no option but to pay all myself. Where do I start?

M
    It depends on where you're getting it done and the degree you're covered by health insurance.

Some HI covers you for a percentage of costs at specified hospitals where it's done privately but hospitals outside of that will mean no coverage.

The hospital you go to will be determined by the surgeon you're seen by.

Just to add, that's just based on the experience of my Da. Not entirely sure that all of the above is set in stone.

• Advertisement

Go to GP to get a referral is starting point.

I don't know exactly but I think it cist my Da in the region of 12k cos his insurance didn't provide cover for the private hospital he went to.

€12 k ? did you look at having the operation done abroad, eg NHS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

€12 k ? did you look at having the operation done abroad, eg NHS?

No. Purely because he wanted to get it done asap on account of recurring painful issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

It will depend on the private hospital, some of them will have a set fee between €9000 and €12000, others it might creep up towards €15000 depending on length of stay/tests carried out etc

What part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement

Cashel, Co Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Cashel, Co Tipp

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I had my hip replaced late last year in the Whitfield in Waterford.
    I was covered by private health insurance so went to the GP who sent me for X-Rays.
    Then I got referred to Consultant (Mr. Sullivan)
    Had an appointment within two weeks for surgery, had the operation and a weeks stay in hospital.
    Been back for follow up x-rays and all is good.

I paid for consultations, GP and X-Rays, health Insurance covered the operation and hospital stay (the stay was the largest portion of the bill).
    Altogether it cost about €7,000, but not having pain and being able to walk/sleep is worth it!

Advertisement