Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking alone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought drinking alone at home was weird. :confused:

I know lots that think that, say, drinking a full bottle of whisky in a few hours at home alone is worrisome, I'd be one of them. I have a friend who after a heavy night, will drink alone in his room the next day, away from his housemates. Whatever is to hand too, not just beer. He necked half a bottle of gin one morning. So that kind of thing is concerning.

But not a glass of wine or a couple of beers or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Tarzana wrote: »
    I know lots that think that, say, drinking a full bottle of whisky in a few hours at home alone is worrisome, I'd be one of them. I have a friend who after a heavy night, will drink alone in his room the next day, away from his housemates. Whatever is to hand too, not just beer. He necked half a bottle of gin one morning. So that kind of thing is concerning.

But not a glass of wine or a couple of beers or whatever.

You should be concerned that's the way I was at the height of it,even waking up in the middle of the night to reach for a bottle to keep the withdrawals at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Right you've convinced me drinking alone is fine, I'm off to open the wine so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I love having what I call 'me-time' beers on my own. Wife heads heads to bed, I stay up a little while listening to songs on YouTube etc. Have a problem tho in that I always want another one and don't stop wanting another till I'm locked. Only happens once a week mind u but I think the way I do it is problematic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Sometimes I grab a few beers, put my favourite music on shuffle and just relax.
    It's a great way to unwind when you are not in the mood for a night out or a house party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Nothing wrong with it. In moderation of course...not the drink....but I equally enjoy being out with friends and drinking alone as long as there is sport on tv.

Just like what im doing right now...ive been out since the tennis final at 2pm...then watched kilkenny v offaly and argentina v ireland.
    But im waiting for the stanley cup final at midnight so there is an awkward space where the tv is off and i dont know what to do with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Friend of mine just texted me and asked me to come up for a few drinks, said I was already drinking at home and was staying in for the night, texted back and told me I sounded like an alcoholic drinking on my own! Seriously can't a girl just chill without judgement!

beano345 wrote: »
    You should be concerned that's the way I was at the height of it,even waking up in the middle of the night to reach for a bottle to keep the withdrawals at bay.

I know. Thing is, he's a friend of mine but not a really close friend. He and my BF are very good friends, but my BF doesn't seem to be as concerned as me, so I don't really feel like there's much I can do. He's a big boy, and there's probably a lot of denial going on there too. I'm sure his family must be a bit concerned. He moved abroad recently. Before he moved, he lived at home for a few weeks between leaving his job and moving away. The day he moved his stuff down to his folks, his friend drove him during the afternoon. They had been out the night before, and he drank the whole way down home (a 2.5 hour trip approx) and arrived at home fluthered. That ain't right. :( He's great too, such a sound guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I know. Thing is, he's a friend of mine but not a really close friend. He and my BF are very good friends, but my BF doesn't seem to be as concerned as me, so I don't really feel like there's much I can do. He's a big boy, and there's probably a lot of denial going on there too. I'm sure his family must be a bit concerned. He moved abroad recently. Before he moved, he lived at home for a few weeks between leaving his job and moving away. The day he moved his stuff down to his folks, his friend drove him during the afternoon. They had been out the night before, and he drank the whole way down home (a 2.5 hour trip approx) and arrived at home fluthered. That ain't right. :( He's great too, such a sound guy.

Not saying it will happen but he'll probably get worse abroad he has no restrictions ie: family watching over him,he's in party mode when he's over there,homesickness,loneliness etc it really is a slippery slope sometimes you don't see it until your too far down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've been told by many people that I might be alcoholic due to enjoying a beer a day after college/whatever.

They can **** right off, the amount I drink is not even remotely unhealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'd enjoy a few drinks at home by myself when I can't afford to go out. I don't see the harm in it. I'd absolutely love to be out with friends, but when that can't happen a few drinks and a movie or two does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It was while drinking alone i mostly got depressed so much so as I gave up. people call me sir now! and dont follow it up with "you're making a scene."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

This thread is making me want to have a drink, and ne'er a drop in the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I find it difficult to drink alone. In a pub, it's slightly easier but alone in the house, no. Every time I've done it, I've gotten very depressed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It's like a teenage girl mindset. "OMG you were in the shopping centre on your own? You weirdo!" Meh. Drink ten bottles of whiskey in your own house on your own if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought drinking alone at home was weird. :confused:

Well, it's one of the questions they ask you when they're diagnosing whether or not you're an alcoholic.

I drink alone and I will continue to do so until I die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Well, it's one of the questions they ask you when they're diagnosing whether or not you're an alcoholic.

Well? What was your diagnoses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    What was your diagnoses?

Blocked sinuses. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

So you're going to keep drinking alone until you're dead?

I'm drinking a few Captain Morgans and coke and half watching a film on rte 1 on silent and making up my own plot as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I'm on my own and I'm having a few drinks whilst watching TV shows. I enjoy it and don't see anything odd about it, a lot of people do it. So long as you aren't getting completely steaming I don't see a problem with it...although occasionally I have become so engrossed in a TV show that I don't notice the bottle is nearly empty :pac:

• Advertisement

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I'm on my own and I'm having a few drinks whilst watching TV shows. I enjoy it and don't see anything odd about it, a lot of people do it. So long as you aren't getting completely steaming I don't see a problem with it...although occasionally I have become so engrossed in a TV show that I don't notice the bottle is nearly empty :pac:

Do you start shouting at the telly or us that just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    But like I said I have noticed that a lot of people would consider drinking alone to be sad and possibly the sign of a larger issue. So AH, what's your opinion?

Have a beer yourself = problems!!

Have 6-8 pints in a single binge - socially appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I like having a couple of drinks at home on my own - never did before the smoking ban but it thought me that it was ok - ironically I haven't smoked in years either - but once that taboo was broken ;) In fairness - any beers left in the fridge by Sunday (unless there's a BBQ) will stay in the fridge until the following Friday. I haven't resorted to hiding drink around the house quite yet.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I would hate to live in a world where you felt you had to be with someone else to have a drink or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Do you start shouting at the telly or us that just me?

Sometimes, like they can hear me anyway :D

It's like a teenage girl mindset. "OMG you were in the shopping centre on your own? You weirdo!" Meh. Drink ten bottles of whiskey in your own house on your own if you want to.

No, sorry, drinking huge amounts alone is dipso behaviour.

Never saw why people look so down on people having a few on their own. Nothing I enjoy more than having a quiet beer free of all the nonsense you generally get when with other people. Was in the mood for a beer earlier on this afternoon and decided to have two bottles in the house while watching an episode of Auf Wiedersen Pet. There's nothing better

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Sometimes, like they can hear me anyway :D

That's when when you need to show them who's boss and throw the bottle at the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I used to love going to the pub on my day off with a book have a few beers and a bite to eat absolute bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

No, sorry, drinking huge amounts alone is dipso behaviour.

No need to apologise. Drinking huge amounts around others is ok on your "dipso" rating? Not sure how it works.

Advertisement