Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

davedanon wrote: »
    Well done, good running. Looks like official result stats you're quoting there. Where are they up, I can't find any?

http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/Search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Think you right about your P/R efforts at weekend hampering, but two consistant results, a few weeks should bring you closer to 20 mins.

Thanks G - no regrets! But a mini-taper next time for sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on the Sligo first place D :)

Week 2 cont.

Thu 25 May

Rest. Travelling to Greece for 10-day holiday. No real chance to run, although managed a dip before dinner.

Fri 26 May

11k with 5 at HMP.

First of the Hanson tempo runs (for Hanson, tempo = race pace). I like getting these sessions in during holidays for some reason, makes me feel better about the occasional excess. Staying one night near Corinth, with plenty of flat, sea level road in both directions from the hotel. Out early, warming up in one direction, then turning for the paced section, just as the sun started to make its presence felt. This went well though. Still a bit of residue from the other night's race, but felt strong. Even overtook a few old fisherman types tottering along the road on their bikes, to their slight amusement. Reeled off the first 4K easily enough at the prescribed 4:30, before flagging a bit during the last one but digging in to hit the target. 3k back to base to cool off - in the sea, of course!

Plenty of work to do but this felt pretty OK for early in the schedule.

Sat 27 May

10k easy @ 5:59/km

We are in Nafplio, where there is a terrific coastal path under the cliffs to the south and west of town. Followed it to the beach, then back, taking in some sharp climbs and descents along the way. Ran most of the outward section with the mrs. She turned at the prescribed point while I went on to add a couple of kms. Plenty of hearty kalimeras to fellow runners and walkers, nearly all of which were reciprocated. Finished the last 400 or so at a nice clip to keep the legs awake.

Sun 28 May

10k easy @ 5:42

More or less a repeat of yesterday's run, short cutting the first bit so I could explore more of the beach where I'd turned back yesterday. Felt tougher than yesterday, probably because less hung over. :p Muggy morning and I was worried that getting out later would mean suffering in the sun, but it was an overcast morning so no real trouble there. Knees a bit creaky, probably after all the walking and sightseeing of past couple of days.

Rest day tomorrow - hopefully our next destination is as run-friendly as this one.

WTD: 47k (29m)
    MTD: 189k (127)
    YTD: 1,102 (694)

• Advertisement

Charleville HM Week 3 of 18

The plan this week is to stick to the plan, maybe extending one or two of the easy runs slightly (which is allowed in the plan). The trick will be to get out at the right time for the SOS ("something of substance", in Hansonspeak) sessions on Tues and Thurs, so as not to get fried in the Peloponnesian sun.

Mon 29 May

Rest. Walked a good bit, including climbing over 900 steps up to the local fortifications for some sightseeing. And back down again, obviously. A decent enough hike.

Tue 23 May

Speed: 8x600 @ 5k pace.

Had spotted a decent looking running track at a nearby municipal sports facility yesterday, and established that it was available for use (free) and more importantly, open at 7am. We warmed up with a jog along the cliff path overlooking the Med - incredibly idyllic, but already quite hot, as it was more like 7:30 by the time we got up and out.

At the track, a few locals were walking around the outer lanes. It was great to be able to use lane 1 as I always find it a bit tricky finding the right starting point for 600s - although the track was very well marked. The mrs was in session mode too and chose a different lane.

Target for these was 2:25-2:30, and I opted for fairly short jog recoveries of about 1:30 (suggested range 1:15-2:30). By the end of this the heat was definitely a factor, and I was glad of the extra few seconds allowed for these reps compared to other plans. Very happy with this, for a holiday session. Total of 10.6k for the morning, cutting the cooldown a little short as we were hot (and hungry!)

Splits:
    2:30 2:29 2:28 2:26
    2:27 2:30 2:30 2:27

Greece is certainly struggling, but it's great to see decent sports facilities still available for all and sundry.

WTD: 11k (7m)
    MTD: 200k (133)
    YTD: 1,112 (701)

Hanson HM Week 3 cont.

Wed 31 May

Recovery 6k @ 6:03. We have moved on to Kardamyli, a lovely (if unexpectedly chi-chi) seaside village in the southern Peloponnese. Covered pretty much all of it in this run.

