Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we abolish BC & AD?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Should we abolish BC & AD?
    No.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

We've been using it so long now, what's the point of changing it, if it's bothering you then I think you're overthinking things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Muise... wrote: »
    Didn't bother reading it because the argument is moot - BCE and CE have been standard for at least 40 years.

Its there but its not actually THE standard, at least in the journals or publications I would read (and no I am not talking about Christian Science weekly!).

As a Republic I think we should run of a Year Zero like the French did, and also use Metric time :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Its there but its not actually THE standard, at least in the journals or publications I would read (and no I am not talking about Christian Science weekly!).

As a Republic I think we should run of a Year Zero like the French did, and also use Metric time :-D

I rather liked their poetic month and day names too. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's already redundant, replaced by "BCE": Before Common Era.

(It is annoying when the media describe something like 2,000,000 years " BC"...... like those 2k years matter a lot on a million year time scale.)
    this really irks me
    BCE is 50% longer than BC and CE is to easy too confuse with BCE

BC = Before Common-era

our culture is based on latin stuff, other cultures have their own dating systems, it's a non-issue

But if we are appeasing other cutures, how about getting rid of Sun-god day, moon-god day, Woden's day, Thor's day , Frigg's day, Saturn's day.

And Janus-month, Mars , Maia, Juno,
    Not to mention the "god" emperors Julius Caesar, Augustus
    Feb is a religious ritual so that has to go too

Also

Also JC was born about 6BC depending on who you believe. So it's nothing to do with him either

BTW you can't use carbon dates as 1950 is where that scale stops

The ONLY reason to changing BC to something like BCE would be if it was used to sort out the year Zero problem.

Like this does
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_year_numbering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

But if we are appeasing other cutures, how about getting rid of Sun-god day, moon-god day, Woden's day, Thor's day , Frigg's day, Saturn's day.

Because then every day would by Tuesday, and Tuesdays aren't particularly good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This is total nonsense. The only reason to change BC and AD to BCE and whatever the other one is, is that BC and AD are Christian in root: 2020BC = 2,020 years before Christ and AD20 = Anno Domini 2020, the Year of the Lord 2,020, or 2,020 years after the supposed birth of Christ.

If the proposal was to go to a totally new year system it would be sensible to use a different name, but just changing them so they don't sound Christian - ridiculous.

This is led by the universities, who have completely lost the run of themselves in trying to impose it on normal people who don't care or in many cases know of the BC/AD system's origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I never could get the hang of Thor's day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Secular drysh1tes won't stop until they have absolutely everything taken over. Kind of like angry feminists and 'pc gone mad' enthusiasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you let people redefine the institution of calenders, we'll all end up marrying our pets. Gay marrying them no less. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

People will be burning churches down next. Give religion a break please

Secular drysh1tes won't stop until they have absolutely everything taken over. Kind of like angry feminists and 'pc gone mad' enthusiasts

I don't think it's secularists - I'm very very very much in favour of what the French call laïcité - absolute separation of church and state; to my mind religion is a private matter, and shouldn't be dragged into any public service.

But my secularism doesn't stop me from seeing this as nonsense.

And yes, while we're at it, why don't we get rid of Saturn's Day and Thor's Day and Freya's Day (or in Irish, why don't we get rid of First Fast Day, Between-Fasts, and Fast Day)? Why don't we axe the daringly controversial Janus Month, Mars Month, etc? And the months with numbers - September, October, November - how confusing is that, to have the ninth, tenth and eleventh month called Seventh, Eighth and Ninth? Someone could get hurt!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps let us re-set society and remove all references. From Day1 to Day7, as per the Khmer Rouge ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Manach wrote: »
    Perhaps let us re-set society and remove all references. From Day1 to Day7, as per the Khmer Rouge ...

Sure the seven day weeks comes from the bible as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Something something the crusades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

We need some alternatives. My suggestions are fairly lame, but here we go:

1. Pubday
    2. Bobdislikesday or Blueday or Manicday
    3. Fatneworleansday
    4. Sheffieldday
    5. Lidloffersday
    6. Poetsday
    7. Nightsallrightforfightingday.

Or we could go like 18th-century Quakers and call the days First Day, Second Day and so on. It'd wreck popular music, though:

I don't like Second Day
    Gonna shoo-hoo-hoo-hoot the whole day down.

First Day Morning comin' down.

I got Sixth Day on my mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because then every day would by Tuesday, and Tuesdays aren't particularly good for me.

The English name is derived from Old English Tiwesdæg and Middle English Tewesday, meaning "Tīw's Day", the day of Tiw or Týr, the god of single combat, victory and heroic glory in Norse mythology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

We only use Unix time in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

You never see BC here. Just BCE - Before Common Era.
    Also, if you asked someone their Christian name, you'd get a blank look.
    It's "given name" and surname is "family name".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I use CE and BCE, I remember writing it before in school during a test and getting docked marks and given out to because "that's wrong and this is a Christian school!"

There was no point in arguing with a teacher so I was just like.. M'kay!

Hehe :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Did a history degree,used plenty of books that were decades old on ancient history. They stopped using AD and BC a long time ago. It's merely media taking ages to actually catch up with the standards rather than political correctness. The updated terms were far more logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TheGlass

Absolutely pointless.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Did a history degree,used plenty of books that were decades old on ancient history. They stopped using AD and BC a long time ago. It's merely media taking ages to actually catch up with the standards rather than political correctness. The updated terms were far more logical.

Academics. Batsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Whats the old saying, don't fix whats not broken?
    It's like if Coca Cola changed their name to 'Sweet Soda' because they didnt want people using the term "coke" because of the drug :pac: ... Point being why create confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Seems a bit odd on the part of the BBC. Surely this would require them to also rename Christmas and Easter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

c_man wrote: »
    We only use Unix time in my house.

Who fixes the broken pipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

CE and BCE have been around for a very long time. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

How you ye people find these old threads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Academic wrote: »
    CE and BCE have been around for a very long time. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

So has this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement