Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternatives to php

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

I don't know of many large web apps running PHP but I know that a large percentage of websites are running WordPress, Joomla! and Drupal, all PHP based. I am surprised that a large web apps would be built Java considering the processing overhead of the virtual machine. This website is based on phpBB right? Its pretty big at this stage.

I think Boards moved away from that BB framework when it got above a certain size. JavaEE has addressed a number of problems around scalability that other platforms haven't. Doesn't matter so much if the JVM has an significant overhead if you can keep throwing hardware at it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I am surprised that a large web apps would be built Java considering the processing overhead of the virtual machine.

You are comparing the JVM as slower to a weakly typed interpreted language (PHP)?

Step away from the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

I don't know of many large web apps running PHP
    Does a site with about 500M webpages qualify? PHP is only one aspect of large websites. It is rarely the only part of the site. Most people without any experience of large websites only see a programming language or two instead of the architecture of the site and how a lot of aspects (frontend, scripting, databases, administration etc) have to work together.
    but I know that a large percentage of websites are running WordPress, Joomla! and Drupal, all PHP based.
    Not exactly large websites or web apps. Most of them have tiny backend databases.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

A couple of options not mentioned....
    Groovy... with Grails. Though I nearly see this as an extension to Java.
    Scala .. with the play network. Technically it's probably also in the Java world but I think most would agree it is something new.

But for me one of the most interesting - though not so popular and probably won't help the CV - is Pharo + Seaside.
    Smalltalk was the language I learned Object Orientation with so I have a soft spot for it. But actually combined with Seaside this offers a unique approach, IMO, to web development. Instead of writing code that runs ON a webserver, your web application is effectively extending the smalltalk based Seaside webserver! It is a unique approach that I don't think I've been anywhere else.

Advertisement