Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of Legal Proceedings for TV License

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

ted1 wrote: »
    have you a radio?

You don't need a licence for a radio, only for a device capable of receiving television broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BobTheBarman

ted1 wrote: »
    have you a radio?

Actually no.
    Unless a phone counts.

Thanks for the advice The_Morrigan.
    I guess I will contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would like to remind people not to be advising people to follow legally dubious practices.

seashore wrote: »
    They wont know where my next address is in 2 months so all they can do it keep sending letters to the present house?
    They're An Post, they know where you live!
    Also as it's not in my proper full name, perhaps I can just deny that it was me, bit of a long shot though!
    So you intend to commit perjury? This risks prison time.
    JoeySully wrote: »
    Why would you give your name to anyone who calls to your door. Id simply just say nothing and close the door. Nothing to be gained or lost by doing that. They cant take you to court if they don't know your name.
    They're An Post, they know your name!
    I am nearly sure they cannot find your new address, there are definitely data protection acts in place specifically to prevent companies sharing this kind of information.
    This doesn't apply to the collection of taxes and duties (which a TV licence is).
    No Pants wrote: »
    They do know his name.

However, they need to serve you with a summons in order to take this to court. You should move the TV elsewhere and not accept a summons. Instruct anyone else living there not to accept one too.
    Then the court will allow alternative serving of the summons.
    Your best chance of getting out of paying is to respond in writing saying that it was not your TV which the inspector saw and that you no longer own a TV.
    Irrelevant. If there is a TV on the premises, all residents are responsible for having a TV licence.
    How realistic this approach is will depend on what information you gave them at the door. Ultimately it is very difficult for them to prove that you own a TV, and it may just end up being the inspector's word against yours.
    And the court is likely to believe the inspector when they say they saw the TV through the open window.
    Ignoring it means they will chase you. Looking like you are going to fight it in court if necessary may just put them off as it probably won't be worth the hassle - they are set up to issue reminders and warnings (and these are usually effective enough) and process payments, not to take people to court.
    They take lots of people to court.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Set up the direct debit -13.13 euro a month - licence is valid and issused immediately and you just cancel in 2 months when you move. €26 for peace of mind. Can't see the negatives.

You can't cancel it after 2 months, the license is for one year, regardless of payment method.

Trust me as my friend ended up with a court appearance doing just as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

You can't cancel it after 2 months, the license is for one year, regardless of payment method.

Trust me as my friend ended up with a court appearance doing just as you suggested.

They do mention this quite a bit - the DD has to be for a year at a time but I don't see how they could enforce it. If your friend moved to another house that did have a license, what was he charged with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Victor wrote: »
    I would like to remind people not to be advising people to follow legally dubious practices.

They're An Post, they know where you live!

So you intend to commit perjury? This risks prison time.

They're An Post, they know your name!

This doesn't apply to the collection of taxes and duties (which a TV licence is).

Then the court will allow alternative serving of the summons.

Irrelevant. If there is a TV on the premises, all residents are responsible for having a TV licence.

And the court is likely to believe the inspector when they say they saw the TV through the open window.

They take lots of people to court.

Actually, they dont have your name. It is a major hurdle they face. If they had the names they could just send a letter saying get a licence or get a summons which is what they do once they get a name. Although I got a letter about a search warrant when they had a name instead of the usual licence or summons letter

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

markpb wrote: »
    They do mention this quite a bit - the DD has to be for a year at a time but I don't see how they could enforce it. If your friend moved to another house that did have a license, what was he charged with?
    Not sure, but he was sent the notice to appear in court at his previous address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Fine issued in absentia, 5 days in default.

Years from now it becomes an issue (see UPC et al, possibly being forced to supply subscriber information) / Garda clearance for something - and you get to spend the day with horny Bubba in Mountjoy.

Also the possibility of having to declare it on certain immigration forms - the only effect likely effect being laughed at.

OP Pay it, move it to the new address or get rid of the TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Just ring them and tell them that you don't have a tv and that you are willing to let the inspector in if he calls around.

Don't ignore it - you weren't there when they called, they are giving you the opportunity to explain why there is no licence registered at the address.

Strange thing happened with us. The inspector rang the bell and meanwhile wrote the letter mentioned in previous post. I picked the phone and let him in to view the property. He then told me to ignore the letter in the post.

Shall i ignore it or send it ?

Thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

tharmor wrote: »
    Strange thing happened with us. The inspector rang the bell and meanwhile wrote the letter mentioned in previous post. I picked the phone and let him in to view the property. He then told me to ignore the letter in the post.

Shall i ignore it or send it ?

Thanks.

Ring the number on the letter and inform them of situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

No, you're right. Even if the only thing you have in your house is a smartphone...no tv, no computer....you'll have to pay the charge.

what about an old nokia phone?
    Just ring them and tell them that you don't have a tv and that you are willing to let the inspector in if he calls around.

Don't ignore it - you weren't there when they called, they are giving you the opportunity to explain why there is no licence registered at the address.

When I was in that situation, I did as you suggested, ring, I got a person on the other end of the line continually saying I must have had a tv at the time, saying everyone has one, they got very annoyed about my declining to say I had a tv, saying they couldnt help me, as they only seem to accept admissions of having a tv, which at the time I didnt, they ended up saying Id have to sign a declaration, which I had to ring a second time for and still never arrived until months later, despite them knowing where I lived.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

cerastes wrote: »
    what about an old nokia phone?

