Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Vix images and keeping settings (Apollo 3 to Apollo8)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

No such thing as a stupid question - we are all learning here. OK - from other thread I see you are using the SKY channel line-up, rather than trying to integrate Saorview, so the Autobouquet E2 is probably better all right. I've a motor also, but where I will be using the Quad Plus is in the living room as a replacement for Freesat from a fixed dish and a separate Saorview tuner so I need a seamless user experience for SWMBO !

As regards the refresh rate, well 50Hz is the European standard for TV, so if that's your main source of viewing I'd leave it at that. If you watch NBC NTSC feeds on 15W (or 12.5W - can't recall), they are at 60Hz (30ish fps), then you might need to change so you don't get choppiness in panning video. You could leave it at multi if you watch a lot of US DVD files or BluRay but it's down to your TV as to whether it will handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

If you use DreamEdit or Dreamset channel editor you never have to scan. You dictate the satellites, it downloads the data from kingofsat.

You update it yourself (you can also compare your database with the latest tp changes from kingofsat). It will delete the old sat stuff and replace with new etc. It maintains your saorview list and favs lists also.

You then have your own list always available to flash to any image by ftp. It flashes it to the appropriate folder on the box. This is pre configured.

312889.jpg

@STB - I think the advantage with ABM is that it can be set to run automatically every night at 4am or whatever and it maintains your bouquets without any manual intervention. Obviously suits a GB environment where you have a fixed SKY or Freesat setup and to some extent handles Freeview SD or cable, but it doesn't quite meet the requirements of the Irish need to merge Saorview and satellite. I don't think ABM will be amended further to suit the oddities of the Saorview system, so ultimately I think your method or one which uses E2 Autobouquets will be needed.

ps - do you mean DreamBoxEdit, not DreamEdit? I can't find DreamEdit on a google search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

fat-tony wrote: »
    ps - do you mean DreamBoxEdit, not DreamEdit? I can't find DreamEdit on a google search

Yes I meant dreambox edit. I had 2 versions on my PC. The one above is Dreamset and is basically the same thing. Although there are gazillions of userbouquet files for each category and encryption type etc, it loads them all from a lamedb. You can compare that with the internet (ie kingofsat's maintained updates) You then have a simple one button click to replace the updates. Once you have set the connection to your box it remembers and you ftp it across, takes about 10 seconds to a virgin box or an existing box for any E2 box.

Its a must if you have a multi satellite setup. It makes it easier to have pretuned channels when tweaking a dish.

You have a linux machine. Dreambox edit works fine under wine. Dreamset does not. Other advantage of Dreambox edit is that it also alllows the adding of IPTV channels to bouquets.

STB wrote: »
    Yes I meant dreambox edit. I had 2 versions on my PC. The one above is Dreamset and is basically the same thing. Although there are gazillions of userbouquet files for each category and encryption type etc, it loads them all from a lamedb. You can compare that with the internet (ie kingofsat's maintained updates) You then have a simple one button click to replace the updates. Once you have set the connection to your box it remembers and you ftp it across, takes about 10 seconds to a virgin box or an existing box for any E2 box.

Its a must if you have a multi satellite setup. It makes it easier to have pretuned channels when tweaking a dish.

You have a linux machine. Dreambox edit works fine under wine. Dreamset does not. Other advantage of Dreambox edit is that it also alllows the adding of IPTV channels to bouquets.

I'm already using DreamBoxEdit under Wine on ubuntu :) I tried Dreamset, but it kindof locked up :(. I've not had the time to play that much with ABM or E2 AutoBouquets, but I reckon I could probably manage to maintain a reasonable bouquet list with DreamBoxEdit myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

If you use DreamEdit or Dreamset channel editor you never have to scan. You dictate the satellites, it downloads the data from kingofsat.

You update it yourself (you can also compare your database with the latest tp changes from kingofsat). It will delete the old sat stuff and replace with new etc. It maintains your saorview list and favs lists also.

You then have your own list always available to flash to any image by ftp. It flashes it to the appropriate folder on the box. This is pre configured.

312889.jpg

I'll check that out STB.

I think that there must be a market out there for someone to write a book called 'Dummies guide to using Enigma 2 machines/Vix'

I'd certainly buy it :)

fat-tony wrote: »
    @STB - I think the advantage with ABM is that it can be set to run automatically every night at 4am or whatever and it maintains your bouquets without any manual intervention. Obviously suits a GB environment where you have a fixed SKY or Freesat setup and to some extent handles Freeview SD or cable, but it doesn't quite meet the requirements of the Irish need to merge Saorview and satellite. I don't think ABM will be amended further to suit the oddities of the Saorview system, so ultimately I think your method or one which uses E2 Autobouquets will be needed.

Yes, I have it set up to automatically update at 19.57 every evening (adds usually come on then so don't miss anything).

Guys,

A bit confused now.

Are you saying that with:

1) a motor, Autobouquet E2 is the way to go?

