Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Murph_D wrote: »
    Mile 5:51 (PB) (TBC)

bends didn’t feel too bad, and I went through 400 in about 1:30, as planned. On Lap 3 (I think), I felt it was slowing and I was a bit crowded, so I passed Adrian and a couple of others and moved up to just behind Wubble, not far ahead. His pace felt about right so I drafted for a lap or so before passing and going through 800m in about 2;29. So far so good. I was beginning to tire, and cursing the seemingly endless number of laps but at least they were short!

)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done Murph! Super time.

Nice to get a sub-60 400m in there as well while you were at it ;)

Better again, about 15s for 200m, given the drafting at my 44/45 second pace for the third lap :pac::pac:
    adrian522 wrote: »
    I went through 800m in 3:00, don't think he was 30 seconds ahead at that point !

Especially as he was behind me and just ahead of you after 600 :D No wonder he was tired after that burst of speed :pac:

Major sandbagging going on here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats Denis. That race will certainly help going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the PB D. Great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done Murph! Super time.

Nice to get a sub-60 400m in there as well while you were at it ;)

Ha. 2:29 would have been nice alright. Edited!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Just presuming your running Raheny tomorrow cause you normally do, best of luck with it D.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Just presuming your running Raheny tomorrow cause you normally do, best of luck with it D.

Thanks B, but I'll just be a spectator this year. The Mrs is down to do it though!

Fri 26 Jan

No running. Wedding in Kerry. Congrats again, P!

Sat 27 Jan

6.8k inc. Killarney parkrun @ tempo (21:31)

Head clearing run that didn’t feel far off race effort under the circumstances. Always nice to get in some parkrun tourism and this is a very nice run on an undulating course.

Sun 28 Jan

LR 16.1k @ 5:23

No Raheny 5 for me this year, so decided to incorporate the course into this week’s long run, joined by M for the Raheny part. Windy enough out. Enjoyed this. We were out four hours before the start and the course was all set up and ready to go. Good luck to anyone racing it.

WTD: 49k (31m)
    MTD/YTD: 178 (111)

Mon 29 Jan

Rest.

Tue 30 Jan

Club session: 6x800 (200m jog recovery)

Warmed up with the customary jog over to the club. Was quite early so time for another few laps and the group dynamic drills. And then the 800s - not my favourite session, despite my interest in racing that distance. Worked through this reasonably well though, feeling quite strong and rested after not racing at the weekend.

Splits:
    3:17 3:17 3:11
    3:14 3:14 3:16

I find these much easier with standing recoveries, so happy enough with that (even though, along with everyone else, I recovered at much slower than the HM pace suggested by the coach). Total for the evening: 15k.

Wed 31 Jan

No running. A bit under the weather so had a doze on the couch instead. Not exactly the highest monthly mileage ever. :rolleyes: Should be quite fresh for Saturday’s cross country all the same!

WTD: 15k (9m)
    MTD/YTD: 193 (120)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Mon 29 Jan

Rest.

Tue 30 Jan

Warmed up with the customary jog over to the club. Was quite early so time for another few laps and the group dynamic drills. And then the 800s - not my favourite session, despite my interest in racing that distance. Worked through this reasonably well though, feeling quite strong and rested after not racing at the weekend.

Splits:

I find these much easier with standing recoveries, so happy enough with that (even though, along with everyone else, I recovered at much slower than the HM pace suggested by the coach). Total for the evening: 15k.

Wed 31 Jan

No running. A bit under the weather so had a doze on the couch instead. Not exactly the highest monthly mileage ever. :rolleyes: Should be quite fresh for Saturday’s cross country all the same!

Not having a pop at the coach, but is that a realistic effort for any of us 'amateurs'?

You might just about get Krusty to give it a lash.

Itziger wrote: »
    Not having a pop at the coach, but is that a realistic effort for any of us 'amateurs'?

It's certainly not realistic for me! We mid-packers voted with our feet. I practically walked the last recovery. Nobody gave out to me. ;)

• Advertisement

Mon 29 Jan

Rest.

Tue 30 Jan

Splits:

Itziger wrote: »

It's certainly not realistic for me! We mid-packers voted with our feet. I practically walked the last recovery. Nobody gave out to me. ;)

:pac: First time I looked at this, I misread the 200m jog recovery as "2:00 jog recovery", so I was thinking "No big deal, what's Itziger on about there?"

Well done on the session anyway. Our paths will probably cross at some stage tomorrow :D

All the best with the mudlarking tomorrow D, run well.

Thu 1 Feb

9.1k easy on the seafront.

Still a bit under the weather, but feeling a lot better today.

Fri 2 Feb

8.1k easy on the MU-Carton House loop in the late-afternoon gloom.

Sat 3 Feb

BHAA Garda Cross Country 4m 84th place (of 203). 7th M55 (of 16)

I have to say I’ve been enjoying the experience of racing more than usual over the past couple of months, although I think I’ve yet to see the benefit in terms of the results/performances. This one was an introduction to the ‘Munich’ hills, which I’ve jogged a few times on easy training runs, but never in the heat of battle, so to speak. It’s a challenging course. :eek:

Got there in good time with Duanington and FBOT, who was driving the DNS bus today. My plan was to go out a little easier than previously and pick up in the longer second and third laps, hopefully finding some runners to work off. That went to plan at first, along the fast opening stretches and tricky enough descent from the fort (where the vicinity was alive with hill sprinters and tyre-draggers of various persuasions).

Then the hard bit. I had no legs for the uphill section, which seemed to go on forever. Passed by a good few here, including a determined looking Wubble Wubble. Through the trees and then another tough little hill, before hitting the straight and into lap two. Some nice going along here, and I started to improve a little, briefly getting in front of WW again, but only for a few metres as he was having none of it. I really should have pressed here but took the easier option, and ground out the rest of the lap, losing more ground on the hills. This longer lap features some tricky trail above the Khyber, which I kind of enjoyed. It was causing some trouble for runners in the wrong shoes, and at least I felt reasonably sure-footed as I plodded through. Lap three was more or less a repeat of its predecessor. Passed a clubmate, hoping he’d respond and help push me closer to WW, about five places in front. Picked up a couple of places on the downhill and was in striking distance, but died yet again in the hills. Managed a reasonable uptick after the final sharp turn at top of the Khyber - passing my friend in the football boots from the last BHAA race - but not enough to make much of an impact. Glad to hit the finish.

Didn’t run or race very well but an excellent workout. Well organised, and plenty of vocal support throughout. Good spread afterwards, where I finally got acquainted with the famous BHAA brack and a rake of mini-muffins. :) So much so that I had to decline the ‘recovery snack of champions’ in the car home. ;)

Total with warmup and cooldown: 12.6k

Not finished with the XC yet but at least I’ve hit all my mud-related 2018 goals already:

XC
    3. Dont get lapped in Dublin Masters.
    4. Run at least two other events (say this every year and fail).

You can’t fault me for aiming too high. ;)

Edit: 84th place in 28:45, which is slightly down on last outing (82nd/28:27), but less than I thought initially.

WTD: 35k (22m)
    MTD: 20 (12]
    YTD: 213 (132)

Sun 4 Feb

LR 16.1k @ 5:40 + 2k @ 6:06

Out early along the seafront to Sutton. Got drenched but mostly dry by the time I arrived at St. Anne’s for jr parkrun. Another soaking running it with the elder boy, having stupidly changed into my dry top beforehand. Congrats to the St. Anne’s team on their first anniversary. I was a bit too cold and wet and cranky to celebrate, apologies. Well done to all concerned.

WTD: 63k (39m)
    MTD: 48 (30)
    YTD: 241 (150)

Mon 5 Feb

Rest.

Tue 6 Feb

Club session: 4 sets 3x400 progressive

An interesting session, and a new one on me. Start at HM pace, 10k pace for second rep, 5k pace for the third. Then repeat, repeat, repeat. Really enjoyed this, just following the crowd really but the paces felt fairly accurate (discovered they were not really when I checked later, but the average was about right). The non-stop, fartleky nature of this was a novelty.

Splits:
    1:49 1:35 1:36 (long?)
    2:11 1:39 1:33
    2:13 1:40 1:35

The track was laid out at one end with cones to mark start/stop points (as lane is longer than 400m). Plus every HM pace rep was deliberately long to return to the same starting point each set. Wasn’t on the ball re start/stop for one or two of these which explains some of the weird times - if felt much more consistent than the numbers suggest! Total with runmute over and back (listening to aquinn’s wedding plans): 14.5k.

