Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure films discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This one from Thailand; it's a "western" complete with a few musical numbers and delivered in a kitschy technicolor style of cinematography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_of_the_Black_Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Together", about the hippie communes in 1970's Sweden.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD7Wv1q-S18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

biko wrote: »
    "Together", about the hippie communes in 1970's Sweden.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD7Wv1q-S18

The trailer reminded me of Lars von's The Idiots

I always think it's hard to find a truly obscure film that other people actually want to watch, most films are obscure for a reason. They simply aren't any good, there are literally thousands of cheap and not so cheap films that few people would ever want to watch.

One great little gem that few people seem to have heard of, let alone seen is Nackt unter Wölfen or to give it it's English title, Naked Among Wolves. Set in a concentration camp it;s the story of Polish prisoners in Buchenwald who hide a four year old boy from their Nazi captors. It's an incredibly powerful film and was the first film about the Holocaust to be made in Germany after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

• Advertisement

A Touch Of Zen, Taiwan 1971

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Touch_of_Zen

This is amazing. Long before Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the many other films that use wire for incredible fight scenes. It's over 3 hours long, nothing happens action wise for about 45 minutes, but when it does, woah. Apart from the greatly choreographed fight scenes, it's just a great movie.
    touch-of-zen-1.jpg?w=750

I don't know if Harold And Maude is "obscure", but it's one of my favourite movies of all time.

stock_movie_stills_harold_and_maude_xl.jpg

If you haven't seen it, just watch it. Fill your heart with gladness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I don't know if Harold And Maude is "obscure", but it's one of my favourite movies of all time.

stock_movie_stills_harold_and_maude_xl.jpg

If you haven't seen it, just watch it. Fill your heart with gladness.
    It's playing in the IFI for free this coming Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Dead Ringers is incredible. Basically Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynaecologists who slowly go mad. Kind of the anti-Frasier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

goose2005 wrote: »
    Dead Ringers is incredible. Basically Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynaecologists who slowly go mad. Kind of the anti-Frasier.

A great film but is it obscure, I always thought it to be one of Cronenberg's more accessible ones...

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    It's playing in the IFI for free this coming Saturday too.

Ah cool. I actually saw it in the IFI a few years ago, they put on a one off showing of it. I won't make it to this one, I'll be working, but it's a rare chance to see this cult classic on the big screen if any of you haven't seen it, or just want to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Worztron

Bad Boy Bubby is one of my favourite movies that i discovered in the last few years. I think i got the recommendation from someone in here.

It's a darkly comic tale of 'mothering' that has gone too far.

It starts off very, very grim but develops into a very nice story by the end of it. Nicholas Hope excellently plays the lead role as Bubby in a great performance. He looks a bit like Nick Cave after getting a massive electric shock.

From wiki in relation to the unique audio and visual aspects of it:

I stopped watching after the appalling animal cruelty at the start. The poor cat is abused - locked in a cage and poked with a stick, tied to a chair and roared at, wrapped tightly in plastic and clearly very distressed. :mad:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Worztron wrote: »
    I stopped watching after the appalling animal cruelty at the start. The poor cat is abused - locked in a cage and poked with a stick, tied to a chair and roared at, wrapped tightly in plastic and clearly very distressed. :mad:

Best keep off the Tarr, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Vi är bäst! / We Are the Best!

not sure if it's obscure... it's emm... Swedish, so...

I loved it. Funny and charming with fantastic performances.

shazzerman wrote: »

What are you on about?

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boy_Bubby#Release

"In the UK, it was cut for cruelty to a cat."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

What are you on about?

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boy_Bubby#Release

"In the UK, it was cut for cruelty to a cat."

'The cat scenes were carefully filmed, with a veterinarian and animal cruelty inspector on set. Nicholas Hope, in an on-stage interview included on the dvd of the film, says there were two cats, one of which became a pet of a crew member.'

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/bad-boy-bubby/notes/

Are you going to boycott every film that portrays violence to humans as well or is it just cats you are rooting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

District 13

French thriller with cool parkour stunts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

badger57 wrote: »
    District 13

French thriller with cool parkour stunts

which was remade with Paul Walker in it
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430612/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Are you going to boycott every film that portrays violence to humans as well or is it just cats you are rooting for?

In fairness there's a bit of a difference between an actor acting out a violent scene and an animal being abused for a film. I haven't seen Bad Boy Bubby so I can't comment on that particular scene but I don't agree with animals being hurt or killed for art.

'The cat scenes were carefully filmed, with a veterinarian and animal cruelty inspector on set. Nicholas Hope, in an on-stage interview included on the dvd of the film, says there were two cats, one of which became a pet of a crew member.'

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/bad-boy-bubby/notes/

Carefully filmed? Those cats were very distressed - it was bad enough to abuse one but why another? The vet and the animal cruelty inspector (do you mean anti animal cruelty inspector or maybe the former title suits the person better) should be ashamed of themselves.

Like Decuc500 said, the violence to humans is acting.

• Advertisement

Wrinkles aka Arrugas (2011)

"An astonishing cocktail of friendship, resistance and life set among the unexpected landscape of an elderly care facility."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

The Battery.

Two baseball players traverse New England during the zombie apocalypse.

Wait! Come back! It's actually very good! The movie has very little in the way of zombies, and is mostly petty bickering about headphones and not washing. Most of the film is just the two guys screwing around or bitching. The zombie aspect is mostly a backdrop to explore the two characters. I found it really engaging, although the acting wasn't the greatest in the world, and the cinematography is great. The ending is tense
    despite it being a single twelve minute shot of the inside of a car

There's talks of a pseudo sequel, which I would also watch. Clearly, the three guys in the company care about what they're doing. Recommended to people who don't necessarily like zombie flicks, but do like the human element of films. 8 / 10.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    In fairness there's a bit of a difference between an actor acting out a violent scene and an animal being abused for a film. I haven't seen Bad Boy Bubby so I can't comment on that particular scene but I don't agree with animals being hurt or killed for art.
    Read my post. 'Portrayal.'

For fcuks sakes. Just like assholes, everyone has a fcuking opinion, even on something they haven't seen which in my 'opinion' is pathetic. Get off your soapbox.

There were no cats abused in the movie, as stated in the website I referenced. Where did i say i agree with animals being hurt of killed for art? Have you a problem reading plain english?

Get off your high horse. :rolleyes:

Carefully filmed? Those cats were very distressed - it was bad enough to abuse one but why another? The vet and the animal cruelty inspector (do you mean anti animal cruelty inspector or maybe the former title suits the person better) should be ashamed of themselves.

Like Decuc500 said, the violence to humans is acting.

I referenced a de facto site sponsored by the Australian government, not wikipedia which at the best of time is open to edit by simpletons. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seedy Arling, keep it civil please. No need for the aggression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

shazzerman wrote: »

Do you mean Bela Tarr ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Only obscure because it wasnt released in Ireland but i really loved "The Divide", it has its flaws but i love how it portrays the breakdown of groups in that scenario, also the deterioration of their bodies is done very well. Im definitely a fan of end of days, Apocalypse type movies but this brought something new for me. When i got my hands on it i expected a small budget movie but its shot well and has a couple of decent actors in it (Michael Biehn is great in it imo), very surprised it didnt get a general release here, doesnt score high on IMDB but its a favorite of mine.

PS a couple more sensitive friends found it a bit tough to watch :rolleyes:

Gonna post up some films I enjoyed Don't know if they're obscure.
    Man Bites Dog

The Hairdresser's Husband

Love the ending of this film, it's stayed with me about 20 years later. No spoilers, just the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Do you mean Bela Tarr ?

Yes, Satantango has a long scene that involves a cat. Bad Boy Bubby is very tame in comparison.

Advertisement