206k (137m) for the month. Still a little light on the miles, but that should change over the rest of summer.

Thu 1 Jun

7k inc 5 @ HMP

Another Hanson "Tempo Thursday". Got out a little earlier than has been usual and headed for a stretch of road by the beach, identified during yesterday's run as probably the only suitable flat ground in the vicinity. Had to do two out and backs to get in the required 5k. This meant getting some double kalimeras from the few friendly walkers who were out, one of whom shouted some quite hearty encouragement.

Splits: 4:21 4:25 4:27 4:23 4:26

Another good one. Fairly rinsed after it, mind, and glad I'd left some water at the finishing point. Last of the three holiday sessions. Sun not really a factor, which helped. Refreshing plunge into the sea at the end. The Mrs dragged me on a hike up the mountains later in the morning, over fairly challenging ground in baking heat. Glad I got the session in when I did, because after the hike I'm only good for beer and vittles. :pac:

WTD: 24k (15m)
    MTD: 7 (4)
    YTD: 1,125 (709)

Hanson HM Week 3 cont.

Fri 2 Jun

6k recovery

Last of the holiday runs. A final few kms with the Mrs by the beach and up one pretty tasty hill. Glad we didn't discover that one earlier. Felt tough despite the very leisurely pace. Plentiful drinks and lack of sleep catching up - have found it difficult to sleep well despite a very relaxed holiday.

Sat 3 Jun

10k easy @ 5:29

After a 3.5 hr drive and a 4 hour flight home, it felt good to get out along the seafront and shake out the legs.

Sun 4 Jun

12k easy at 5:26

Out the seafront to St. Anne's, with a lap of the old and new parkrun courses and a circuit of the rose gardens before joining the Jr parkrun crew for coffee. This one felt good and I like the look of the reinstated old parkrun course. Another PB attempt soon, methinks.

WTD: 52k (32m)
    MTD: 136k (22)
    YTD: 1,154 (717)

Charleville HM Week 4 of 18

This week is more or less the same as last week, with a slightly longer Sunday ‘long’ run of 8 miles. It’s been a while since I’ve done anything longer than 8 or 9 miles actually, now that I look at it. Hard to get out of the marathon mindframe.

Mon 5 Jun

Easy 8.2k @ 5:40

Ran into town and did a couple of laps of the grass track at Trinity. Hanson prescribes a wide range for easy pace - anything from about 5:30-6:05 per km, depending on how you feel, and what kind of run it is (recovery e.g.). This was at my default easy pace, which usually feels pretty handy, and today was no exception.

Tue 6 Jun

Speed: 6x800 @ 5k pace.

Headed to Albert College Park for this week’s speed session. Had a good warmup including some dynamics and strides but felt awful all the way through this, switching from jog to full standing recoveries half way through or else I was going to blow. :(

Splits:
    3:15 3:17 3:30
    3:09 3:24 3:14

The average was in the prescribed 3:15-3:20 range but these were all over the place and the form felt terrible too. Oh well, it’s done. Total 12.5k (7.7m)

Wed 7 Jun

Rest.

WTD: 21k (13m)
    MTD: 56k (35)
    YTD: 1,175 (730)

Wed 7 Jun

Global Running Day, apparently. Oops. Rest.

Thu 8 Jun

Tempo Thurs: 11k inc 5 @ HMP

Starting to feel the Hanson burn. I don't think any full or half marathon plan I've used before has placed the difficult workouts quite so close together. Legs still a bit tired after the Tues session. Headed around the St Anne's perimeter, which has the added bonus of a nice sharp little hill (and matching downhill) as well as some headwind to keep things interesting when out of the tree cover. :p Might choose a flatter section next time. :)

Splits: 4:23 4:29 4:26 4:30 4:25

Send me back to Greece. The sessions seemed easier over there.

Fri 9 Jun

8k recovery

Routine jog out to the seafront. Sunny and humid morning.

Sat 10 Jun

11k progressive easy/steady/MP

Met up with DNS lads for an easy lap of St. Anne's, followed by a progressive parkrun, starting out nice and easy in Laura_ac3's company before working up through the paces. Nice to be back on the old flat St. Anne's course. Used the avenue to practice the strong finish. Only a takeaway coffee this week unfortunately.

