Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we going back to the laundries for single mothers?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TomoBhoy wrote: »
    You cannot get FIS with part time work !

Yes, you can.
    You need to work a minimum of 19hrs per week to qualify for FIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

banie01 wrote: »
    Yes, you can.
    You need to work a minimum of 19hrs per week to qualify for FIS.

I stand corrective they have changed the rules !

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What about Rent Allowance or Council housing and the other benefits you can claim? A couple living on minimum wage paying the Universal social charge as well as everything else deducted from that still has to find a minimum 600 euro a month in rent plus pay for food and utilities. I know someone doing very well on the money she has coming in as a single parent with 4 kids.

She can afford not to work, has a nice private house in a very good private neighbourhood, paid for with RA, can take holidays and run a car. Which is more than a lot of couples working for minimum wage with no children can do. The single biggest monthly outgoing for most people is their rent or mortgage. If someone else is paying your rent the rest of your income is your own, so I'm not buying the 'I have to pay rent' argument.

A single parent with 4 kids makes up a tiny part of the statistics, and even of that subset most will be separated or widowed.

The teenage pregnancy rate has also dramatically decreased to under 2% of births. That shows the message is getting across, being a single parent isn't as desirable or financially rewarding as some would make out!

There is a problem with generations of families on welfare, but social policy shouldn't be driven by extreme cases. The stats show most single parent families are headed by a mother in the 35-49 age group, have one child and are more likely not claiming any OPFA payment.

That shows the vast majority are willing to work, so policy should be aimed at getting more in employment. Childcare costs are a huge issue for working families, obviously more so for a single parent with only one income coming in and often no partner to share childcare.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TomoBhoy wrote: »
    I stand corrective they have changed the rules !

That's the way it has been for a good few years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭banie01

K-9 wrote: »

That shows the vast majority are willing to work, so policy should be aimed at getting more in employment. Childcare costs are a huge issue for working families, obviously more so for a single parent with only one income coming in and often no partner to share childcare.

If I could thank this twice I would!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

What about Rent Allowance or Council housing and the other benefits you can claim? A couple living on minimum wage paying the Universal social charge as well as everything else deducted from that still has to find a minimum 600 euro a month in rent plus pay for food and utilities. I know someone doing very well on the money she has coming in as a single parent with 4 kids.

She can afford not to work, has a nice private house in a very good private neighbourhood, paid for with RA, can take holidays and run a car. Which is more than a lot of couples working for minimum wage with no children can do. The single biggest monthly outgoing for most people is their rent or mortgage. If someone else is paying your rent the rest of your income is your own, so I'm not buying the 'I have to pay rent' argument.

If you know a single parent of 4 children who isn't working with OPFP and is having holidays and running a car, she is doing something other than claiming OPFP(ie working on the QT).
    That should be what you have issue with. not people in receipt of OPFP

Advertisement