Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The heritage golf digest event

Options
  • 31-05-2014 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Played in my first Golf digest event in the Heritage yesterday, I really enjoyed the day and it was so well organised.

Well worth the money in my view, wish I'd play better thoughbut a great day.:)

The rough was heavy due to a proAm this monday. Any tips for getting out of that long gorse appreciated. (Apart from don't go in) LOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Super day, best one I've played in so far and the hole in one from my playing partner on the 17th was something special. Superb 5 iron in and to see it drop was just something else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

morrga wrote: »
    Super day, best one I've played in so far and the hole in one from my playing partner on the 17th was something special. Superb 5 iron in and to see it drop was just something else!

Must have been some shot alright. Probably shouldn't have said that you clubbed him in his speech lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Must have been some shot alright. Probably shouldn't have said that you clubbed him in his speech lol.

Thought that at the time too, definitely not a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DigUm

Any idea what winning scores were? Just wondering did my 36 get anything in the higher handicap category?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭valc

Sorry to say 36 didn't feature in either of the mens categories. 45 won the higher category!

• Advertisement

DigUm wrote: »
    Any idea what winning scores were? Just wondering did my 36 get anything in the higher handicap category?

40 was the winning score in category 1 with two 38's coming second and third. I know this cos my partner had the 40 and he's delighted!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Was there a prize for that?

Was there a prize for that?

He got a set if taylormade irons for nearest the pin but no prize for dobbing in his playing partner

He got a set if taylormade irons for nearest the pin but no prize for dobbing in his playing partner

Rule 8, Definitely the most broken rule in golf.

Thought that at the time too, definitely not a good idea

Don't see the problem with his speech!! It was an honest assessment and hardly takes from the feat!!

• Advertisement

morrga wrote: »
    Don't see the problem with his speech!! It was an honest assessment and hardly takes from the feat!!

No way does it take away from the feat.

Rule 8: is a farce at our level
    Golf is a game played by friends and of course your going to discuss different holes, clubs, etc., especially if your buddy is having a bad round it's human nature.
    Rarely played a competition when nobody gave anyone advice even though it's against the rules. But no one will ever call anyone on it.
    The question is has it become so common that everybody has forgotten its a rule, and certainly don't admit it in your speech.

8-1 Advice

During a stipulated round, a player must not:

a. give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or

b. ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE
    Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

No way does it take away from the feat.

Rule 8: is a farce at our level
    Golf is a game played by friends and of course your going to discuss different holes, clubs, etc., especially if your buddy is having a bad round it's human nature.
    Rarely played a competition when nobody gave anyone advice even though it's against the rules. But no one will ever call anyone on it.
    The question is has it become so common that everybody has forgotten its a rule, and certainly don't admit it in your speech.

8-1 Advice

During a stipulated round, a player must not:

a. give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or

b. ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE
    Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.
    Unfortuately Montgolfier golf doesn't work like that, you either follow all the rules or none at all, you can't pick and choose which ones you follow, the game we play is based on honesty and integrity and that onus is on the player so using the excuse "ah shure no one called me on it" is lazy at best and cheating at worst.

Unfortuately Montgolfier golf doesn't work like that, you either follow all the rules or none at all, you can't pick and choose which ones you follow, the game we play is based on honesty and integrity and that onus is on the player so using the excuse "ah shure no one called me on it" is lazy at best and cheating at worst.

It's an easy argument to take the higher moral ground on this one.
    Just be aware you are shooting the messenger in this case.
    The message is it happens a lot I am stating what I see and hear on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

It's an easy argument to take the higher moral ground on this one.
    Just be aware you are shooting the messenger in this case.
    The message is it happens a lot I am stating what I see and hear on the course.
    What have morals got to do with it, It's not a question of moral high ground, there is only black and white when it comes to the rules, it's not an a la carte menu, you follow them all or don't follow them at all, it really is that simple.
    Oh yeah and the arguement that becuase someone else doesn't follow them means I don't have to is total BS.

This guy wasn't playing in the competition itself so am sure he is not in breach of any rule then!

4 days to reply with that.

As a fellow golfer said today, this game is rife with it.

4 days to reply with that.

As a fellow golfer said today, this game is rife with it.

What a gob$hite. Was down in west Limerick for the weekend at the in laws where 3G never mind wifi is non existent. Back in work yesterday.

Your response is that of a beaten man.

Classy.

Fact is he cheated when he clubbed the player. The heritage is a lovely stroll I'll give him that.

Classy.

Fact is he cheated when he clubbed the player. The heritage is a lovely stroll I'll give him that.

He wasn't in the completion so therefore didn't cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

easy now children, or you will end up in the naughty spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just a quick question...and maybe I'm misinterpreting posts, but if he wasn't playing in the competition, how did he qualify for winning a closest to the pin prize?

It's part of the golf digest rules. You can't play in the singles comp without a gui but there is no requirement for a gui to play longest drive or nearest pin.

Here's a point that everyone seems to be missing:
    In his speech he said that his playing partner went out the back of yhe green with his shot.As a rresult of this he said to mr hole in one that it was a five iron for him. As such his partner is the breach in question as he gave tge advice, mr hole in one didn't ask for it so should not be penalised.
    Hope this clarifies things. After all it was a fantastic achievement and should not be questioned by begrudgers

Wonder what the "nearest the pin" player prior to this hole in one on 17 thoughts are? It was standing at 9 foot at one stage which on that hole is a belter.

I'm not begrudging him his hole in one in any way- fair play to him. No better feeling in the world. What I'm saying is he shouldn't be aided by his fellow competitors. No reflection on him at all. To be clubbed by a playing non competitor, which to the letter of the law isn't illegal, is far from right.

First fella stands up, puts 5 iron over the back. That's only a 6 for you John, John proceeds to hole it with a 6. Everybody's happy except the guy who has done his utmost to get it to 9 foot previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Wonder what the "nearest the pin" player prior to this hole in one on 17 thoughts are? It was standing at 9 foot at one stage which on that hole is a belter.

I'm not begrudging him his hole in one in any way- fair play to him. No better feeling in the world. What I'm saying is he shouldn't be aided by his fellow competitors. No reflection on him at all. To be clubbed by a playing non competitor, which to the letter of the law isn't illegal, is far from right.

First fella stands up, puts 5 iron over the back. That's only a 6 for you John, John proceeds to hole it with a 6. Everybody's happy except the guy who has done his utmost to get it to 9 foot previously.

Is it not illegal ? I mean just because you do not have a GUI, surely you still have to abide by the rules of the game ?

Otherwise it'll be leather wedges left, right and center ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The guy who got the hole in one isn't the one breaching the rules. The guy who gave the advice is.

If I'm playing someone who I know I have very similar club carry distance with in a comp I just look at their bag to see what club is missing while they are hitting. I don't ask anything but I still know what they hit.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Is it not illegal ? I mean just because you do not have a GUI, surely you still have to abide by the rules of the game ?

Otherwise it'll be leather wedges left, right and center ?

My understanding is if he's not competing in the same comp, then no.

ForeRight wrote: »
    The guy who got the hole in one isn't the one breaching the rules. The guy who gave the advice is.

If I'm playing someone who I know I have very similar club carry distance with in a comp I just look at their bag to see what club is missing while they are hitting. I don't ask anything but I still know what they hit.

Exactly. You're not being enabled:-)

I'll step out now, fair dues nice prize. Used to do these events. They're a great day out in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Anyone heading to Royal Dublin on Sunday? V excited to play one of these even if price is a bit steep. Too bad theres not a category 0-5 prize but links golf gives the low men more of a shot I think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Bit of a deviation here but I played the Heritage yesterday so I was just looking for peoples opinions on it...hence I ended up on this thread.

Laser devices. Is it ok to share the distances measured by these devices? Is it ok for a playing partner to ask you for the distance once you have measured it? I was of the opinion that it was ok to volunteer the information but it was not ok to request it? Seems this might actually be wrong and it is ok to provide it and to request it.

Advertisement