Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verified by visa

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭lau1247

dudara wrote: »
    Why do people have so much trouble with this one password? It's probably one of the more important passwords, especially as security measures like this are only going to get more and more common.

For me the problem was the criteria of password, e.g. 8 characters with mixture of letters and numbers etc.

I think most would agree that they have some password they would like to use but because of such restriction, we have to modify our ideal password and as such made it easy to forget the variation of the ideal password

Or maybe that is just me??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭lau1247

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Post your password here & we can remind you of it.

:D

The level of your savings may rise as well as fall.

If it is rising, you're doing it wrong :P

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just remembered mine on only the second try... feeling rather smug :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I constantly forget both the password and the answer to the security question. >.< I've had my account blocked 3 times. >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

maguic24 wrote: »
    I constantly forget both the password and the answer to the security question. >.< I've had my account blocked 3 times. >.<

Oh I've had to ring them every time except today - in fairness anyone who's answered my calls has been great and helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

dee_mc wrote: »
    Oh I've had to ring them every time except today - in fairness anyone who's answered my calls has been great and helpful!

Yes, same!! Always very nice and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

A few times I was sure i put in the right password first time and visa rejected it.
    I think it has a random bug which then makes people think they have forgotten their password.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

well.. the plot thickens..

day off work.. am tired and nowhere in the mood for cooking, so decided to order some takeaway via justeat.. (which doesnt even ask for a verified by visa password iirc)

of course my card is blocked now!

so this may be my last post.. as i wither away into a skeleton of my former self.. with nowhere to go, unhappy and malnourished, lost in this abyss of not being able to spend my money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ye aren't buying enough online. You have to buy enough for rattling this password off to become second nature.

i buy ALOT online.. music hardware/equipment and instruments, clothes, wet suits (and other water stuffs).. pay for music.. order lots of vinyl.. et cetera... none of these sites ask for this silly feckin password... things that cost up to and over a thousand euro.

verified by visa = should have learned to play the piano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

djerk wrote: »
    i buy ALOT online.. music hardware/equipment and instruments, clothes, wet suits (and other water stuffs).. pay for music.. order lots of vinyl.. et cetera... none of these sites ask for this silly feckin password... things that cost up to and over a thousand euro.

verified by visa = should have learned to play the piano

Sites have to pay visa for the service which is why it doesn't always show up.

that doesnt make any sense.. cause if they didnt have that "3rd party" password the seller couldnt access your account to debit funds..?

that doesnt make any sense.. cause if they didnt have that "3rd party" password the seller couldnt access your account to debit funds..?

Sorry, not understanding you there.

eh.. using visa and.. the verified by visa thing are two kettles of fish ;)

ofc now i just realise i have a weeks pay in an envelope in front of me and could have paid in cash.

eh.. using visa and.. the verified by visa thing are two kettles of fish ;)

ofc now i just realise i have a weeks pay in an envelope in front of me and could have paid in cash.

Still not sure if I understand what you're getting at but VbV is a security layer provided by Visa to a merchant at a cost. There are many transactions that actually pass through the VbV system unbeknownst to you, it's just the system doesn't consider the transaction high risk enough to challenge you. Challenges aren't always based on amount. Surprisingly enough takeaway food is a popular fraud tester hence why you might see VbV challenges for it. Dominoes UK is a big fraud tester for example.

The reason why merchants sign up to the VbV service and pay a fee for it is that it makes them immune to chargebacks (ie if fraud happened and the transaction was VbV approved (even if not password challenged) then the bank/financial institution has to pay back the card holder and can't recoup the money from the merchant).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Seriously though (I know I know!)

this has to be one of the stupidest pieces of online security ever invented

first of all you dont use it very often..maybe 3 or 4 times a year for most people when you buy something somewhere new.

The password requirements are tough so many people have to make up a special password for it

Then when you are asked to use it you have to type in random selected characters out of 12.

For me and for a lot of people this means writing down the password to pick out the right letters thus defeating the whole object of the exercise.

not a big fan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I hate this bloody thing - it never works right with my visa debit card so I often end up paying with the credit card (which does work) and having to shuffle money around.

Not sure who this is supposed to benefit either as most sites don't use it anyway and as long as you're buying from reputable sites, you shouldn't have a problem (or just use PayPal).

I DID have a card skimmed once alright but that was back in the day before chip and PIN when they would take the card off to be charged in restaurants. Wasn't a big deal though.. the bank rang me straight away when some unusual activity showed up and they refunded it all in a few days anyway.

I can't stand this bloody SEPA nonsense though. All my DD dates are fecked up since it came in and it's a pain in the ass with these new account numbers when you've been using the same ones since 1995. Again, questionable benefits - oh sure you can transfer money out of state easier, but that's why I have a credit card/PayPal! I don't need that crap on my regular Visa Debit/current account. Of course the best thing is that almost all the banks now charge you fees for making your life harder like this.

Thankfully though I read recently that passwords should be phased out in the next 5 years anyway and replaced with biometrics so I can't wait for that. Far more secure too - unless you're that poor warden in Demolition Man! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Why do people get so pissed off at this one password ?

Everyone seems to have trouble with it

A couple reasons, IMHO

First, you are redirected to an unrelated site. So I'm on www.SiteITrust.com and I go to pay, then I end up on a totally different page. How do I know it's not a scam site I've been redirected to, verse a legit Visa site?

Well, if I'm like most people - I don't.

The official site says:
    As part of the payment verification process, you will see a personal message that you provided when you signed up for Verified by Visa. Only you and your bank know what the message is so you can be confident you are in a genuine Verified by Visa process.

Well - that sounds good, in theory. But I just ordered something on line last week and I honestly didn't know I had a secret message that was displayed. And, given the number of people who are just plain clueless, they'll just go and try to 'reset' the password.

All you need to do is setup a site that looks like the real verified by visa. People know, 'Oh yeah, sometimes I have to do this b.s.' - whatever password they put in, you say is no good, and you provide a reset link. Ask them questions, accept any answer, say they've logged in, then give a b.s. technical reason why they need to re-enter their card information. Bam - you're scam site just got you a valid credit card and billing details. Redirect them to a generic 'Order complete' page, or a generic 'Error, please contact company' message. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Second - my biggest problem is that, a lot of times, using the Verified By Visa makes you MORE at risk. With my credit card, if someone charges something, I just go to my bank and say, 'I didn't charge that!' - and they give me back the money, give me a new card, and probably investigate a little. The bank doesn't really care, because they just go back to the merchant and say, 'That was fraud, give us the money back' (essentially). With the Verified By Visa, it's a lot harder. The merchant doesn't get the charge back (which they like) but SOMEONE is going to be left without money. The bank doesn't want that to be them. So, it becomes you. They'll say, 'Well, SOMEONE knew your password, AND your credit card information! It must have been you!'

For example:
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/PUBLICATIONS/technical_notes/disputed-transactions.htm
    Our usual approach to this type of complaint is to obtain a range of information from the consumer and the financial business - including, for example, information about:
    how the transaction was "verified" by the system (for example, by inputting a "PIN" - a personal identification number);

In theory, the extra password makes things more secure. In practice though, if your home PC is compromised, I can get every single thing do you on your PC. Everything you type. Everything you copy and paste. Every password you enter. In that situation, adding more passwords doesn't make stealing your stuff any harder for me; but it makes it harder for you. Because the bank is going to push back and say, 'I dunno - it looks like you did it'. Maybe it depends on your bank, and maybe people have had better experiences; my sister had this happen and the bank told her it was her problem. They gave her a new card with a new number.....but did not refund the charge she didn't make, because of the password thing.

Finally, it's just annoying. I've already logged in, shopped, entered my info, AND THEN, now I have to do this other thing. It's another part of an already complex system that can break or be down or have connectivity issues or a glitch. I've had times when I just gave up because I couldn't get the damn thing to work.

It's more work for me, so that the merchants can be better protected and I can get screwed more easily. What's not to love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

To clarify - okay - it's a little harder than just setting up a scam site. You also need to compromise a legit site people shop at, or the machine they are using to get them to the scam site. Or you can send them a fake e-mail that sends them to a fake version of a legit site, that will redirect to your scam site.

I know it sounds a bit far fetched, but people do these things all the time.

Advertisement