Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork County council to reduce property tax by 15%

Options
  • 10-06-2014 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting.
    CORK County Council has become the first local authority in the country to agree to reduce the Local Property Tax (LPT) in its area.

The motion proposed by the now 10 strong Sinn Féin grouping was passed after a lengthy debate on the matter.

Bandon-based Sinn Féin councillor Rachel McCarthy said, “When we canvassed over the past few months the property tax and the inability of people to afford it was a topic which came up often on the doorstep.

“The disappointment that even after paying it there was no improvement in the provision of local services was also very evident. The Sinn Féin party is committed to abolishing the tax if ever in a position to do it at a national level, but at local level a 15% reduction per annum is what we can do and are doing,” she said.

I wonder how many more SF led local authorities will follow suit?

Like this bit from the article.
    Clonakilty-based Sinn Féin councillor Paul Hayes said, “Sinn Féin said we would reduce the property tax and that process is now started. We will bring a new transparent way of doing business to County Hall as we said we would. The electorate wanted and voted in favour a break from the cosy consensus which existed and I think we have begun that after just one meeting with getting this motion passed”.

http://westcorktimes.com/home/archives/26143

The cosy cartels ain't gonna like the rocking of the applecarts.

Big Phil is gonna go mad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

That'll be all good and well until they come whinging to central government looking for them yo fill the hole in their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I'd love Wicklow to follow suit.

I'd also love SF to explain what local programmes get cut to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

For a start they could cut the massive waste in county councils and cosy nepotistic back scratching that goes on. Fair play on the transparency issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Valetta wrote: »
    That'll be all good and well until they come whinging to central government looking for them yo fill the hole in their budget.

Do you know or just hope that will Happen?

I am just glad to see a political party following through on pre election promises tbh.

Remind me what did FG say they'd do about property tax before elections?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

That's about an extra 15 million that big Phil is going to have to find for his beloved consultants before Inda ships him of to Europe to make a show of us there,but he backed Enda and that's the main thing.

That's it, I'm moving my house to cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

A 15% reduction is not brilliant if they still dont deliver anything.

Paying 85% for nothing isn't a good deal. If they are planning on delivering 0, I would like to pay 0 please... Good Value.

We pay (a lot) for roads, the roads have holes deep enough to chat to my emigrated brother in Oz. Are they being fixed?

The alloy wheel on my car was buckled only last week (still seething after paying 360 for my road tax on the 1st) The alloy will be costing me another 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

'Nobody will vote for them, it's just populist crap'

'Well they did get in but they will not be enacting any of their policies!'

'Okay they have enacted their polices and I'm losing things to say about them!'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Cork County Council is lead by Fianna Fáil I thought?

Fianna Fáil regains control of Cork as deal struck

I can see this being replicated in the Dublin councils too. It was a key commitment made by most opposition candidates. It will be interesting to see how it works out though because the government certainly wont increase central funding and services still have to be paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I wish Sinn Fein could have taken control of Kerry County Council, there is most awful wastage among Kerry Co. Council. Kenmare town is in the process of getting a new bypass and work has been ongoing in it for over 4 years and it is less than 1km long. Work is carried out by Kerry Co. Council roads crews and if you trained chimpanzees and gave them shovels you'd find the road would be built quicker. It is an absolute disgrace when all road maintaince and construction should be outsourced to the private sector and this road which is 4 years in the making could have been completed in around 4 - 6 weeks for a much smaller cost than Kerry Co. Council who's main aim appears to be as a glorified Social Employment Scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

wazky wrote: »
    'Nobody will vote for them, it's just populist crap'

'Well they did get in but they will not be enacting any of their policies!'

'Okay they have enacted their polices and I'm losing things to say about them!'

You have just quoted my post and added some random words that nobody has said.

Do you have a point to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Interesting.

Disaster. They're shooting themselves in the foot.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I wish Sinn Fein could have taken control of Kerry County Council, there is most awful wastage among Kerry Co. Council. Kenmare town is in the process of getting a new bypass and work has been ongoing in it for over 4 years and it is less than 1km long. Work is carried out by Kerry Co. Council roads crews and if you trained chimpanzees and gave them shovels you'd find the road would be built quicker. It is an absolute disgrace when all road maintaince and construction should be outsourced to the private sector and this road which is 4 years in the making could have been completed in around 4 - 6 weeks for a much smaller cost than Kerry Co. Council who's main aim appears to be as a glorified Social Employment Scheme.

That won't change in a hurry considering the Healy Rae's construction business is constantly hired for every construction job the council undertakes.

You have just quoted my post and added some random words that nobody has said.

Do you have a point to make?

I think the point is people are just looking for something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

doesn't really matter they'll just get more of the Dublin householders property tax to make it up

local spend my arse

I can actually see them cutting the waste in councils.

You still for leaving the country?

And I'm not alone in thinking that it would seem.
    Despite councils having the power to reduce the property tax in the area by up to 15pc from next year, just one in 20 believe their bill will be reduced.

Under the property tax law, councils will have the power to increase or decrease the local rate by up to 15pc depending upon their financial position.

If councils feel they can manage their budgets, they can cut the property tax to be paid by homeowners in the local authority area.

However, if the council needs more money to balance the books, it can increase the rate.

Councils in Dublin, in particular, are expected to get a windfall when 80pc of the property tax revenue goes directly to the local authority where it is collected.

