Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speaking two languages....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Speaking 2 languages really is no big deal. It is incredibly common.

My girlfriend is Polish and speaks (unsurprisingly) Polish and English fluently, is near fluent in German and can read/understand Russian and several other Slavic languages. Her sister studied linguistics in college and is fluent in four languages and near fluent in three others.

My parents next door neighbour is from the Gaeltacht and only speaks to his children in Irish. His wife is Austrian and speaks to them in German and they learn English in school. Trilingual at 5 and 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I really, really, really don't have any interest in learning to speak a second language. Seems like a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I was working in the south of Spain about 7 or 8 years ago getting a shop ready for opening and I was helping the owner with selecting the candidates as she had no Spanish. One of the girls who she was thinking of hiring was from Argentina and told me that she spoke Spanish and Argentinian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    .... A few days ago we went out and she kept saying it again, not realising that all five of us,including myself, can all speak a different language, Irish, Hindi, Lithuanian, Chinese......

Yeah Irish is a real important language to know !!

May as well learn Elvish or Klingon ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

That would do my head in, can you not just say it to her in a jokey way?

I met one of these asses recently that thinks it's downright shameful to only have one language. But a lot of us only have one language because that's all we need, and if you're in science you have to have english.

Can she not take a phone call in private as well. Just because people wont understand her, it's still rude to just sit there on the phone in the middle of everyone. I used to live with a south african girl and she was lovely but she always did this, like you'd be watching tv or cooking or whatever and you'd be forced to listen to someone shouting down the phone ughh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

the_monkey wrote: »

What an irrelevant outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

the_monkey wrote: »

Most languages aren't important to learn, especially considering our tendency to emigrate to English-speaking countries.:pac: Also it's possible that he was raised to speak it fluently rather than actively chose to 'learn' it. And given the choice I'd rather learn any fringe language rather than a fictional language like "Klingon".

I spent a short time in Korea (not long enough to learn the language) and I've continued to try and learn the language since I came home. I may never go back but I enjoy it, and that's the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

From OP:
    I recently started a new job. I work with a girl from South Africa. She is a great person, very good at her job, very advanced, one of the bosses favorite, and very helpful if I ever need any advice or guidance.

But she keeps making reference to the fact that she speaks two languages, English and Afrikaans....
    On balance, it seems that her good points outweigh the bad.

I'd regard her behaviour as a foible, and not give it too much thought. It is possible that Afrikaans is her first language, and she is covering herself in case her English is a bit flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I dislike Afrikaans, only because it always reminds me of the strict teachers I had in South Africa. The sound of it still gives me the chills, and not in a good way.

On a fun note, my dad was a factory manager out there and took to learning languages like Afrikaans and Zulu for the craic. His colleagues in the UK were very confused when the Irish boss started speaking to the South African cleaning lady in Zulu...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Solar Flare

The benefit of a second language when you speak English is primarily on a personal developmental level, for that reason it's not pointless learning obscure languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Next time say: "Yeah I used to work in a customer support centre, most people there spoke 2 or more languages. It was amazing..."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sauve wrote: »
    Bit like Irish?
    More like Ulster Scots.

From the PSNI http://www.psni.police.uk/ulster_scots.pdf
    The Polis Service o Norlin Airlan is aa sat for makkan Norlin Airlan saufer, wi
    progressive, professional polisin. We arettlet at makkan our services apen
    tae the haill commontie.
    Get Ahauld o Us
    Ye can get ahauld o the Polis Service wi the telephone, the email or in writin.
    Gin ye haena the Inglis, ye will be put owre tae an interpretar.
    A nott case is whaur serious injure is efter cumman aff, or gan on, an the
    suspects at or next the airt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I recently started a new job. I work with a girl from South Africa. She is a great person, very good at her job, very advanced, one of the bosses favorite, and very helpful if I ever need any advice or guidance.

But she keeps making reference to the fact that she speaks two languages, English and Afrikaans. Every single day its "Oh, but I speak two langagues" and "Oh,it's great being bi lingual". We meet a lot of different people in the job, and she tells absolutely everyone that she speaks two languages, as if she deserves a reward or something. Even on break time i'm almost certain that she rings her mother on purpose, in front of us all, and starts speaking Afrikaans.

I'm not sure if she is aware that everyone in my job, except maybe one or two, speak a different language aswell, but we very rarely point it out. A few days ago we went out and she kept saying it again, not realising that all five of us,including myself, can all speak a different language, Irish, Hindi, Lithuanian, Chinese......

The other day we were all telling each other jokes and when it came to her she was like, I have to translate from Afrikaans, so this may take a few minutes, even though her english is absolutely 100% perfect

I'm not sure what to do or say next time because I am slowly getting frustrated. Nobody ever uses a different language on the job. All we need is English in the job and nothing else is important.

Anyone got any similiar stories?

Wait till she's having a slash in the bog and throw in four black cat fireworks , then you'll find out her primary language and how good she is at screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Tell her you speak three languages. that'll make her feel inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This seems relevant: On being biligual

Wait till she's having a slash in the bog and throw in four black cat fireworks , then you'll find out her primary language and how good she is at screaming.

Like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

You can tell her knowing two or more languages will eventually be redundant: http://www.geek.com/microsoft/microsoft-emulates-star-trek-turns-skype-into-a-universal-translator-1595044/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

And ...

Who the Foook understands her ... except another bloody Boer ...

And, why do you think she is in Oireland ?
    It certainly is a lot more safer than SA for a start - despite the skangers.

Anyway ... is she Hawt ???
    Why not ask her (translated) in Afrikaans :-
    "Can I roide the Hole off ya ?"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

syklops wrote: »
    Trilingual at 5 and 6.

... And fooked up at 7 methinks...

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I grew up in South Africa from age 6, so did almost all my school there - and had to take both English and Afrikaans in school, since both were official languages at that time. It's not a big deal to learn a 2nd language in primary school, your brain is more open to it, but it gets a lot harder as you get older.

I don't speak Afrikaans any more, but it is a great language for swearing. Jou Ma is 'n Poes en jou Pa is 'n Pielkop, etc.. :eek:

Afrikaans can be sexy if it's spoken by the right person...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I had a similar problem once with a guy and I ended up just turning it into a joke. Everytime he mentioned it to anybody I'd butt in; "What!? Really, you never mentioned that! I can't believe I never knew"

Soon everyone was doing it and he quickly learned that we'd all heard it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

She irritates me and I haven't even met her. I could tell her to fcuk off in a couple of languages (would be far from fluent in most of them but you've got to learn the important survival stuff first :D) but I think I'd give her THE look instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

She sounds like a total bint. Of course she's the boss's favourite, she's probably got her tongue so far up his arse she could tickle his tonsils, of course she could be putting her tongue in other areas of his body:D I've always hated it when people deliberately speak in a different language in front of people who don't speak their language. It's extremely ignorant and is intended to be.

Learn Afrikaans for 'you are an ignorant pathetic attention seeking cnut, fcuk off and die':)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I can speak 2, English and German.

My mother speaks Swedish so she often talks to me i Svenska so I know a bit of that too.

Also French and Spanish from school.

I also done a course on Chinese :)

ik ben een pinda ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Tell her she's a Kutwijf OP, Dutch but should be mutually intelligible if she's Afrikaans. :pac:

Crude language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

*Afrikaans
    "shut the fúck up": Hou jou fokken bek.

Are you sure that's not Ulster Scots ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

mfceiling wrote: »
    Or find out from google translate what the Afrikkan is for "shut the fúck up"...
    Hou jou kop (read: How Yo! Cop)

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not Ulster Scots ?;)

Lol! Very! :D

Advertisement