Wed 7 Feb

7.6k easy

A few miles around Marino. Made some Strava art:

441098.jpeg

Thu 8 Feb

NIA Live: 800m 2:32.25 (PB)

Headed over to the Indoor Arena for a benchmark 800. As I haven’t started any specific training yet, I wasn’t expecting to have a great race but thought I should be able to shave a second or two off the PB of 2:37.4 from Trinity last summer. Got there very early and hung around relaxing, before finally getting changed and doing some warmup laps of the arena then some half-hearted dynamics and strides. I was in the last (i.e. slowest) of four mostly men’s races, following two women’s races, all graded by expected time. (The notion of a 2:30 800 didn’t seem to even occur to the grader - ‘Come on lads, do I have 2:08, 2:09?’ as he filled the first three, then dumped the rest of us in the last one.) Fair enough.

Looking around at my rivals I thought I could take one or two of them. I was wrong.

From my lane 5 start, I was already last by the break at the start of the back straight. Christ! The pace felt blistering, and it was all I could do to avoid getting totally dropped by the pack. Must have been 5m behind by the end of the lap but at least I kept that gap fairly consistent for the rest of the race, which of course was over in a flash. From the splits being called out (for the leader, a good way in front) I had a fair idea that the pace was good enough for the PB but in the end I was slightly disappointed with the 2:32.xx, as I felt I’d run a very messy race pace wise - it felt like I was really slowing up in last 300m, but it doesn’t look like I was from the watch data. Of course that isn’t particularly trustworthy, especially indoors, so maybe I was right. If I aim for a better start next time I might do better. First time ever coming last. It doesn’t feel so bad, although the results guy was a bit bemused by my shell stretch recovery pose. :pac: Nice chat with Mulberry, who won her own 60m race. Thanks for the needed encouragement on the back straight, R!

Splits (very approx): 39 38 39 36
    No PB beer cos Dry Feb. :rolleyes:

Previous PB 2:37.4 (BHAA Trinity)
    Target: any PB
    Result: 2:32.25 (7th of 7)
    VDOT: 54.1
    Age Grade 80.3 :)
    Verdict: Learning experience

WTD: 27k (17m)
    MTD: 75 (47)
    YTD: 268 (167)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Loving the Sputnik :) Fair play with the 800m in the den of lions D. Will have to give that a go at Trinity this year.

Great stuff Denis, your unleashing your inner track fairy in style!!! Well done.

That sounds like torture. Well done on sticking it out and not giving up. I would have liked to go myself, but it doesn't like I'll be racing another 800 until Trinity in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done Denis! those indoor races sound utterly painful :D and well done Mulberry! :cool:

Fri 9 Feb

6.8k easy, up to Beaumont and back.

Sat 10 Feb

12.3k inc parkrun #96.

Ran over to St. Annes taking the shorter but hillier route via the Howth Road and went around at a nice steady pace with a recuperating Ferris, with another mile afterwards for luck. Very pleasant morning.

Sun 11 Feb

7k easy in the mountains.

We were in Wicklow for the night and stopped off at Crone Woods on the way home for a bit of trail running in the hills. Windy and cold, with some snow flurries, but a very enjoyable little outing.

WTD: 54k (33m)
    MTD: 101 (63)
    YTD: 294 (183)

• Advertisement

Mon 12 Feb

Rest.

Tue 13 Feb

Club session: 8x600 (240m jog recovery)

Depending on where I look, target for these ranges from 2:11-2:25. I joined a faster group than normal and struggled to keep up, switching to a slower one halfway through where the struggle continued. Knew I’d had a hard workout after this.

Splits:
    2:16 2:20 2:19 2:25
    2:20 2:22 2:22 2:21

On the plus side, I thought I still had one to go when the session ended, so not totally drained. Total for the night: 15.1k.

Wed 14 Feb

No running. Worked through lunch, and a thing after work, so didn’t get out.

Thu 15 Feb

12.3k easy

Joined FBOT and Ferris for a pleasant run out the coast to the causeway, Back via inland Howth Rd route to avoid the biting wind.

