Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Animals are great company. I love my wee dog, although he lives with my parents so I don't get to hang out with him as much as I'd like to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I'd love a woof woof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

I don't know what I'd do without my fur babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    God no, he was in the opposite corner to where I threw it, and even at that I didn't aim it at anything in particular. I just had a sudden urge to throw something and it was either the fish or my €90 kettle . Or was it €100... I have had a particularly bad day so I just couldn't cope with the most simplest of tasks

I used be terrible for having temper tantrums. I have broken a number of phones, plates, a laptop once. It's completely irrational. It's an inability to cope.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I used be terrible for having temper tantrums. I have broken a number of phones, plates, a laptop once. It's completely irrational. It's an inability to cope.

I've come very close to it myself at times. Have always been able to hold it in though thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Hey guys :) Haven't posted here in aaages but feeling so stressed tonight and don't feel justified in talking to anyone.
    So as some of you know I was repeating the LC with the hope of studying medicine but dropped out a couple of months ago because I couldn't cope. I had done the hpat while I was in hospital, figured I had nothing to lose and didn't expect much to come of it but long story short got my results a few days ago and I actually scored high enough to guarantee a place with last years points. I'm very fortunate which is why I don't feel justified in what I'm saying. I guess I'm just feeling a little upset that people, well family, can't see that although yes, I have gotten my dream course, it doesn't really change anything? See I already feel like I'm coming across as a spoiled brat, feel free to tell me if I am :P. I don't know, I guess I wish people could understand that it's something very positive and of course I am over the moon but it still doesn't cure me of all my problems. I wasn't depressed because I was I didn't get medicine the 1st time around, I wasn't depressed because I was repeating my leaving cert, I wasn't depressed because I had to drop out. I was depressed because it is a mental illness just like any other type of illness and unfortunately I got it. Those things occurred as a result of depression not the reverse. Everyone now believes (and lets me know) that my life is perfect now, I am happy again, all my troubles are over and everything is right in my world. I've just been advised to stop taking all my meds by my mother because I "don't need them now". I just feel like it totally invalidates everything I've been through. My career is one important aspect of my life but it doesn't dictate everything else. I've still got a lot of things I have to work on so that I can continue to get better. I'm still in the early recovery process and this doesn't fix me. I'm just tired of insensitive and ignorant comments even though I know people mean well. I also feel like I can't complain because I have been incredibly lucky. Sorry this barely makes sense, it's ranty and I'm tired but I just had to get that off my chest :P

Totally understand what you mean alaskayoung. It's like people think that just because everything in your life seems to be going well, that mental illness just disappears. If only it was that easy.

And congrats on getting into medicine! I'm sure you'll make a great doctor.

Nicely done AlaskaYoung! I hope it's you that treat me when my lifestyle catches up with me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

You can have all the material riches, qualifications, luck etc in the world but that means nothing when it comes to depression & mental illnesses. Your feelings are totally justified - don't come off your meds just because people think all is right in the world again. You do what's best for you.

You can have all the material riches, qualifications, luck etc in the world but that means nothing when it comes to depression & mental illnesses. Your feelings are totally justified - don't come off your meds just because people think all is right in the world again. You do what's best for you.

Well said Nicole! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Hey alaskayoung! Was wondering how you have been.

So glad to hear you got medicine! Well done, huge achievement in itself, even more incredible when you have been so unwell.

I can relate to what you're saying. You've every right to be upset. It doesn't seem bratty or moany at all. It's very frustrating that people think problems just disappear overnight and it was all just a bit of an overreaction to life events. I know my parents thought I would be fine after a holiday, and they'd have the old me back, but I think reality is dawning on them. Hopefully you can manage to explain to your mum that the illness caused the problems and not the other way round, and that you need to keep talking the meds and working with your mental health team now as much as ever so you can get through college with as little disruption as possible.

Well done. I'm delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Thank you so much everyone, that means a lot :) Glad that I'm not being completely unreasonable!
    I guess in some strange way I'm aware myself that I have gotten a lot better these past few weeks and funny enough that scares me quite a bit too. I never would have thought improving would be a frightening prospect but I suppose I've been like this for such a long time now, I don't know what life is like without it. I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying I miss it, but depression is familiar and consistent and though it's hell when you're going through it, there's something comforting about it at all the same. I feel like people and life are moving faster now and I'm almost getting panicky like woaaah slow down a little :P Maybe that explains my reaction somewhat. Not sure if anyone else can relate to that or if I'm just crazy!