When I was in that situation, I did as you suggested, ring, I got a person on the other end of the line continually saying I must have had a tv at the time, saying everyone has one, they got very annoyed about my declining to say I had a tv, saying they couldnt help me, as they only seem to accept admissions of having a tv, which at the time I didnt, they ended up saying Id have to sign a declaration, which I had to ring a second time for and still never arrived until months later, despite them knowing where I lived.

Ya since the inspector already inspected the property i think i should not bother. As he said dont bother about the letter....when i tried asking what was he saying about letter box....so probably i think he was happy that i dont have TV.

I know that when I gave away my telly, I received a notice requiring me to declare that I no longer had a TV. Failure to do so, according to the letter, was an offence.

This new proposed broadcasting act is taking the p**s. I've written to the previous and new ministers for communication saying so. The new minister sent a generic acknowledgement, the last ignored me.

If I have a TV, I get that I can receive RTE. In reality I never watched it, but fair enough - I ditched my TV so I wouldn't be liable for a tax on a service that I don't consume.

With the new act, I'm goosed. I don't want RTE, I have no wish to subsidise it, but by virtue of owning a computer which I need for work purposes in my house, I have to have a license? What a load of rot.

Back in the days when we had only RTE 1, or later Network 2, RTE as a public broadcaster was a necessary utility. Now I get my news from Newstalk and my TV from Netflix. Why exactly should I be liable to pay for Miriam O'Callaghan's hairdresser appointment?

I'm fine with needing a license for a TV. For those accessing via computer, it is trivial to authenticate and allow only license holders to view the online service. RTE needs to sink or swim on its own merits - a state broadcaster is not a civic requirement in current times.

Finally, there is a stealth tax I'm prepared to fight in court. I'm sure I'll lose if it comes to it, but I can't sit by and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

http://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-rte-case-gone-to-europe-1616593-Aug2014/

newstalk are taking a case to the eu about rtes licence subsidy. they want a level playing field. the sensible thing would be to get rid of the licence and let economically viable business hold its own.

emo72 wrote: »

newstalk are taking a case to the eu about rtes licence subsidy. they want a level playing field. the sensible thing would be to get rid of the licence and let economically viable business hold its own.

They can't do this. RTE would die.

emo72 wrote: »

This is the Accommodation & Property forum. Let's stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

Hi, I've been living here around 2 years licenceless. I received a final notice of legal proceedings today, but here's the kicker, the name on the letter isn't me. I'm a tenant and the name isn't the landlord either. What do ye think? The quote is "an application for a summons in your name , to appear in the district court, will be lodged..."
    Should I just pay it or is it better to keep my name out of the system. Gonna be stung with the broadcasting charge soon enough anyway I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

You opened someone else's post? ?? Maybe "return to sender not at this address"
    If it were me id just ignore it bur im quite stubborn

If you dont have a TV then you can ignore it. They will eventually send a summons by registered post so dont accept any unless its your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

Well it was obvious it's the TV licence. Was curious to see what they were saying. They obviously have a record of no licence at this address, is this just leaving me open to being chased and having to pay it anyway.

• Advertisement

Well it was obvious it's the TV licence. Was curious to see what they were saying. They obviously have a record of no licence at this address, is this just leaving me open to being chased and having to pay it anyway.

You have a few months before the summons arrive, then another while before they go chasing after a new name.

It is an offence to open post addressed to other people (without their consent).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They obviously have a record of no licence at this address, is this just leaving me open to being chased and having to pay it anyway.

Only if you have a TV.

And if you do, why not just amble down to An Post and buy a license for it?

Simples ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seashore

Hey, don't know if this is in the right section or not

The TV license went up there at the start of June and the following few days the TV license inspector called around at bout 7/8pm, he saw that there was a TV on in the front room of the house (house mate had curtains open and window open) so he rang the doorbell twice, with it being that late and two rings, i thought twas hardly TV license inspector. Looks like thought made a fool of me!

Got a notice of legal proceedings there a few days ago in the post saying that we've 7 days to pay the license. Housemate is gone in a week and I'm moving out of the house at the end of August so I've no intention of paying it.

How many other letters will they send after this notice of legal proceedings?
    How long can I ignore these letters for?
    Will 2 months be enough time for me to get out of the house without paying the license?

Well from my original post asking about the TV license, I ignored the letters that came, I think there was another 2 letters after the original one. I'm moved out of the house now nearly 3 weeks and there are other people staying in the house now, don't have a clue who they are but looks like they'll be getting the letters from now on. Moving into a house in Cork soon where I will pay the TV license, just though there was no point paying it for 2 and a half months!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Well from my original post asking about the TV license, I ignored the letters that came, I think there was another 2 letters after the original one. I'm moved out of the house now nearly 3 weeks and there are other people staying in the house now, don't have a clue who they are but looks like they'll be getting the letters from now on. Moving into a house in Cork soon where I will pay the TV license, just though there was no point paying it for 2 and a half months!

You could have paid it and brought it with you. The letters will still be addressed to you until they are either informed you no longer live there or that someone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seashore

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You could have paid it and brought it with you. The letters will still be addressed to you until they are either informed you no longer live there or that someone else does.

See the house in that I'm moving into already has a TV license, so I've no problem in paying my contribution to that, wasn't going to pay 160 quid for 3 months.

Advertisement