Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Emmy Awards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Absolutely delighted for Breaking Bad - every award they won was well deserved. True Detective would have fared much better had it been entered into the mini series category instead. That was a big mistake on the part of whoever put it forward.

Also delighted for Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife had it's best season yet and it's a farce it wasn't included in the Best Drama category.

Jim Parsons winning again is a joke, as is Modern Family winning Best Comedy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Have no idea how Modern Family and Jim Parsons managed to win yet again. Was expecting Veep to win best comedy.

Was expecting Martin Freeman or Billy Bob Thornton to get best mini-series actor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mark Ruffalo and Matt Bomer from The Normal Heart were robbed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just don't get the Jim Parson love, again! he must have something over a few influential people :D
    Delighted to see Julianna Margulies get recognition, the Good Wife is extremely underrated. Was hard choice between True Detective, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. I suppose with BrBa out of the equation it will be interesting to see who's up next year.

And Modern Family was great for around first and possibly second season, but don't get the continued love for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seth Meyers wasn't a great host, he seemed very flat and lost at times

Next year get one of the Jimmys, Fallon or Kimmel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Billy Crystals tribute to Robin Williams was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

To be fair, I've gotten into The Big Bang Theory recently and Jim Parsons is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Seth Meyers wasn't a great host, he seemed very flat and lost at times

Next year get one of the Jimmys, Fallon or Kimmel

Not Kimmel!!

I think Neil Patrick Harris would be a good choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Predictions:

Best Comedy Series:
    Will win: Modern Family (it will tie the record with Frasier - 5 series wins)
    Should win: Veep (it had a stellar year & it's Emmy bait)
    Dark horse: Orange is the New Black (it performed well at the Creative Arts Emmys, and it's a cultural phenomenon, but it shouldn't be in the comedy category which could hurt its chances)

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:
    Will win: Ricky Gervais, Derek (stunningly heartbreaking & funny performance)
    Should win: Ricky Gervais, Derek
    Dark horse: Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory (he's won 3 already); Matt LeBlanc, Episodes (overdue factor)

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:
    Will win: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (she's dynamite)
    Should win: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
    Dark horse: Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly (she's won before, and she's got a buzzed movie career going); Taylor Schilling, Orange is the New Black (if they really go for that show in a big way, she could get swept up)

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series:
    Will win: Tony Hale, Veep
    Should win: Fred Armisen, Portlandia (hilarious show & performance)
    Dark horse: Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine; Adam Driver, Girls

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
    Will win: Allison Janney, Mom
    Should win: Kate Mulgrew, Orange is the New Black
    Dark horse: Anna Chlumsky, Veep; Julie Bowen, Modern Family

Writing for a Comedy Series:
    Will win: Orange is the New Black
    Should win: Veep
    Dark horse: Veep

Directing for a Comedy Series:
    Will win: Orange is the New Black
    Should win: Modern Family
    Dark horse: Modern Family

- - - - - - -

Best Drama Series:
    Will win: Breaking Bad
    Should win: Breaking Bad
    Dark horse: True Detective

Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
    Will win: Matthew McConnaughey, True Detective
    Should win: Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (he should get a farewell Emmy, even though he's won 3 times before)
    Dark horse: Woody Harrelson, True Detective

Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
    Will win: Lizzy Caplan, Masters of Sex
    Should win: Lizzy Caplan, Master of Sex
    Dark horse: Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey; Claire Danes, Homeland

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:
    Will win: Josh Charles, The Good Wife
    Should win: Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
    Dark horse: Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad; Jim Carter, Downton Abbey

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
    Will win: Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
    Should win: Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
    Dark horse: Christine Baranski, The Good Wife

Writing for a Drama Series:

Directing for a Drama Series:

Why so quiet Nostradamus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

lertsnim wrote: »
    Not Kimmel!!

I think Neil Patrick Harris would be a good choice.

NO! they need him for the Tonys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Which tv seasons are the Emmys awarded against. I thought Breaking Bad finished in 2013?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Watched this last night, it was a bit meh although we have been spoiled over the last couple of years with the production standard of all the main award shows.

Shouldnt this have taken place in the Febuary/March awards season? Or was August always when Emmys were given out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Watched this last night, it was a bit meh although we have been spoiled over the last couple of years with the production standard of all the main award shows.

Shouldnt this have taken place in the Febuary/March awards season? Or was August always when Emmys were given out?

They kinda explained it in the intro section - Emmys are usually last Sunday in September before the Fall TV season begins but NBC have Sunday Night Football so that takes precedence so they moved the show to August but, as the VMA's were on Sunday, it finally got shifted to the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 daveyboy123

Comedy winners review:

Best comedy series: MODERN FAMILY
    I think Modern Family had one of its best seasons to date (5), so I don't mind it taking this award. It had a big hoo-ha storyline with the gay wedding, so it's the Emmys being politically correct. It now ties the record with Frasier for most comedy series wins. Who knows what will take it down next year? I don't think Orange is ever winning if it couldn't win for season 1, which was funnier than season 2.

Best lead actor, comedy series: JIM PARSONS, THE BIG BANG THEORY
    I had a feeling voters would not take to Ricky Gervais's controversial turn in Derek, and they rarely give awards to people playing versions of themselves (Louis CK, Matt LeBlanc). William H. Macy was too dramatic, and Don Cheadle is a filler nominee, leaving the only truly comedic performance to prevail, and rightly so; I love Parsons on that show (which is rubbish at the best of time), and is deserving of his four Emmys. Again, I don't see any new blood coming up next year that can stop him from winning a fifth.

Best lead actress, comedy series: JULIA LOUIS DREYFUS, VEEP
    Arguably the most respected & loved woman in Hollywood at the moment, Julia Louis-Dreyfus deserves every award going for her revelatory, hilarious performance in Veep. Amy Poehler will be up for the final season of Parks & Rec next year, and Lisa Kudrow will be back with season 2 of The Comeback, so who knows, maybe either of those ladies can win, but I really don't see why the Emmy voters will stop awarding JLD just because she has three for this show already (and two before that for Seinfeld and The New Adventures of Old Christine). But Poehler's never won an Emmy, which is criminal.

Best supp. actor, comedy series: TY BURRELL, MODERN FAMILY
    Burrell's win here is a bit inexplicable… He didn't have a very strong episode submission, and his co-star Jesse Tyler Ferguson had the overdue factor, leading me to think he'd finally get the gold. Burrell's already won an Emmy (2011), and won the SAG for best actor in a comedy earlier this year, indicating strong industry support. Plus, who doesn't love Phil Dunphy? This category is such a snooze-fest, it really needs some new blood.

Best supp. actress, comedy series: ALLISON JANNEY, MOM
    Kate Mulgrew was the strongest contender in this category for Orange is the New Black, but voters are suckers for laugh out loud styles of comedy (see Parsons and Burrell), and they also adore Allison Janney (this is her sixth win overall), so it's no wonder they went for her. Mom is the worst show on TV though, so it's quite astonishing that it is now considered an Emmy-winning comedy series. Bleugh.

I was pleased with the writing win for Louis CK and the directing win for Modern Family, though I thought both would go to Orange is the New Black, which was completely shut out of the Emmys apart from its three creative art wins a couple of weeks ago…

On the drama side, it's no wonder Breaking Bad swept, what a powerful final season. Bryan Cranston won three Emmys from 2008-2010, and it's fitting he should win his fourth for the last season, along with Anna Gunn and Aaron Paul picking up supporting wins. True Detective got a slap in the face, only winning best directing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 daveyboy123

IvaBigWun wrote: »

The Emmys are usually awarded in September, and have always been (apart from 2001, when they were held in November due to the 9/11 crisis). This year was the first year since the 70s that they were held in August. It's fitting that it should be at the end of the summer though, because the TV season is September - May. Oscar season is July - November usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I find it quite unbelievable that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has never even been nominated for an Emmy. I find it hard to take seriously sn awards show that doesn't acknowledge that show. It's bat**** crazy and absolutely hilarious. I think they even made an episode about how they're constantly ignored by the Emmys. It's as good a show as Parks and Rec in my opinion and easily much better than Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory.

Glad to see Louie got some recognition. That's a very good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I find it quite unbelievable that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has never even been nominated for an Emmy. I find it hard to take seriously sn awards show that doesn't acknowledge that show. It's bat**** crazy and absolutely hilarious. I think they even made an episode about how they're constantly ignored by the Emmys. It's as good a show as Parks and Rec in my opinion and easily much better than Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory.

Glad to see Louie got some recognition. That's a very good show.

That was one of their best episodes I though.

The scene in the rival bar where they're watching the guy and girl behind the bar was fantastic. It's always sunny deserves so much than they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

John Hamm will win next year

Advertisement