Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed *HIGHER MATHS* Help!!!

Options
  • 10-06-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys!I am very sad to announce such a thing but I most likely failed higher maths.I completely messed it up in paper 1 and did a bit better in paper 2.I estimate a 20 to 25% in paper 1 and a 40-50% in paper 2.I was so stressed by the time and could not think clearly.I don't know what to do now.I don't really want to go to a plc and don't have the courage to repeat next year.What options do I have in this situation? I am desperate guys please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mothnot

Hey.........keep calm. All is never lost. You do not know for sure how you actually did and how you will pick up marks within a question that you got completely wrong. Correctors are there to get you as many marks as they can.
    Good to know that you are human!!! Chin up and fight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Joshss

mothnot wrote: »
    Hey.........keep calm. All is never lost. You do not know for sure how you actually did and how you will pick up marks within a question that you got completely wrong. Correctors are there to get you as many marks as they can.
    Good to know that you are human!!! Chin up and fight.....
    Thanks for the encouragement man I really do appreciate it.I hope for the best but I am trying to be realistic so I know what to do next.The chance of me passing that is 20%.I am so sad because I could do way better but I was so stressed.I can't actually believe that I did so bad and I am in this situation.Is there any way of repeating this maths exam just for the pass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Joshss wrote: »
    Please anyone?I am in the worst situation that I could ever be.

Try to relax. The chances are that you did better than you realise and stressing out over it will not help you. Put it from your mind and focus on the rest of the exams and when you get your results in August you can work out where to go from there.

FYI, I repeated my maths exam when I did the leaving cert and I went on to get an A in higher level. Believe me, your situation isn't as bad as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

First off it is not there worst situation ever.. it really isn't.... have a sit down and think rationally.. everyone, i mean everyone, makes a cock up of one thing or another at one time.. no one has died, there are always options, always.
    Have you applied for a specific course that relies on maths to get in.. if so, the best way forward is to contact the course you want and ask them what are your options... repeating is not the end of the world, PLCs are actually really good, a good way to be introduced to college life and a good year to think if you are really really sure of what you want to do..
    Honestly, this is not the worst situation you will ever be in , far from it... these things happen in life, life is a lot more than just this.. take some deep breaths and thing rationally about your next step x

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JoeyBohs

Please anyone?I am in the worst situation that I could ever be.

Some colleges accept an E in higher maths in their entry requirements. You'll still need to get the points obviously though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

I felt exactly the same during the mocks.. ended up getting 52%! And remember, project maths is just new.. they are willing to do anything to not let people fail.. you will be grand!

(remember, 38% still counts as a pass)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hi guys!I am very sad to announce such a thing but I most likely failed higher maths.I completely messed it up in paper 1 and did a bit better in paper 2.I estimate a 20 to 25% in paper 1 and a 40-50% in paper 2.I was so stressed by the time and could not think clearly.I don't know what to do now.I don't really want to go to a plc and don't have the courage to repeat next year.What options do I have in this situation? I am desperate guys please help.

Chances are, you did better than your estimates but say if you did get 25% in one paper and 50% in the other, that's over 37-38% altogether and you should pass. They want you to pass.

Try to calm down a bit because it's probably not as bad as you think. Focus on the rest of your subjects until the LC is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Joshss

Thank you guys you really made feel me better now.Yous are right I need to relax and focus to the rest of my exams now.
    I was so devastated and discouraged about maths that I almost forgot to keep working hard for my other exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

If you don't pass Maths you can still go to UL if you're willing to :) They have a special exam during summer for those who failed Maths on the LC. If you pass their Maths test (I think it's in August) you're in!
    So don't give up because you still need to get enough points for the course you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Thank you guys you really made feel me better now.Yous are right I need to relax and focus to the rest of my exams now.
    I was so devastated and discouraged about maths that I almost forgot to keep working hard for my other exams.

It won't be as bad as you think, they rarely are. All you need is a pass. Keep calm, forget about it and move on to the next exams.

• Advertisement

Now that more like it!!!!F*** that exam and move on to the rest. There is always a way around things. Chin up and keep the head as it will all be over soon. Remember that this is like a mind game. You cram loads of information into the head for a particular exam. Then the pressure you pile on yourself, causing stress and lack of sleep and panic. Cruel really....should be kinder to yourself and accept that you can only do the best that you can given the circumstances and the paper.
    Come on ...be positive here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

My teacher told me that they only fail 2% of students so thers another positive!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

1. You probably haven't failed, but if you don't relax and get your focus back, you are in real danger of at least losing marks on your next paper(s) due to stress / distraction.

2. Do you actually require maths for the courses you want? While a lot of courses do require at least a pass in maths, not all do.

3. If they do, there may be other options. I'm gonna be lazy and quote from another thread here! :pac:
    d1234 wrote: »
    Found this on www.independent.ie - it's from last year

A number of universities and other HEIs -- NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth, University of Limerick, DIT ( Dublin Institute of Technology) and CIT ( Cork Institute of Technology) -- hold second-chance maths exams at higher-level standard for applicants who failed to meet the normal maths requirement for their Level 8 engineering and some other degrees.

WIT (Waterford Institute of Technology) is holding a second-chance maths exam on a pilot basis this year for students to any course who have failed to achieve the standard maths grade for entry (normally a pass grade at ordinary level).

The content of this second-chance exam paper will be based on the Leaving Certificate (ordinary level) syllabus.

In all of these exams, no additional points will be added to the applicants' scores, so they must already have the required points from their other subjects.

Students must register to sit these second-chance exams, all of which take place next week.

Details can be found on the college websites, which can be accessed through www.cao.ie, and then click " HEI contact details" from the left-hand menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Nicke011 wrote: »
    If you don't pass Maths you can still go to UL if you're willing to :) They have a special exam during summer for those who failed Maths on the LC. If you pass their Maths test (I think it's in August) you're in!
    So don't give up because you still need to get enough points for the course you want!

Most of the ITs and some universities have these. If you're really that worried, check it out, but for the moment forget about it. You don't need the extra stress and there'll be plenty of time to beat that dead horse over the summer. Good luck, and may the curve be with you.

mothnot wrote: »
    Now that more like it!!!!F*** that exam and move on to the rest. There is always a way around things. Chin up and keep the head as it will all be over soon. Remember that this is like a mind game. You cram loads of information into the head for a particular exam. Then the pressure you pile on yourself, causing stress and lack of sleep and panic. Cruel really....should be kinder to yourself and accept that you can only do the best that you can given the circumstances and the paper.
    Come on ...be positive here.....

Well how did the Maths go???

Advertisement