Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing foundation level maths - what are my options?

Options
  • 09-06-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Ok so I did paper 1 on Friday and it actually went ok and I was given some beacon of hope that maybe by some miracle I would get a B2, which I need for college. However I was absolutely disgusted with paper 2 today. Majority of questions were on trigonometry which the teachers at school never bothered to teach me.
    I knew it came up loads so I asked my grinds trencher within the school to ask him would he try teach me it. I should point out that I was asking the principal for extra help for maths since the beginning of 5th year and only got help in late April. Anyways, the teacher helped me with me lots of stuff and by this time it was middle of May, he said there was no point going over the trigonometry as it would take months to properly grasp it so we left it even though I was worried because I knew it's such a big feature in foundation papers. About 4-5 questions were in trigonometry today much to my dismay. I literally had to make a miserable weak attempt at them. Based on the disaster of paper 2, I'm obviously not going to get a B2, in fact I've probably more than likely failed. I got 19% in the mock...I would like to know what are my options now? What colleges don't need maths at all? I've looked into PLC's of course but I would like to see of there's any college at all that doesn't need maths. Regarding courses I'd like hospitality management or the tourism sector like front office work or PR courses or planning events.
    Thanks for any advice in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Your only option is a plc i'm afraid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Not necessarily.

Check the specific requirements for the courses you are interested in on Qualifax or on the college websites, OP.

While a requirement to have passed maths at some level will apply to most courses certainly, it's not universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Some colleges have their own special maths exam such as DIT, NUIG and UL. There are also lots of courses that don't require maths. Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Found this on www.independent.ie - it's from last year

A number of universities and other HEIs -- NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth, University of Limerick, DIT ( Dublin Institute of Technology) and CIT ( Cork Institute of Technology) -- hold second-chance maths exams at higher-level standard for applicants who failed to meet the normal maths requirement for their Level 8 engineering and some other degrees.

WIT (Waterford Institute of Technology) is holding a second-chance maths exam on a pilot basis this year for students to any course who have failed to achieve the standard maths grade for entry (normally a pass grade at ordinary level).

The content of this second-chance exam paper will be based on the Leaving Certificate (ordinary level) syllabus.

In all of these exams, no additional points will be added to the applicants' scores, so they must already have the required points from their other subjects.

Students must register to sit these second-chance exams, all of which take place next week.

Details can be found on the college websites, which can be accessed through www.cao.ie, and then click " HEI contact details" from the left-hand menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Ok so I did paper 1 on Friday and it actually went ok and I was given some beacon of hope that maybe by some miracle I would get a B2, which I need for college. However I was absolutely disgusted with paper 2 today. Majority of questions were on trigonometry which the teachers at school never bothered to teach me.
    I don't know what you understand by trigonometry, but only the very last part of the very last question was trigonometry on the foundation paper. If you had left trig out completely it would have made very little difference to your grade.
    The best thing you can do now is move on from this setback and don't let it interfere with your next exams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

derb12 wrote: »
    I don't know what you understand by trigonometry, but only the very last part of the very last question was trigonometry on the foundation paper. If you had left trig out completely it would have made very little difference to your grade.
    The best thing you can do now is move on from this setback and don't let it interfere with your next exams!

Oh there was stuff on show the line l and stuff about midpoints and similar stuff like that...is that not trigonometry? :embarrassed: and thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

its very hard to fail foundation maths most examiners will give you a past if you just write sumting realatable to the question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oh there was stuff on show the line l and stuff about midpoints and similar stuff like that...is that not trigonometry? :embarrassed: and thank you! :)

Thats co ordinate geometry :) Trig is triangles, sin/cos/tan/ pythagorus etc haha but in foundation they give marks away so easy, like you get attempt marks just for writing out the formulae needed for the question. Like even without inputting any info into the formula! youll be fine dont worry

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Silver Sniper

I knew it came up loads so I asked my grinds trencher within the school to ask him would he try teach me it. I should point out that I was asking the principal for extra help for maths since the beginning of 5th year and only got help in late April. Anyways, the teacher helped me with me lots of stuff and by this time it was middle of May, he said there was no point going over the trigonometry as it would take months to properly grasp it so we left it even though I was worried because I knew it's such a big feature in foundation papers. About 4-5 questions were in trigonometry today much to my dismay. I literally had to make a miserable weak attempt at them. Based on the disaster of paper 2, I'm obviously not going to get a B2, in fact I've probably more than likely failed. I got 19% in the mock...I would like to know what are my options now? What colleges don't need maths at all? I've looked into PLC's of course but I would like to see of there's any college at all that doesn't need maths. Regarding courses I'd like hospitality management or the tourism sector like front office work or PR courses or planning events.
    Thanks for any advice in advance

To get a fail after thinking you got a B2 in paper one means you'd have to get less than 20%...

Advertisement