Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2014 LC French - all levels - discussion, predictions, practice your French **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

For the listening, as linguist said, it can really be anything. I'd say if you just practice the past papers over and over you should be fine; that in addition to your general knowledge of French should cover you quite well. Try this site too, it helps you to get the link in your head between what you're hearing and how it's written, which can be tricky enough in French!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

@lovelamps: Right, but remember that reading comprehension is really a 50/50 balance between comprehending the text and simply knowing what the question is asking. In fact, the only questions that really test your broad comprehension of the passage are the multiple choice and Q6 which is answered in English.

For the rest, you are playing a game which involves matching the words in the question to the words in the text and knowing whether you've to lift them straight out or do a bit of manipulation. Remember that if you fail to manipulate where you should or vice versa and make no other mistake in your answer, the maximum penalty is -1. So it's really practice at what I often compare to a crossword puzzle. The questions are clues and once you get inside the examiner's head you can work them out quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

For the last questions of the comprehensions, are you better off writing something like "this can be seen clearly in the text when Jean Claude says 'insert french here' " or should you write "this can be seen clearly in the text". Then put the quote in below. Or does it not really matter at all.

@Aspiring: A really important question and I wish everyone would read and accept the next sentence. Your mark depends on whether what you say in English is backed up by the text! It's as simple as that. Many candidates, for self-reassurance, choose to quote in support. That's fine. Again, it's a good strategy to say, "Yes, as we see in paragraph 2...", but none of those actually count. In fact, if you make a case in English and your quote is wrong, it can go against you because you are showing dodgy comprehension!

linguist wrote: »
    @Aspiring: A really important question and I wish everyone would read and accept the next sentence. Your mark depends on whether what you say in English is backed up by the text! It's as simple as that. Many candidates, for self-reassurance, choose to quote in support. That's fine. Again, it's a good strategy to say, "Yes, as we see in paragraph 2...", but none of those actually count. In fact, if you make a case in English and your quote is wrong, it can go against you because you are showing dodgy comprehension!

So taking last year as an example, they said "Hitchhaking is a good method of travel for young people today Do you agree?"

Would a suitable answer be something like this:
    I would agree with this statement, I think that hitchhiking is definitely a good method of travel. One key reason why hitchhiking is a good method of travel is that trains are often over crowded or full, and often cost too much.
    "tous les trains étaient pleins ou coûtaient une fortune"

• Advertisement

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

So quote not necessary? Good to hear

Yes.

Thanks!. Took your advice and am currently doing a bit on same sex marriage and everything surrounding that, any other good things to look over? Have been focusing on racism, inequality, and alcohol/drugs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Any structural tips for the diary? Normally they ask for a response after an event, but do you retell the event first and then give an emotional response or the other way around?

Initial emotional response, say what happened, how do you feel, off to bed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 AKMCD2014

I'm not quite certain on how to approach the "story" question at sometimes appears on Q1. Does anybody have any knowledge or tips on how to tackle the question?

As I've been saying here for a few days, don't do it:) If you're looking for an A or the B that's about your quickest way to kiss it goodbye based on recent years. The same if you do the letter instead of the journal intime. Do the journal intime. Stick to opinion writing which is what most people are good at.

May I ask, wishing wishing to take you all off topic, what kind of personal effort you've put into your French? Many of you are most impressive and you need to remind yourselves of that tonight. Have you been to France or Eurolanguages College etc or what have you done, over and above classwork and homework, to get yourselves to this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Ive done nothing, our teacher brought us to a couple interactive french plays but thats it.
    To be honest i know its a bit diff with languages but i dont think you should have to do extra curricular things to do well in a subject!

We would all wish that the world was entirely fair, however obviously people who have been to France a lot and used that time wisely will be at an advantage. There are things you can do that don't cost a lot financially - you can listen to French radio online very easily for example.

Let me turn your point on its head: isn't it obvious that people who are really into science and maybe want to do medicine will often put huge amounts of time into those subjects? And yet, because most people have to do a language, there can often be a resentment and a reluctance to go and actually invest in it. But look, my question, if you read it again, was actually meant as a word of praise and not a criticism. Doesn't the fact that you're here trying to get the best outcome tomorrow mean this matters to you?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TreacyHolmes95

Would anybody be able to please send me a sample essay on sport/something to do with the World Cup please?? Have a feeling it might come up tomorrow! I have essays on violence, pollution, smoking, drugs, environment, racism, dopage, pressure of exams for students and the future if anyone is willing to swap a good standard (B or A) essay with me? Mine are good standard I always score high (25+ out of 30) in them. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

does anyone know od an internet site that will let you listen to past aural tracks...i've tried sec but they dont seem to be on there..

They are on the SEC site. Otherwise, your exam papers CD.