Fri 16 Feb

14.8k on the Royal Canal, working progressively from easy up to about HM pace by the last couple of miles.

Sat 17 Feb

7.2k inc. parkrun @ LT

A trip out to Tolka Valley, where there was an excellent turnout for Dublin’s newest parkrun. The course is a long lap followed by three short 800m laps. They may rethink that route as quite a few finished early, judging from the number of people I passed in the first lap who magically ‘finished’ in front of me. Enjoyed this, running at around LT pace, although those last three loops through traffic weren’t much fun and not conducive to a fast finish with plenty of dodging and weaving to be done.

Sun 18 Feb

Long run 80 mins easy

Pleasant enough out and back along the Tolka as far as Ashtown, in a cooling drizzle. Tired legs today and back a bit achey, possibly because this is first 40 mile week in a while, although with two rest days.

WTD: 64k (40m)
    MTD: 166 (103)
    YTD: 359 (223)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Were you really running 2:16 for 800m? or is that some sort of typo?

8 x 600m?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hopefully or else I'm calling WADA

Surely you haven't forgotten about the sub 60 400m in the middle of the indoor mile? 😂

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hopefully or else I'm calling WADA

Knew he was dodgy!!

Lot of comedians in the house tonight. ;)

8x600. Edited.

Mon 19 Feb

50 mins recovery (8.8k)

Felt terrible during this, hungry and tired. Rewarded myself with a bag of chips!

Tue 20 Feb

Club session: 3 sets 4x400

Declining recoveries of 45, 30, 15 secs, and 400m jog between sets. Really enjoyed these, tipping along at the back of the group for the most part. Finished strong, feeling great.

Splits:
    1:31 1:36 1:32 1:31
    1:33 1:30 1:35 1:33
    1:34 1:30 1:31 1:27

Jack Daniels says 1:33 for these so not too far off. Recovery jog home in the usual company, with plenty of chat. Total for the night 14.8k.

Wed 21 Feb

6.7k easy around the Maynooth campus. First after work run in ages that didn’t end in darkness. Stretch, evenings, grand.

WTD: 30k (19m)
    MTD: 196 (122)
    YTD: 389 (242)

Thu 22 Feb

Rest.

Fri 23 Feb

10k easy

Long drive to Donegal. Too dark for the local loop so combined a supermarket trip with a few laps around the Killybegs harbour. A mile or so at around MP near the end, to keep it interesting.

Sat 24 Feb

8.7k recovery

Joined the missus for a nice easy run around the local loop. Very quiet roads, with a chilly wind.

Sun 25 Feb

Long run 16.8k (progressive)

Out the road and over Croagh through the caravan park - a chance for some much-needed hill work. There was a fresh wind but thankfully mostly side-on, so not too much of a problem. Picked it up on the homeward leg, aided by the net downhill, completing the 10 miles in 80 mins flat, which is a decent workout for me on this kind of territory. Last mile was tough, following a turn directly into the wind, but I’d spotted the mrs up ahead completing her own run so distracted myself from the discomfort by chasing her down. Waved at two other runners on the roads today - rare enough around here. Magnificent sunny spring morning, always appreciated on one of my favourite routes and a terrific way to end the week.

WTD: 66k (41m)
    MTD: 232 (144)
    YTD: 425 (264)

• Advertisement

Mon 26 Feb

No running. Had planned to go out at lunchtime but no runners in the obviously not very carefully packed bag. :(

Tue 27 Feb

10.7k inc 20 mins @ tempo

With poor weather forecast, I opted to get out early rather than wait for the club session. Stopped off at Phoenix Park after work for a circuit, warming up on the North Rd and the trails before increasing to tempo-ish pace for 20 mins on the Glen/Military/Wellington Road side of the park. Net downhill here of course but into the wind, and finishing on the Wellington hill is never much fun. For me anyway. :p

Wed 28 Feb

Snow day. Met up with C and M for a wintry trot on the seafront. Much easier once we turned out of the blinding sleet at the Bull Wall. Nice coffee break before the short jog home. Always a pleasure. No shades and a bit snow blinded after this. :eek:

252k (156m) for the month, which isn’t bad after a slow enough start.

WTD: 20k (12m)
    MTD: 252 (156)
    YTD: 445 (276)

Advertisement