The huge increase in income streams, particularly in urban areas, was expected to result in cuts in the levels of property tax paid in the cities. Due to the larger density of population and properties, councils in large urban areas will get a bonanza next year when they get to keep €4 out of every €5 collected in property taxes.

The poll finds 54pc of people believe property taxes in their area will increase next year, with this view stronger among Sinn Fein voters at 63pc, 55- to 64-year-olds at 60pc, higher earners at 60pc, and people living in Leinster at 57pc.

More than four in 10 (43pc) believe property taxes will be maintained at their present rate, with their stance higher among Fine Gael supporters, 43pc, people living in Dublin 40pc, and Labour voters, 42pc.

The Labour Party had planned to make a promise to reduce property taxes the central plank of their local elections campaign.

The party had planned to pledge that its councillors would work to ensure councils they were in control of managed their spending to ensure property taxes were cut.

But the backlash against the Government parties dominated the local elections campaign, with property taxes barely being covered in the debate.

This year, the proceeds of the property tax are going to run Irish Water, before it gets its own revenue stream.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/most-homeowners-feel-property-tax-rates-will-rise-next-year-30339031.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Interesting.

Cork County Councils largest party is Fianna Fail

Cant believe people are cheering them on as they attempt to narrow the tax again

Flex wrote: »
    Cork County Councils largest party is Fianna Fail

Cant believe people are cheering them on as they attempt to narrow the tax again

Narrow the tax for ordinary people.

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    doesn't really matter they'll just get more of the Dublin householders property tax to make it up

local spend my arse

I think Dublin will more than likely follow suit.

A motion to lower Louth has been postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I am just glad to see a political party following through on pre election promises tbh.

Remind me what did FG say they'd do about property tax before elections?

even if those promises lead to services cut or a problem with the budget not adding up , just to keep a pre election promise ???

Sure that is what FF?FG?LAB have been doing for decades , with comically disastrous results

Great idea , now where does the 15 % come from?

dj jarvis wrote: »
    even if those promises lead to services cut or a problem with the budget not adding up , just to keep a pre election promise ???

Sure that is what FF?FG?LAB have been doing for decades , with comically disastrous results

Great idea , now where does the 15 % come from?

Wait. Is their an actual 15% shortfall?

How can you tell so soon?

Wait. Is their an actual 15% shortfall?

How can you tell so soon?

em , if you reduce the amount by 15% , then there is a 15% shortfall
    the real question is can they still do the things needed for the county with 15% less LPT coming in,

If they can - fairball to the them,

but........ they are politicians , they have a habit of being spoofing ****2ers
    who would say mass - Sinn Fein or not.

Their budget from last year would have been accounting the full LPT rate , not 15% less , so stands to reason it will be down by 15%

dj jarvis wrote: »
    em , if you reduce the amount by 15% , then there is a 15% shortfall
    the real question is can they still do the things needed for the county with 15% less LPT coming in,

If they can - fairball to the them,

but........ they are politicians , they have a habit of being spoofing ****2ers
    who would say mass - Sinn Fein or not.

Their budget from last year would have been accounting the full LPT rate , not 15% less , so stands to reason it will be down by 15%

A shortfall is not having enough money to meet an obligation/pay a debt.

Just because they've cut it by 15% doesn't necessarily mean they will need it. You understand that, surely?

Cork County council obviously think they can streamline certain areas of the budget, and with SF eager to show transparency, I think it might just be fair to assume that their might be 15% of wastage cut out this year.

This is only the beginning. SF will be the Cat among the pigeons. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Joey JoeJoe Junior Shabadoo

They have property taxes and water charges in Northern Ireland. It's £900 per year per household, it covers bin charges, water, property tax and children's school books.

They have property taxes and water charges in Northern Ireland. It's £900 per year per household, it covers bin charges, water, property tax and children's school books.

No water charges in the north.

Seriously. Why do the uniformed keep repeating this:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

househero wrote: »
    A 15% reduction is not brilliant if they still dont deliver anything.

Paying 85% for nothing isn't a good deal. If they are planning on delivering 0, I would like to pay 0 please... Good Value.

We pay (a lot) for roads, the roads have holes deep enough to chat to my emigrated brother in Oz. Are they being fixed?

The alloy wheel on my car was buckled only last week (still seething after paying 360 for my road tax on the 1st) The alloy will be costing me another 200.

Be happy you're not paying 673 and can afford the alloys.

I assume they'll increase business rates if there's a budget shortfall.

A shortfall is not having enough money to meet an obligation/pay a debt.

Just because they've cut it by 15% doesn't necessarily mean they will need it. You understand that, surely?

Cork County council obviously think they can streamline certain areas of the budget, and with SF eager to show transparency, I think it might just be fair to assume that their might be 15% of wastage cut out this year.

This is only the beginning. SF will be the Cat among the pigeons. ;)

funniest thing i have read in ages ;)

yea SF , the ONLY political party that will keep its promises - EVER !!!
    oh yea shinbots are in for a rude awakening , they are as useless as all the others - politics and politicians are corrupt , but dont believe me , look at history , and come back to me next election , we shall see how many of the promises they have kept

• Advertisement

No water charges in the north.

Seriously. Why do the uniformed keep repeating this:confused:

they do , its included in the overall tax thy pay , why do all shinners ignore reality !!!

Oh yea , i understand now :p

Advertisement