Sun 11 Jun

16.2k easy at 5:34

Early run to the Docklands and the Lansdowne Rd area, taking in the final section of the DCM route. Appropriate enough as I signed up for the marathon yesterday, as well as the Fingal 10k and the Frank Duffy. Happy to get in a 40-mile week, first since Feb. All good.

WTD: 67k (42m)
    MTD: 103k (64)
    YTD: 1,221 (759)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Are you planning to run DCM off your Half marathon training? Will you amend the plan at all and what will you do between Charlevile and the end of October? (Asking for a friend!)

adrian522 wrote: »
    Are you planning to run DCM off your Half marathon training? Will you amend the plan at all and what will you do between Charlevile and the end of October? (Asking for a friend!)

The HM is the goal so I won't be amending it beyond possibly adding a mile or two to some of the easy runs.

There will be 6 weeks to DCM so I reckon a couple of weeks recovery, couple of 20 milers, then two week taper. Won't be taking DCM too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Murph_D wrote: »
    Wed 7 Jun

Global Running Day, apparently. Oops. Rest.

I did the same and felt like quite a rebel. The man isn't going to tell me when I can run!

Charleville HM Week 5 of 18

This week is about working around the BHAA event at the TCD track, because life is short and sometimes the plan can wait. Will try to minimise the disruption by using races as the session, and moving the tempo run out to a Saturday parkrun.

Mon 12 Jun

Recovery 6.6k @ 5:55

Gentle run in Albert College Park. No more, no less.

Tue 13 Jun

Easy 8.2k @ 5:41.

Comfortable tour of Dublin 9 at default easy pace.

Wed 14 Jun

BHAA Trinity Track races

This event has caught my eye a few times over the last few years and I finally got off my arse and made it my business to get over there. I'd even reccied the track on a couple of recent easy runs so had an idea of the lie of the land. The track is pretty good, but a little bumpy in places with uneven ground. Certainly nothing to worry about for the likes of me. Jogged into town to warm up, carrying a backpack with extra layer and the usual essentials. Quite a few clubmates in attendance, and after chatting to a few of them, went in to sign up and discovered they'd run out of forms. Had to wait about 20 mins while a makeshift form was handwritten and photocopied, but it was all very friendly and gave me a chance to chill. BHAA races are graded so the form asks you to choose your standard, which I decided was level 12 based on recent 5k times. Chatted with Adrian and Wubble Wubble while waiting. Discovered that some obviously faster runners were racing in a standard that suggested they were slower, so began to worry that I might be last, with all the sandbagging that either was or wasn't going on. :D

800m

Watched the women's races and a few of the men's before the 12/13 standards were called to the line. The Mrs arrived perfectly on time just as the race was called, a bit of a boost as I'd now have to perform. :pac: There were maybe 12-15 runners. Wubble Wubble was in my race and we exchanged more pleasantries while lining up. I found a spot out wide and when the gun went I didn't worry about position right away, preferring to gauge the pace over the first 200m. Beyond a paced mile I've never raced on the track so didn't really know what to do, beyond observing the tip that BG had proffered earlier in the day: Run to win.

The race is a total blur but I think it went something like this.

Tucked into the pack well behind WW on the opening bend but could see the leading group of 4-5 pulling away so used the back straight to latch onto the back of them. The pace felt very challenging, but I was confident that the people I'd passed would not threaten. A clubmate was at the back of the lead group. I've never raced him, and indeed he tends to train in faster Tues night groups than I do, but (maybe because of that) I felt I'd be able to take him, so I tracked him to the (virtual) bell, passing just at the top of the second lap. I was now in fifth or sixth position, oblivious to anyone behind, and already breathing through my proverbial arse. On the back straight I was starting to annoy myself with the heavy breathing but I hung in there and forgave myself. :) I may have passed someone here, perhaps earlier, but with 200 to go I was in fifth position. Your man in front looked reachable. I felt strong and upped the pace, passing at the top of the straight, maybe a bit later, and finished strongly through the line. Stopped the watch after a second or two and it said 2:38.

