Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you trust the scale?

Options
  • 13-06-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi All,

Bit of a strange one I thin not sure. I was doing my weigh in today (first one of a long process) and it was set to kg. I have a digital scale with a glass top. Anyway, hopped on and got back 89.4kg (worrying I know) which was 14st 1lbs. So then I set the thing to st/lbs and hop back on and get 13st 12.5lbs. Anyone know what the craic is? The weight is different depending on if the scale is set to kg or st/lbs before stepping on? I wouldn't mind a small difference of 0.5lbs but 2.5lbs seems like a big difference, no?

Cheers guys and gals!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Digital scales have a habit of hopping around to different weights. My own is sometimes out - always on the high side - by about 1.3kg.

Sometimes it's spot on, sometimes it's high.

But I caliibrate it every time so I know when it's high and what to take off accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Digital scales have a habit of hopping around to different weights. My own is sometimes out - always on the high side - by about 1.3kg.

Sometimes it's spot on, sometimes it's high.

But I caliibrate it every time so I know when it's high and what to take off accordingly.

How would one calibrate it? Sorry as I say I'm new to this :)

I've a 12kg Kettlebell. It's the only time it's used. Turns out it's 11.7kg.

I put that on the scale first to make sure that it's reading right. Then I hop on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've a 12kg Kettlebell. It's the only time it's used.

Swap ya for my 6 kg one
    :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Swap ya for my 6 kg one
    :pac:

I have too many paperweights as it is :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sometimes, if I pick up my scales and move it. The first reading or two can be off. Probably what happened with the st/lbs reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did you use your 12kg kettlebell to test that the scales was working properly and then use the scales to find out the kettlebell actually weighed 11.7?

did you use your 12kg kettlebell to test that the scales was working properly and then use the scales to find out the kettlebell actually weighed 11.7?

NASA weighed it for me.

NASA weighed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

NASA weighed it for me.

Twice?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Twice?

Thrice.

And I double checked it with a newly calibrated industrial scale at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Thrice.

And I double checked it with a newly calibrated industrial scale at work.

Show off

chriity139 wrote: »
    Show off

Fail to prepare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I don't rust my scales anymore. Normally it is very reliable but it tends to throw a random wobbly sometimes. Last week I weighed myself 3 times within one minute and the scales repeatedly said that I had lost no weight. I then watched TV for an hour and tried again, this time the scales said I had lost 5 pounds. So, I brushed my teeth and tried again, then it said I had lost 3 pounds. So, I had a shower and tried again, this time I had lost 2 pounds. So, I gave up and went to the gym and used their scales which confirmed a 3 pound loss.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I don't rust my scales anymore. Normally it is very reliable but it tends to throw a random wobbly sometimes. Last week I weighed myself 3 times within one minute and the scales repeatedly said that I had lost no weight. I then watched TV for an hour and tried again, this time the scales said I had lost 5 pounds. So, I brushed my teeth and tried again, then it said I had lost 3 pounds. So, I had a shower and tried again, this time I had lost 2 pounds. So, I gave up and went to the gym and used their scales which confirmed a 3 pound loss.

What I learned here is that brushing your teeth is good for weight loss.

Try flossing as well the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Make sure it's on a flat surface. Water retention can account for variation.

Advertisement