Just wondering, is anyone so badly 'unfocused' (if that's a word) from day to day that even making a list doesn't work for you? In theory it absolutely SHOULD work - you can see in black & white what you need to do, but you still find yourself doing other things or selecting things from said list and then forgetting about the rest? I wouldn't be surprised if it's just me. I made a mental note that I should make lunch, empty the dishwasher and hang out clothes to dry an hour ago I have emptied the dishwasher, stacked it and put on another load, and still haven't eaten. I'm a mess. Lol

Oh and the clothes are ready to be hung out, just not sure if I can trust the clouds right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Just wondering, is anyone so badly 'unfocused' (if that's a word) from day to day that even making a list doesn't work for you? In theory it absolutely SHOULD work - you can see in black & white what you need to do, but you still find yourself doing other things or selecting things from said list and then forgetting about the rest? I wouldn't be surprised if it's just me. I made a mental note that I should make lunch, empty the dishwasher and hang out clothes to dry an hour ago I have emptied the dishwasher, stacked it and put on another load, and still haven't eaten. I'm a mess. Lol

Oh absolutley nicole, im not even organised enough to write out a list never mind carry out whats on it. I usually walk into shops and forget what i went in there for or go to a certain part of the house and wonder why i ended up there. Absent minded doesnt even go there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Hello people,

I'm just back from a Taylor Swift concert, and it was the most unbelievably amazing concert ever. There was a part of her concert that I really wanted to share with you as I think it may resonate with a lot of people here as it did with me. It was a little three minute speech just over half way through and, I have to admit, even though I'm a 29 year old male, I did cry at this point. Anyway, here it is. Hopefully this helps and inspires a few of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ever feel like you've come to end of your journey?
    There is no more joy, nothing to gain from the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Wilberto wrote: »
    Hello people,

I'm just back from a Taylor Swift concert, and it was the most unbelievably amazing concert ever. There was a part of her concert that I really wanted to share with you as I think it may resonate with a lot of people here as it did with me. It was a little three minute speech just over half way through and, I have to admit, even though I'm a 29 year old male, I did cry at this point. Anyway, here it is. Hopefully this helps and inspires a few of you.

She's a very good role model in fairness. A very good message to send out to her huge fanbase. Jealous that you got to go though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ever feel like you've come to end of your journey?
    There is no more joy, nothing to gain from the future?

Short answer, yes. Many times. It's a manifestation of depressive illnesses and really is hard to deal with.. You've come to the right thread though, like all feelings, this too will pass, stay brave, stay the course and talk to us..

The thought of one coming to then end of their journey is very unsettling. I've felt that way once or twice before. A lot of soul searching is needed to divert your thoughts from it.

• Advertisement

Was meant to go to pride today but chickened out. I did go out last night which was good though.

How's everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

How's everyone?

Not as bad as last night. not great though, in a funk again. Again. *sigh*

Feeling lost today. Had a huge argument with my OH last night & it knocked me for six. I cried myself to sleep and have had a banging headache all day. We have friends up for the day so we're acting 'normal' round them but it's sooo tiring pretending! I know we still need to chat about last night & not looking forward to it!!
    Hugs to anyone who needs one :)

Was meant to go to pride today but chickened out. I did go out last night which was good though.

How's everyone?

You'll be able for the next one EI. :)

I was out with my old man for a walk today. Just some randon chit-chat. I faded out of it for a little while and I came to a realisation: I've never been happy. Not once in my life. Not too sure how to process that though. Like, is this it or will I gain it over time through more life experiences. I dunno.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

You'll be able for the next one EI. :)

I was out with my old man for a walk today. Just some randon chit-chat. I faded out of it for a little while and I came to a realisation: I've never been happy. Not once in my life. Not too sure how to process that though. Like, is this it or will I gain it over time through more life experiences. I dunno.

happiness.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I suffer with very flat mood all the time. Like stuff that should make me happy or i should get enjoyment from doesnt, i just have this flat feeling. Its like im no longer capable of feeling those emotions.

mg1982 wrote: »
    I suffer with very flat mood all the time. Like stuff that should make me happy or i should get enjoyment from doesnt, i just have this flat feeling. Its like im no longer capable of feeling those emotions.

Stuffing my face seems to be the one thing that gives me some joy LOL :o

Stuffing my face seems to be the one thing that gives me some joy LOL :o

Oh yeah i love me chocolate allright lol.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Oh yeah i love me chocolate allright lol.

Chocolate is one of the true essentials to life! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement