Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Birth of a new club......

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

No real set route but tends to head toward Julianstown , Duleekn, Kentstown , Ardcath, Naul etc but it's not set in stone and can end up around Ashbourne Garristown etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I might pop down and join yis for a bit anyway. Where do you stop for coffee? :)

Usually Naul. Wont be out this Sunday so text Rob Fowl and hope he replies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where and what time is the meeting point on Saturdays? Might join you for the Autumn/winter spins.

billyhead wrote: »
    Where and what time is the meeting point on Saturdays? Might join you for the Autumn/winter spins.

At present its 8.30 outside the school in Balrothery and as the mornings get darker it will turn to 9am and probably move to the front of The Balrothery inn /costcutter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What is the exact time that one spends at the head of the echelon and how many turns can I skip?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What is the exact time that one spends at the head of the echelon and how many turns can I skip?

Bcmf has managed one full turn this year so that seems to be the accepted minimum ...

Ya b**lix.
    Now get off the internety and check your txt messages

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,442 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bcmf wrote: »
    check your txt messages
    Are you revolting?

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you revolting?

Jaysus may not be the best looking lad in the world but certainly not the worst by a long shot!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you revolting?

He's setting up velo club de balrothery due to a dispute over the jersey design ;)

Actually delighted with response so far and esp the support from other clubs. Makes you proud to be a part if this great sport .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,442 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    He's setting up velo club de balrothery due to a dispute over the jersey design
    Always expected a large dose of red, but was slightly surprised the black made the cut

He's setting up velo club de balrothery due to a dispute over the jersey design ;)

The thoughts of seeing skinsuits in winter is really making me think twice about this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Actually delighted with response so far and esp the support from other clubs. Makes you proud to be a part if this great sport .

What's the deal with Balbriggan Cycling Club?

El Kabong! wrote: »

It's in Balbriggan, a large town 3kms north of Balrothery, a village home to Velo Club Balrothery.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Best of luck with this guys, I was keeping an eye on the thread for a while and would love to join but work has now dragged me full time down to Ennis . Might catch up and join in some weekend :):)

splitters

Hope you all had a good time. I couldn't make it at the last minute... saw some guy in black and white gear heading down and waited to see if you all passed on the way to Ardgillan but you must have chosen a different route.

Will hopefully be able to meet up next week.

Was it a natural birth or a c section?

• Advertisement

Hope you all had a good time. I couldn't make it at the last minute... saw some guy in black and white gear heading down and waited to see if you all passed on the way to Ardgillan but you must have chosen a different route.

Will hopefully be able to meet up next week.

Nope.The guy in the black and white gear was possibly me or another lad.I was up early so went ahead but when I got to Ardgillan my tyre ripped so had to go back down and put a new one on.
    The club kit isnt ready yet so dont be looking for it.....

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Was it a natural birth or a c section?

IVF

wont make this spin tomorrow. enjoy.

Club spins up and running

Sat 08:30 from the National school in Balrothery, head to Blackhills to meet the Skerries crew then roughly follow the route set by Pat Halligan of Obilesk CC. Roughly 86 k average about 28-29kph

At 11:00m sat there is a coached spin for beginners (mainly aimed at Ladies) of 20-30k at a pace where no one gets left behind. We'll run this for Oct and Nov.

Sun meet 09:30 at Balrothery national school and this route varies a bit. at present tend to head to Kentstown and back over to Garristown with coffee in Naul. Pace about 28kph

Awaiting CI registration to be finalised.

Club gear is ordered and due in 5 weeks.

Leisure polo shirts ordered and arrival imminent.

Exciting times in a great part of NCD.

We hope to have a touring spin of 50-60k at 24-25kph going in the near future.

A lot of work going on behind the scenes and its great to see local people put in such efforts.

Non club members welcome on the spins although CI/IVCA or Tri ireland licences will be mandatory in the near future for insurance purposes.

Grudging congrats to bcmf for taking the inaugural VCB sat am sprint (a certain Fowl of the Rob variety was robbed.....)

I would be interested in the touring spins. Thanks!

I would be interested in the touring spins. Thanks!

We'll try to get them started soon. How proficient are you in cycling? What sort of distances can you ride and are you local?

Grudging congrats to bcmf for taking the inaugural VCB sat am sprint (a certain Fowl of the Rob variety was too busy sitting up and looking over his right shoulder like the amateur he is while I sneaked up the left..)

Yeah Staro was right when he said you telegraphed your intentions.

We'll try to get them started soon. How proficient are you in cycling? What sort of distances can you ride and are you local?

I'm very very local.

I have just started cycling again having had no exercise for ~20 years!

During the summer I climbed Alpe d'Huez without stopping on my first attemp... and another Alpe too.. but...

I have only done a handful of 60k+ rides, with a pal, and was tired after them and would average 23-25kph.

I find that if I just go out and about that is the speed I average.

I can plod away on hills but long distances tire me.

I would prefer to join a touring group to get my general fitness level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Non club members welcome on the spins although CI/IVCA or Tri ireland licences will be mandatory in the near future for insurance purposes.

Do Tri Ireland licences cover club spins for the year? Or just introductory spins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

bcmf wrote: »
    Yeah Staro was right when he said you telegraphed your intentions.

If I had of known it was the first official spin.......:(

Advertisement