Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal wont let me repeat!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 30-05-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    My principal wont let me repeat my leaving cert. I was out for over a month because of a operation and I was for a bit because of a death in the family and family members needed help babysitting.

When I was out because of the death in my family and I was babysitting my little cousins my mother rang the school to explain why I was out and the vice principal said that there would be no problem repeating.

I went in to speak to the principal last week to make sure that everything was okay with me repeating and she said that I wouldn't be able to because it had to be because of a medical issue and that I would need a letter from the doctor.

So my mother went in yesterday to say that I have a letter coming from the hospital and the doctor to say why I missed time and because of that I should be able to repeat but both the vice principal and the principal said that im absolutely not aloud because I should have been able to catch up on everything and that some people just are not academic enough.

I was talking to a girl who was repeating last year and she was aloud because she didn't get the point she wanted and there was no problem all she did was ask and she was aloud.

PLEASE HELP ALL I WANT TO DO IS REPEAT TO GET THE POINTS I NEED AND GO TO COLLEGE!!!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

You should be allowed repeat, sure - but would you not at least do the LC this time around if you are pencilled in? You have nothing to lose - you may even get your points this time around, and save wasting a year of your life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Make a fuss with a local newspaper? :pac: I'm not messing, that could really get them to change their mind. Last they'd want is bad publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Make a fuss with a local newspaper? :pac: I'm not messing, that could really get them to change their mind. Last they'd want is bad publicity.

Hotale, are you still procrastinating with the LC starting in 4 days time? :pac:

maguic24 wrote: »
    Hotale, are you still procrastinating with the LC starting in 4 days time? :pac:

What else is the LC forum for? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Sit the exams and then discuss repeating when you have the results in hand. Just sitting them will be good experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 m4rk2014

I am sitting them but I dont have the entry requirements and I really need more time for maths.. I have already gone to the local news paper and they cant get in contact with my principal as of yet. there must be some law or something that let students repeat in the same school.. I dont want to do a PLC or anything like that..

I dont see why hes not letting me i have never gave any trouble in school. he just does favours for people he likes.. :(

m4rk2014 wrote: »
    I am sitting them but I dont have the entry requirements and I really need more time for maths.. I have already gone to the local news paper and they cant get in contact with my principal as of yet. there must be some law or something that let students repeat in the same school.. I dont want to do a PLC or anything like that..

I dont see why hes not letting me i have never gave any trouble in school. he just does favours for people he likes.. :(

Nope, there's no law about it. Our school doesn't let us repeat in the same place either. They've no obligation to educate you once you pass 16. (As far as I'm aware)

Contact your TD? Like, all you can really do is make a big fuss and hope he changes his mind.

Ya. Someone told me to contact the minister of education so i might try that and I also have a meeting next week with one of the local coucilers in my town.

If I am not alowed I will make a huge fuss and get them very bad publisity because of the way he is going about and he let other people repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Seems pretty unfair given your circumstances and the fact she let others just because they didnt get the points they wanted.

Ya. Someone told me to contact the minister of education so i might try that and I also have a meeting next week with one of the local coucilers in my town.

If I am not alowed I will make a huge fuss and get them very bad publisity because of the way he is going about and he let other people repeat.

Thejournal.ie would love this :pac

sorry mods if I'm not allowed say stuff like that :p

• Advertisement

Ya ino but lots of people have problem with him over all things.

There was another student who was aloud to repeat because of there parents were splitting up.

What about other people who want to repeat. If they let someone else repeat next year surely there would be somthing I can do because that would be just unfair.

I think what ill do is see what the my local coucil man says next week and bring in all the letter I have and if I'm still not aloud I will have to start emailing places like the journal.ie and hopefully somthing will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Nope, there's no law about it. Our school doesn't let us repeat in the same place either. They've no obligation to educate you once you pass 16. (As far as I'm aware)

Contact your TD? Like, all you can really do is make a big fuss and hope he changes his mind.

I didn't know that. I know in a public school there is a fee for repeating something around €200 so it's not like you're there for free

Ino there's a fee. I also heard before that all students are entitled to 6 years of free education (not including book rental or leaving cert prices) do ye no if that true?

Ino there's a fee. I also heard before that all students are entitled to 6 years of free education (not including book rental or leaving cert prices) do ye no if that true?

I don't know to be honest, message Spurious (the moderator), he/she probably knows more than we do about this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

publisity

Hardly much point.

In all seriousness, the school has no obligation to let you attends their school. So as others have suggested, got to you're TD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Why dont you repeat in another school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Ok first off it's ALLOWED not aloud.
    (sorry that was seriously bugging me!)

Second, I'm unclear - do you want to sit your exams this year but with the clear intention of repeating again next year?
    So I'm working on the assumption that it's a yes to the above.
    And that the principal hasn't an issue with you doing your leaving cert in the school next week.

Ok as to repeating next year, you'd have to look at the schools enrolment policy I'd imagine. I can't see that the school would have an automatic place for you to repeat there next year. E.g. If it is an oversubscribed city school, there physically may not have the slot available - maybe that other student that previously repeated just got lucky.
    As someone said legally the state and therefore the school (assuming it is state funded) only has a legal obligation to educate you till the age of 16. I cannot see how a school can be forced to allow you to repeat there. They are not expelling you - you have completed one cycle of the leaving cert and I can't see how /why they should be forced to accommodate you next year. Obviously most schools would be flexible with most of their students. However they may have a policy with regards to accepting repeat students and you are not meeting these criteria whatever they are. If there is no policy perhaps you are reaping the ill rewards of your contribution (or lack thereof) to the school in your time there. That is, I've never once come across a school unwilling to help a 'good' student.

With an argumentive attitude you won't catch many flies either so I'd curb that attitude for that now and just concentrate on the exams next week.

As to the 'fee' for repeating - I assume oncex is referring to the fee paid to the SEC - state exams commission . That fee is used to pay for the printing of papers, paying correctors etc etc. it does not go to the school. Defo have your facts correct before you go blustering hot air to the media (or your principal for that matter)

I'd say for now focus on your exams next week and worry about repeating afterwards. Unless I've picked this up all wrong of course and the school are preventing you from doing your exams next week? Which us a whole other kettle of fish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you fail your leaving cert you don't just repeat 6th year, I don't think this has ever been the norm. You have to go off somewhere else and do it. Many VEC schools do repeat leaving cert courses, for instance, if you're in Dublin then Pearse College on the Southside and Plunkett College on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If you fail your leaving cert you don't just repeat 6th year, I don't think this has ever been the norm. You have to go off somewhere else and do it. Many VEC schools do repeat leaving cert courses, for instance, if you're in Dublin then Pearse College on the Southside and Plunkett College on the Northside.

You mean a 6th level college? Some people do that but lots of people who fail repeat the 6th year too

Yes happywithlife that is the way I am doing it.

I have been talking to many of my teachers about me repeating next year and they said there in enough room they even told me what classes I would be in next year and they seem happy with me repeating its only the principal that seems to have a problem.

I have got the number to the minister of education and will be ringing him on monday to see what I can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Ok first off it's ALLOWED not aloud.
    (sorry that was seriously bugging me!)
    the exams next week.

As to the 'fee' for repeating - I assume oncex is referring to the fee paid to the SEC - state exams commission . That fee is used to pay for the printing of papers, paying correctors etc etc. it does not go to the school. Defo have your facts correct before you go blustering hot air to the media (or your principal for that matter)

No im repeating at the moment and before I was allowed to enrol back in August, I paid a €200 fee to attend the public school.(not sure of the correct amount) and then another €100 for the student contribution(but everyone has to pay that anyway)
    I then paid the €300 for sitting the exams.

Not that it has much relevance to the ops question sorry :pac:

Hopefully when the results come out I will be allowed. I bet if i gave a nice contribution to the school I would be allowed without any hassle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there anything you aren't telling us? Have there been any disciplinary incidents you were involved in?
    The Minister won't get involved in this, it's a Board of Management matter, but they will usually go with the Principal's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I presume you're not in Dublin . If you are under 18 contact the Ombudsman for children. Try not to get stressed about this and do your best this time around. Good luck

No I am not in Dublin. I am under 18 I will try doing that.
    thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hopefully when the results come out I will be allowed. I bet if i gave a nice contribution to the school I would be allowed without any hassle.

You know it could be something as simple as the principal is not telling you that you can repeat until you have a set of results in front of you in August and only then will you know if there is a need to repeat.

I get pissed off with students sitting in front of me from March - May of Leaving Cert who say 'oh I'm going repeating' because inevitably it means they've decided they are doing another year of school and they sit back and do no work, and if they just got on with it they might actually achieve what they need the first time around.

You should be concentrating on your exams for this week instead of looking to contact the Minister of Education (who won't get involved by the way) and consider your options in August, which is the appropriate time to consider your future.

If I was a principal I would be saying 'Do your exams first and we'll discuss repeating in August'

I am focusing on my exam but theres no point saying I am going to get into the course I want when I dont even have the entry requirements and my mock results weren't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Rainbowtrout is right. Forget about it for two weeks and regardless of entry requirements and see how well you can actually do at least it will give you an idea of what level you are really at. Mocks are irrelevant.

Why don't you have the entry requirements how are you missing things.

As far as I know (but open to correction) no school is obliged to take anyone as a repeat. A school I worked in the past only took repeats from other schools not its own students. I know a school that won't take any repeats.
    Teachers don't know how much space there is in next years classes. They may have some idea but they don't know the ins and outs.
    There may be a new policy next year. There may be no space. It may be as raimbowtriut said and the principal is trying to get you to push yourself now.

Have your parents met with the principal?

I think you need to stop with this minister/news paper/td Craic and deal with it locally first. Over reacting is not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

There's only one school in Ennis that does proper repeats and people come from as far as gort to repeat there usually, some schools just don't do it.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,
    I haven't done anything since the last meeting, but today when my mother was in work my principal was up there for dinner and after dinner he went to my mother to pay for his dinner and my mother said "sorry but I cant accept payment because I haven't got the card but Mary will take your payment". She couldn't take this payment because you need a card for the tills.

After he payed for his meal he went up and complained to my mothers manager saying that she is extremely rude ect..

My mothers manager seen what happened and said to my mother that she seen and heard what she said and said dont worry about it, and said to her she wasn't rude dont worry about it.

The only reason he done this was because of the meeting last week and he wasn't happy with the way my mother was asking could i repeat ect...

I dont think this is good enough as he is taking it to my mothers place of work.

Advertisement