Delighted with that. Fourth place - but third prize thanks to the mysterious workings of the BHAA. :) 10 secs faster than I'd guessed/hoped. Probably could have given some more if it had come down to it. Took a breather and shook hands with as many participants as I could identify. Total blast. VDOT 52, best ever.

Previous PB: n/a
    Target: 2:50
    Actual: 2:37.4 (Official)
    Posn: 4th (of 15) VDOT: 52.2 :) Age Grade: 77.7% :) (DG is racing me to 80% - how are we doin?)
    Verdict: Gangbusters

2000m

There would be about an hour's wait before race 2. Cooled down, chatted with various clubmates, family, boardsies. Watched some top notch club performances in the women's 2000. Warmed up while watching Adrian's race, where he did all the work only to be cruelly hunted down in the final 200. Noticed how he resisted though, and hoped I would be able to do the same if challenged for my place.

Lined up again and we were off. Had chosen a different starting position at the line and it didn't work out. Was bringing up the rear of the 12-15 (I think) field through the first half lap. The runner I'd passed at the end of the 800 was boxed in and impatient - he broke out and took the long way around the group after 150. Noted that but stayed where I was as the legs were still a bit leaden after the previous efforts and I didn't want to overdo the early part of the race. It felt too slow though, and passing the mrs, aquinn and clubmates after 200m (later observation from aquinn: Why were you last?) I pushed up the outside to a better position, maybe sixth. Held this place for most of the rest of the race, sometimes isolated, but gradually closing in on the runner in front. Listened to the splits called out by the timer at the end of each lap. Could tell I was leaking a second or two each time around, but holding my own. I knew from the supporter shouts that WW was only a few metres behind, and didn't want to give him any enouragement, even when I started to feel distinctly uncomfortable over the last lap and a half. At the start of the final lap, I injected a tiny bit of pace, just enough to keep the dry heaves from getting worse and hopefully discourage anyone behind. Continued to close on Blue ahead, but with 225 to go someone charged through from behind at a ridiculous pace, absolutely no point in trying to go with him (although there was still enough time for him to blow up and therefore some hope) :pac:. Let him go and kept my sights on Blue. At the end of the final bend I opened up and drew level in the straight. He'd glanced over the shoulder so I felt confident I'd be able to outsprint, and managed to do just that, almost catching another runner on the line.

Clocked it at 7:50 or so - relatively poor time but an enjoyable race, apart from having eye wiped by Mr. Gump. Pretty bunched afterwards, so a good night's work. Good tea and sambo spread after. Eschewed a pint in the Pavillion (but managed one in Gaffney's later). ;)

Previous PB: n/a
    Target: 7:40
    Actual: 7:49.5 (Official)
    Posn: 6th (of 14) VDOT: 47 Age Grade: 72.5%
    Verdict: Tired legs, good enough.

First time doing a BHAA event, and what a lovely place to do it. Everything about this was top class, the kind of event that makes you glad to be a runner of any capacity. Lots of participation, support and volunteering/organising here from the Cru too. Only right, I suppose, given the proximity but still great to see. Flawless event, finished at least 10 mins early! :pac: Picked up a spot prize: deck of TCD playing cards - what more would you want? ;) Kudos to all concerned.

WTD: 25k (15m)
    MTD: 128k (79)
    YTD: 1,246 (774)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice going D, sounds like some crack. Not bad for first outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well that 800m race has certainly put the cat among the pigeons. What a shocker: Vdot 52!!! Funny how even after a few years running that you (the proverbial you) can discover something so fantastically new about yourself. Excellent work.....and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congrats on the VDOT PB! Sounds like great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

BHAA races are graded so the form asks you to choose your standard, which I decided was level 12 based on recent 5k times. Chatted with Adrian and Wubble Wubble while waiting. Discovered that some obviously faster runners were racing in a standard that suggested they were slower, so began to worry that I might be last, with all the sandbagging that either was or wasn't going on. :D

Well done Denis! Great racing and report. It's a very unique event all right.

Those guys weren't necessarily sandbagging - BHAA members' grades only ever move one grade at a time, either up or down depending on race performance. So if they started on an artificially low standard it could take a year or more of racing for their actual standard to come to the correct level. Most peoples' grades don't really reflect their current standard unless they're racing BHAA all the time.

