Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Annual Hay Fever Thread

Options
  • 17-06-2014 6:23pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't see one up yet, so I'll take the liberty.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK

:mad:

Worst in years!!!!!!

Anyone else suffering? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Stay away from me ya spluttering bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The farmers even have a protest over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My son's sniffling is driving me mental.

Does that count as suffering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My nose is running like a tap. I love the smell of freshly mown grass but I really suffer for it. Still, no modgy bites so far this year (yet) but give it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Piriton problem solved. I used to get hay-fever bad, sometimes it would last for 12 hours in the summer non-stop, so your best bet is Piriton.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My eyes are so red and sore.. It's an absolute curse.

Nothing is working to ease it this year...

Think I'm going to opt for the Kenalog injection... anyone know how to avail of it or how much it costs??

Piriton problem solved. I used to get hay-fever bad, sometimes it would last for 12 hours in the summer non-stop, so your best bet is Piriton.

PIRITON makes me drowsy, it's fine for night time but not during the day.. and even at that it's not doing much for me..

I've also tried Lorat, Clarytin, Zirtec... none are helping for any decent length of time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Doesn't work for plenty of people.

I'm using piriton, eye drops and a nasal spray at the moment, and none of them are making a difference. Still have raw, bloodshot eyes, a runny, itchy nose, constant sneezing and lots of nosebleeds :(

Trip to the GP may be in order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

xzanti wrote: »
    My eyes are so red and sore.. It's an absolute curse.

Nothing is working to ease it this year...

Think I'm going to opt for the Kenalog injection... anyone know how to avail of it or how much it costs??

Too late, you need to get it in April. But I think there's things you really need to know about it, don't ask me what. Best talk to your Doctor. Local honey is supposed to be the best thing for preventing hayfever. I suffer myself, i find a smear of vaseline just inside the nostrils help as it seems to catch most of the pollen. Curse of a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

PIRITON makes me drowsy, it's fine for night time but not during the day.. and even at that it's not doing much for me..

I've also tried Lorat, Clarytin, Zirtec... none are helping for any decent length of time..

Sounds as if you have TB.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that can be a problem with the drowsiness for sure. It can be a nasty one when you get it especially when the eye's get real itchy and sore while dribbling liquid exits the nose and eye's for days non-stop with no relief, nasty indeed.

Never Ever sniff it back in through the nose when you get it because it will never go, you just need to blow it out every time without fail and eventually it will clear up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

The problem is, if it starts you're fooked and taking nasal sprays or tablets rarely helps if its already kicked in.

The best thing to do is start taking the nasal spray a few weeks before the high season for hay fever (this is the way its supposed to be taken). You can also start taking the one a day tablets a week or so before, which helps.

Saying ALL of that, I didn't do either this year and I'm suffering also.

Has anyone else gotten hay fever late in their adult lives? I never suffered with this as a kid, it was only in my 20s that it started..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Does it work for endless runny noses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

May be an old wives tale and either coincidence or the placebo affect, but a spoonful of locally produced honey every 8 hours has really helped me.

Also another important thing... If you are a person that uses one of those nose-hair trimmers to remove nasal-hair, then you should try letting the nasal-hair to grow back inside your nose as the hair follicles block these particles. Just a thought. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The long term illness folks have had this one nailed for about 8 years now!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054940448

The problem is, if it starts you're fooked and taking nasal sprays or tablets rarely helps if its already kicked in.

The best thing to do is start taking the nasal spray a few weeks before the high season for hay fever (this is the way its supposed to be taken). You can also start taking the one a day tablets a week or so before, which helps.

Saying ALL of that, I didn't do either this year and I'm suffering also.

Has anyone else gotten hay fever late in their adult lives? I never suffered with this as a kid, it was only in my 20s that it started..

Yep, same here. It only started in my mid twenties and got so bad my eye's closed up as if they were hit 1,000 times by mike tyson, and my nose was in tatters for days.
    Nowhere near as bad now, I'd get it bad for maybe 15 minutes nowadays and it just goes, but the nack is never to sniffle it back up the nasal-passage because it just gets worse that way. Blow it all out constantly for no matter how long and it will go. Well it did for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I'm on antihistimes all year round thanks to my ENT, so no effects as of yet. I did get a nice bite on my leg though which is so painful. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chipped Nails

I never had hay fever and then one spring in my mid 20s it just kicked in.So annoying because nothing seems to work for longer than a few hours :(

hallo dare wrote: »
    I think there's things you really need to know about it, don't ask me what. Best talk to your Doctor. .

From a medical site.. Possible side effects;
    fast, slow, or uneven heart rate;
    feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
    swelling, rapid weight gain;
    dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain);
    problems with your vision;
    eye swelling, redness, discomfort, or drainage (may be signs of infection);
    severe depression, changes in mood or behavior;
    seizure (convulsions); or
    muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness.
    Less serious side effects may include:

nausea, bloating, appetite changes;
    stomach or side pain;
    headache, sleep problems (insomnia);
    acne, scaling, or other skin changes;
    a wound that is slow to heal;
    thinning hair;
    bruising or swelling;
    sweating more than usual; or
    irregular menstrual periods.

Yeah, you're grand, thanks.

• Advertisement

It's crazy isn't it, the tablet Piriton might help the problem but the side effects are a lot worse indeed for some folk...
    According to Drugs.com, users of Piriton can experience the following severe side effects in rare cases: irregular heartbeat, severe insomnia, severe headache and stomach pain, seizures, hallucinations, vision changes, severe dizziness, ringing in the ears and difficulty breathing. In addition, users may experience a severe allergic reaction to Piriton signaled by skin irritation and swelling of the throat or face. Always seek immediate medical attention if any of these side effects arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ColetteC

Does anybody think any of the brands work better than the other? Got hay fever for the first time about 12 years ago and always took Zirtek but I can't control it at all this Summer, particularly the last few days!! I feel sick I sneeze that much :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For stuffy nose, salt and water snorted up is great.

It's the same for sinusitis.

Dnt know about itchy runny eyes. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Piriton is great if you can't sleep. Believe me, you won't have hayfever symptoms but if you take it at night, you will sleep for Ireland.

It's sold OTC in Spain generically as a sleep aid. OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

hallo dare wrote: »
    Local honey is supposed to be the best thing for preventing hayfever.

Anyone know where to get Inner-city-dublin honey? Any community beehives out there? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Got a bad attack of Hayfever Saturday evening and got Clarityn from the 24hr Chemist over the counter, haven't had an attack since and my sneezing is even below normal levels. Everybody is different so I definitely wouldn't take medical advice from the internet least of all from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Seem to gradually have grown out of it, excluding last Saturday.

Gone be the days of allereze plus! Now I find piriteze decent and surprisingly boots own tablets are very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse_isotonic.php

That used together with an antihistamine works for me. I used to be banjaxed every summer with it.. even while taking tablets. The sinus rinse is a great job altogether. Bit uncomfortable the first few times but after that it's a breeze and works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I don't see one up yet, so I'll take the liberty.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK

:mad:

Worst in years!!!!!!

Anyone else suffering? :(

Oh yes.. it's the worst it's been in years. Throat is v scratchy too. Never had that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Like I said in the heatwave thread: cannabis works wonders for hayfever. At least it did for my friend and I.

Advertisement