2) several LNBs, Dreambox Edit is the way to go?

or

3) a motor, Dreambox Edit is the way to go?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

iba wrote: »
    Guys,

A bit confused now.

Are you saying that with:

1) a motor, Autobouquet E2 is the way to go?

2) several LNBs, Dreambox Edit is the way to go?

or

3) a motor, Dreambox Edit is the way to go?

Thanks

I like to maintain control over my channel lists so don't touch any of those auto updaters (it takes seconds to scan a frequency - I've seen people on forums waiting days for an updated bouquet bemoaning a missing channel which I managed to restore in seconds :) ) and as STB says you can utilise KoS to stay updated.

Dreamset and DreamboxEdit do pretty much the same thing - my preference is DBE but it is a user thing.

If you have only 28.2 probably ABM but if you have any other satellites my advice is get a reputable settings list to preload the channels and then use DBE to order them to your preference.

But I always recommend getting your hands dirty and for the first time to do the work yourself so you at least know what's happening and are not alays relying on everything else to do the work for you.

radiowaves wrote: »
    I like to maintain control over my channel lists so don't touch any of those auto updaters (it takes seconds to scan a frequency - I've seen people on forums waiting days for an updated bouquet bemoaning a missing channel which I managed to restore in seconds :) ) and as STB says you can utilise KoS to stay updated.

Dreamset and DreamboxEdit do pretty much the same thing - my preference is DBE but it is a user thing.

If you have only 28.2 probably ABM but if you have any other satellites my advice is get a reputable settings list to preload the channels and then use DBE to order them to your preference.

But I always recommend getting your hands dirty and for the first time to do the work yourself so you at least know what's happening and are not alays relying on everything else to do the work for you.

Thanks Radiowaves,

This seems far to complicated for me - after looking at the instructions:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?4951-Create-DreamboxEdit-import-files-from-KingOfSat-26-12-2010

I see that we talked about this before too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87406498

You even said:

'KingofSat are notoriously slow to update even for the major satellites and some minor satellites are woefully out of date'

but I did not do it in the end because of its complicity and out of dateedness (new word) just went for autobouquet E2 instead (easier for someone like me).

Might look into again over the weekend, if I get time, and try and learn how to do it.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

iba wrote: »
    Thanks Radiowaves,

This seems far to complicated for me - after looking at the instructions:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?4951-Create-DreamboxEdit-import-files-from-KingOfSat-26-12-2010

I see that we talked about this before too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87406498

You even said:

'KingofSat are notoriously slow to update even for the major satellites and some minor satellites are woefully out of date'

but I did not do it in the end because of its complicity and out of dateedness (new word) just went for autobouquet E2 instead (easier for someone like me).

Might look into again over the weekend, if I get time, and try and learn how to do it.

Cheers

Yes, I believe that, I said the same thing there that I've said here. I've never attempted to go near auto-updating using WoS - read the post again - my very first line:
    radiowaves wrote: »
    I like to maintain control over my channel lists so don't touch any of those auto updaters (it takes seconds to scan a frequency

WoS is a nice compromise for anyone who wants everything automated but still have some control.

Notwithstanding what everyone has mentioned about using Dreamboxedit (which I promise I will look into using as soon as I get the time) the below may be the solution to autobouquets E2 not restoring from a backup.

Abu Bainez has advised that:

When in the backup screen, press Menu then Yellow button. That screen shot you posted will be shown. Navigate to each section in the path until you reach the full path.

go to "usr", press OK
    go to "lib", press OK
    go to "enigma2", press OK
    go to "python", press OK
    go to "Plugins", press OK
    go to "Extensions", press OK

go to "Autobouquets", press YELLOW to select it and then press Green to save.

Hopefully I will get a chance to do this this evening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm not entirely happy with some of the discussion on these threads as it seems obvious that people are using these boxes for card-sharing. I know they have a legitimate use as free to air boxes but any mentions I see of anything card sharing related is liable to get threads locked.

Ah, that is where the bugger was hiding. Hopefully now it will work with Autobouquet ticked/highlighted. (will tick camoFS for my CCTV too):

f8051bb5616b3fba203a736c33489d23.png

icdg wrote: »
    I'm not entirely happy with some of the discussion on these threads as it seems obvious that people are using these boxes for card-sharing. I know they have a legitimate use as free to air boxes but any mentions I see of anything card sharing related is liable to get threads locked.

ICDG,

There has been absolutly no card sharing talk in this thread whatsoever and there will not be.

This thread is purely(ish) about restoring settings when flashing a new image.

Regards

ditto - legitimate card use in own receiver only

As you know I have been using autobouquet E2. Now that I am going to learn about dreamboxedit (I installed it (version 6.0.0.1) and connected to the receiver with it tonight) should I switch to ABM instead or stay with Autobouquet E2 bearing in mind this is being used for a motorised dish?

Thanks

Advertisement