So it's like a dodgy golf handicap then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Murph, enjoyed reading that.

Don't think WW will be exchanging pleasantries at the start anymore! (Probably more like, "fer fcuks sake, not this auld lad again :))

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff D, enjoyed reading that. Make a Track fairy out of you yet!!!!

Well done D :)

Thu 15 Jun

Recovery 40 mins

Jog to seafront with the mrs. Feeling a little tender today (possibly more to do with the PB beer than the racing).

Fri 16 Jun

Rest

Sat 17 Jun

Tempo: 4m @ HMP

Headed to St. Anne's parkrun for this. Ideally would have gotten in a mile at pace before the event but too late for that, just a warmup then parkrun @ pace followed by a lonely extra mile, which was tough going without any fellow runners to pace off. Legs lively enough but found it hard enough today in the heat. Couple of extra cooldown kms along with the mrs, denis b, aquinn and her beau, P, who seems to have contracted the running bug. Pleasant coffee in the shade. Total for the morning 10.9k.

Splits (approx):
    4:30 4:28 4:37 4:28 4:20 4:30 (4:27)

Sun 18 Jun

Long run 21.5k @ 5:28 (13.2 m @ 8:47)

Joined Ferris and FBOT for a long run out along Dublin Bay South. Place packed with sunbathers - Dubliners certainly know how to sit around when the sun comes out. :p Nice and flat until the lads decided we were tacking on a few hills at the end which fairly knocked the stuffing out. Cooled off with a very cold swim at the Vico bathing spot. Skinny dipping was an option apparently but we decided to spare the locals. Some excellent ice cream before taking the Dart home. Quite the outing!

WTD: 64k (40m)
    MTD: 167k (104)
    YTD: 1,285 (798)

Charleville HM Week 6 of 18

This should be a relatively straightforward week, with nothing to suggest any significant changes/modifications to the plan.

Mon 19 Jun

50 mins recovery @ 6:01/k

Out and back to bull wall. Wore the sunscreen.

Tue 20 Jun

Club session: 4 x [600 (75s), 400 (60s), 200], 2 mins btw sets.

The plan had 4x1200 @ 5k pace but I opted for the club session to be sociable (and because there were no spare lanes for me to do my own thing in). It was a hot evening but really felt good - reps a little fast but very comfortable. Breathing really well. Confidence booster. Total with warmup and cooldown 12.7k (7.9m).

Splits:
    2:19 1:32 0:40
    2:22 1:32 0:42
    2:21 1:31 0:40
    2:25 1:33 0:38

Wed 21 Jun

Rest.

WTD: 21k (13m)
    MTD: 188k (117)
    YTD: 1,306 (812)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I can't believe my friendly greeting from the bike didn't get a look in.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I can't believe my friendly greeting from the bike didn't get a look in.

Oops. There was a niggling feeling I was forgetting something alright. :o

Was nearly ringing the guards for three aul fellas gone missing on Sunday !!!! you three certainly took the long slow run to another level !! Didn't realise getting a swim and an ice cream had to be included as well !!! 3 and half hours !!! 3 and half hours !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Joined Ferris and FBOT for a long run out along Dublin Bay South. Place packed with sunbathers - Dubliners certainly know how to sit around when the sun comes out. :p Nice and flat until the lads decided we were tacking on a few hills at the end which fairly knocked the stuffing out. Cooled off with a very cold swim at the Vico bathing spot. Skinny dipping was an option apparently but we decided to spare the locals. Some excellent ice cream before taking the Dart home. Quite the outing!

I'll just leave this here http://howthaquathon.com/joomla/ ;)

I'll just leave this here http://howthaquathon.com/joomla/ ;)

Ha! By "swim" I mean "brief splashing about before retreating to shore to sit on rocks until body temperature returns to normal" :pac:

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Was nearly ringing the guards for three aul fellas gone missing on Sunday !!!! you three certainly took the long slow run to another level !! Didn't realise getting a swim and an ice cream had to be included as well !!! 3 and half hours !!! 3 and half hours !!!

Purely on impulse, A. It was too inviting to ignore. Not our fault that the Dart is so infrequent and slow.:)

Advertisement