Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Cycling Championships 2014

Options
  • 05-06-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

ENTRY IS NOW OPEN FOR NATIONAL CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIPS:
    Lakeside Wheelers Mullingar are hosting the National Cycling Championships for 2014 and Entry is now open on their web site lakesidewheelers.ie and on the Cycling Ireland web site.
    The TT is on Thursday 26th June in Rochfortbridge Co. Westmeath while the Road Race for Vets and Ladies is on Saturday 28th June in Multyfarnham Co. Westmeath. On Sunday 29th June the Elite Men will do 9 laps of a testing rolling 19K circuit which starts and finishes in the picturesque village of Multyfarnham.

Any suggestions who this years winner will be ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Any suggestions who this years winner will be ??
    Well, in the absence of a flood of responses, might I suggest that we whittle it down through a process of elimination.

I'll start the ball rolling.

It won't be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Matt Brammeier, we don't have selective courses here and he's very strong and has prospered on an annual basis, maybe Sam Bennett can buck the trend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Inquitus wrote: »
    Matt Brammeier, we don't have selective courses here and he's very strong and has prospered on an annual basis, maybe Sam Bennett can buck the trend?

Doubt he will be anywhere near this if going to the TdF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Hey Guys,

Trying to get a feel for what the Vets race on the Saturday will be like. I presume the standard is high but I was wondering is the field usually just a small one with top vet riders or does it tend to be fairly large with a range of abilities ?

Trying to get a feel for how it would compare to a typical junior infested A3 race ?

Don't suppose there is a list anywhere of those registered ?

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No Roche again this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

It won't be me.

I wasn't gonna do this but got roped into it by some mates. Training hasn't gone to plan. My one question is, would I be ok to do it on a hybrid (it has skinny tyres!!) or should I get a road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hey Guys,

Trying to get a feel for what the Vets race on the Saturday will be like. I presume the standard is high but I was wondering is the field usually just a small one with top vet riders or does it tend to be fairly large with a range of abilities ?

Trying to get a feel for how it would compare to a typical junior infested A3 race ?

Don't suppose there is a list anywhere of those registered ?

Paul.

I did Swords CC team support for the vet race last year. The race had a good sized field with varying levels of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I wasn't gonna do this but got roped into it by some mates. Training hasn't gone to plan. My one question is, would I be ok to do it on a hybrid (it has skinny tyres!!) or should I get a road bike?

I'm sure that you would be ok but you wouldn't be within an asses roar of the rest of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Trying to get a feel for what the Vets race on the Saturday will be like.

As Raam says, there will be a decent spread of abilities. A selection is usually made early enough, generally involving some top A1s. It's not that hard to ride around in the bunch once they're gone.

I will be making an eejit of myself trying to get involved in the attacks but will inevitably revert to my natural state as pack fodder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Can any one enter this? I just assumed you'd need to show that you are capable of competing ie A1 standard minimum or something?

Trying to get the wife down to athlone for the weekend and me cycle down via the Championships to watch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dan Martin said he was entering. First race since crash. Testing his form for a possible TdF selection (he says himself unlikely)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

As Raam says, there will be a decent spread of abilities. A selection is usually made early enough, generally involving some top A1s. It's not that hard to ride around in the bunch once they're gone.

I will be making an eejit of myself trying to get involved in the attacks but will inevitably revert to my natural state as pack fodder.

Pack fodder is where I'm at too, like the idea of riding the nationals though.

Any approximate idea of how big the field was last year in the vets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Around 100, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Hybrids are hugely underrated. And maybe you're underrated too ... by yourself! Self-belief is an essential prerequisite for success!!

Also, the persistent groupthink that pervades the world of competitive cycling ensures that the myriad advantages of hybrids remain poorly understood, if at all. Just two examples:

1) The more upright riding position gives you a clear view of the situation up ahead, regardless of where you are in the bunch. So you get to make those key strategic decisions BEFORE your rivals. Racers-0, Hybrid-1!
    2) The flat bars lend themselves more naturally to an "elbows out" riding style, which can prove decisive during the jostling and argy-bargy that characterise the closing stages of many races. Racers-0, Hybrid-2!!
    There are many, many more advantages, far too numerous to detail here. But pretty soon you'll have discovered them for yourself.

Do please report back.

I must be mad. I've just signed up for the TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

What :eek: Hope you win :D
    IS there no selective process ?? ( Pity Nico isn't riding TT as you could test yourself against the Riis training methods)

Brain Smith didn't sound too hopeful that Sam Bennett would be riding the Tour when asked on Eurosport yesterday, as part of his commentary...Kinda said it would be hard for him as team designed around Koneig and he would have no trains and it was a pity cos he has good results this year...Didn't say no outright but didn't sound very hopeful

MPFG wrote: »
    What :eek: Hope you win :D
    IS there no selective process ?? ( Pity Nico isn't riding TT as you could test yourself against the Riis training methods)

Brain Smith didn't sound too hopeful that Sam Bennett would be riding the Tour when asked on Eurosport yesterday, as part of his commentary...Kinda said it would be hard for him as team designed around Koneig and he would have no trains and it was a pity cos he has good results this year...Didn't say no outright but didn't sound very hopeful

It's very selective. That's how I got in! There is no chance of me doing anything but I'm just doing it to help build form and maybe be a top a4 ranked tt rider!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

MPFG wrote: »

Think I saw a quote from Sam himself a few weeks ago saying that they were more likely to pick people who could complete it rather than kill him. So not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

It's very selective. That's how I got in! There is no chance of me doing anything but I'm just doing it to help build form and maybe be a top a4 ranked tt rider!

Unfortunately I don't think an A4 can win a national championship. Best of luck in the race tho. Top A4 would be a great result.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Fair play. I was going to do it myself until I realised it was on a work night. I'll deffo do it next year.

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think an A4 can win a national championship. Best of luck in the race tho. Top A4 would be a great result.

I know that and it never entered my mind that I would!

I know that and it never entered my mind that I would!

I believe in you.

I believe in you.

You shouldn't. I will disappoint you. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

You shouldn't. I will disappoint you. Again.

I believe in you too

Lusk_Doyle for top A4 !!!

I also believe in Santa clause and the tooth fairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I also believe in Santa clause and the tooth fairy.

Are they entering?

Are they entering?

Nah. Too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

Just wondering do we know if any of the top elites will be taking part in the time trial on Thursday? I think Nico Roche ruled himself out, Philip Deignan was unsure and havent heard Dan Martin intentions. Would be nice to see these guys racing up close. Dont think I'll be able to make it to the race on Sunday.

Thanks

There is another thread here about them and lists who is in/out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Hybrids are hugely underrated. And maybe you're underrated too ... by yourself! Self-belief is an essential prerequisite for success!!

Also, the persistent groupthink that pervades the world of competitive cycling ensures that the myriad advantages of hybrids remain poorly understood, if at all. Just two examples:

1) The more upright riding position gives you a clear view of the situation up ahead, regardless of where you are in the bunch. So you get to make those key strategic decisions BEFORE your rivals. Racers-0, Hybrid-1!
    2) The flat bars lend themselves more naturally to an "elbows out" riding style, which can prove decisive during the jostling and argy-bargy that characterise the closing stages of many races. Racers-0, Hybrid-2!!
    There are many, many more advantages, far too numerous to detail here. But pretty soon you'll have discovered them for yourself.

Do please report back.

3) Save LOTS of time toing and froing to the team car by sticking a few bottles and sandwiches on a carrier on the back. Racers-0, Hybrid-3!!!
    4) Flat bars mean a nice, loud bell is much easier to reach. Alert slower moving riders (probably dropping back for yet another bottle) of your presence by giving a little ring. Racers-0, Hybrid-4!!!!
    5) A comfier saddle = less saddle sores = less requirements for TUEs for topical steroids. Racers-0, Hybrid-5!!!!!

We're only scraping the surface here. My God, we're going to change the world. Pete, when you win on Sunday on your hybrid, racing bikes are toast.

Advertisement