Essays are great for vocab - vital even but just remember everyone that if you don't answer the actual question you're asked tomorrow, you will pay for it. Sadly, you're just not going to see: le racisme - donnez vos réactions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Hate to be admitting this, but am I the only one going in tomorrow without an essay prepared? I've always had a few generic sentences to whip out in any situation and then just get by on my own understanding of la langue francais.

• Advertisement

@The Begotten: No, if you are good enough and have had lots of practice, you should be fine.

This is the paradox. Going back to the previous poster, everyone does essays. It's absolutely normal. Like a lot of teachers, what I do is teach the vocabulary, do an essay and then follow up with opinion questions which require the vocabulary covered in the essay to be adjusted to the question asked. As another poster said earlier, vocabulary is key. And so it is. How are you supposed to discuss a topic if you don't have the vocab necessary?

But now, let's imagine a hypothetical opinion question. There is a photograph of people of different skin colours and maybe also a picture of a travellers' halting site. Then a little stimulus material on racism.

And now the question: Le racisme peut concerner toutes les minorités. Etes-vous d'accord?

Now if you launch into your prepared racism question but fail to deal with the issue of racism towards indigenous groups such as travellers, you can expect problems. That's what everyone needs to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rachael111

Has anyone and idea at all on what essay titles I should focus on for higher level French tomorrow ? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Merged

There's also been some discussion in the general Predictions thread I think, Rachael.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rachael111

Merged

There's also been some discussion in the general Predictions thread I think, Rachael.

I know I saw them the other day but cannot find where about they are :/

Can anybody at all help me with what to look over for higher level French essay totes tomorrow :( really stuck !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

... Please be aware that the websites you find may not be neutral.

May not? Almost certainly won't be if they're French! biggrin.png

C'est dommage que ce sujet ne soit apparu qu'il y a quelques jours parce qu'il ne reste que très peu de temps pour donner des conseils, fournir des liens utiles, apporter du vocabulaire ...
    oncex wrote: »
    Oui, je suis en train de redoubler mon Bac ...
    ray2012 wrote: »
    J'ai fait le Bac l'année dernière ...
    LoveLamps wrote: »
    ... Apres le bac, j'espere ...
    ... Il faut que j'obtienne au moins qu'un A2 pour atteindre mon but dans le bac. ...

J'avoue être étonné de voir quatre personnes qui emploient le mot "bac" dans leurs messages. C'est quelque chose que vous êtes appris par les profs? Si vous parlez de l'examen irlandais, il faut l'appeller le Leaving Certificate - comme les Français. :cool: Le Bac n'a rien à voir avec cet examen - c'est comme si on dirait en anglais que vous faites vos A-Levels.

De plus, obtenir un A2 dans le vrai Bac français - dur, dur ... :eek: (mon fils, scolarisé en France pendant 8 ans, n'a eu que 10/20 en français, mais 17/20 en allemande)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 imnewhere.

Has anyone any idea what topics might come up in the written questions? (Higher Level)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Rachael111 wrote: »
    Can anybody at all help me with what to look over for higher level French essay totes tomorrow :( really stuck !

Phrases you can stick anything, maybe some idioms. It's probably too late for learning lots of vocab.

« Ils ont la tête enfoncée dans le sable »

« Cette photo me rend triste de la voir »

« Il est temps qu'on fasse tuer le gouvernement »

« Je suis forcément de cet avis »

etc

Celtic Rambler: Je peux vous dire catégoriquement que le mot Bac est parfaitement admissible. Si vous consultiez les sujets du LC de ces dernieres années, vous verriez (si je ne me trompe pas) ce mot déja employé notamment dans la Q2(a) journal intime. Il s'agit d'utiliser un terme qui faciliterait la transmission du message souhaité dans un échange entre un jeune francais et un jeune irlandais (dont on souhaiterait que le jeune francais n'adopte pas un ton si hautain et surnois!). Il s'agit aussi, bien entendu, d'éviter le recours a l'anglais.

Puisque vous n'avez vraisemblablement aucune relation avec les candidats au LC, ni leurs profs, ni le jury d'examen, je me demande pourquoi cette intervention si inutile et négative. Je suis bien content que le systeme scolaire francais ait répondu si bien a vos attentes - malgré ses défauts (études PISA etc). Vous pourriez au moins réserver votre critique du notre jusqu'au moment ou ces jeunes candidats aient défendu leurs six années de préparation demain matin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 leavingcerta

Hey does anyone have notes of racism which they could send me please? I'd really really appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

So far what I've heard people *predict* is something on the World Cup (could be anything from drugs use to bringing people together...) , Nelson Mandela/Racism , the smoking ban, feminism and the environment. But those are all fairly broad topics so... Idk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement