Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Annual recap

I enjoyed my running a lot this year. Raced a good bit more than previously - 10 times on the track, 3 cross country, 13 road. PBs were mostly on the track with the usual improvements you’d expect from a newbie. 2018 was my seventh running year, and despite higher mileage than previously, road PBs were thin on the ground and generally marginal. I seem to have hit a plateau in this area, with a different approach needed, including an injection of HTFU. :rolleyes:

As has become the custom, the year commenced with the Dublin Masters cross country at St. Anne’s. Fourth time doing this, and I had the usual difficulties, but for the first time avoided being lapped. Small victories! A couple of weeks later I had a PB for the mile (5:50) indoors at the NIA, then another in Feb at the same venue for the 800, where I managed a 2:32 - slightly disappointing, but easily my strongest performance yet, with a VDOT of over 54.

First road race of the year was at Dunboyne, where I struggled to a 26:24 for the four miles. I then had a tiny 4-sec PB at the K-Club 10k, although the course was probably a bit long, so happy enough with that. The only other sniff at a road PB was at the Terenure 5 mile, where I equalled my PB from Raheny 2017. (I am deciding that an EPB is still a PB). At the time I was towards the end of a Pfitzinger 5k training block, by way of laying a base for the subsequent Jack Daniels 800m training. The 5k focus didn’t end triumphantly - I ran poorly at the Bob Heffernan, clocking 20:09.

The rest of the summer was all about the track. The JD stuff was gruelling, but I felt I adapted to it well, putting in some really memorable sessions. I knocked a few more seconds off the mile PB (5:46) at a Morton graded meet, a couple of weeks before the main event of the year, the National Masters at Tullamore. I had a very satisfying day, running 2:27 for fourth place in the M55 800m, a substantial PB in the year’s goal race.

I ran well off limited training in the Charleville Half, and although it was a few seconds slower than the previous year, I felt it was a more controlled and satisfying effort, until the lack of distance training caught up with me in the final couple of miles. I put in a decent, if truncated, Hanson block in advance of the New York Marathon - failed to qualify for London (fifth attempt) but it was a truly memorable and emotional race for me. One for the ages, where the time/performance came a distant second to the sheer awesomeness (?) of the event. Brilliant!

It was fun then to have a few weeks left in the year to just do some Winter League and 5k racing. No sub-20, unfortunately, as I continue my habit of backing off in the middle third of the race. The best of the year would be 20:02 at Jingle Bells, and the year ended - appropriately enough on the Morton track - at the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker.

I’ve enjoyed logging it all - I don’t expect to win log of the year or race report of the year, but it means something to be nominated, as I enjoy reflecting on my involvement with the sport and find that logging helps me to process the experience. I learn from other people’s logs: the strengths of others point out where my own weaknesses lie, and I hope mine can be of some use to other runners.

Total miles: 2,014
    Races: 26
    PBs: 11
    Medals: 0
    Craic: mighty ;)

Out with the old, in with the new. Hope 2019 is as good to us all as 2018 was for me. Happy New Year!

469209.jpg

And so to 2019. The main aim this week was to finally achieve a parkrun double, tick over for the rest of the week, then try to put in a decent showing at the Dublin Masters, which would be a tad more fraught that usual what with the Raheny singlet and the home crowd.

Mon 31 Dec

Rest day.

Tue 1 Jan

15.6k inc. St Anne’s / Fr Collins parkrun double

We are almost always in Donegal for the New Year. Not this year, so at last an opportunity for the fabled parkrun double. Took it handy around St. Anne’s in the excellent company of Skyblue. Very crowded, and we took an easy start up to a nice steady second half for a very enjoyable progressive run of just under 24 mins. Joined Killerz, mister paul, and Singer for the two mile jog up to Fr. Collins, then gave the run itself the tempo treatment, moving nicely through the field in 21:40. Felt great for the whole thing. Was feeling a bit chilly and didn’t hang around for long, accepting a lift back to St. Anne’s from Singer. Didn’t realise he’d parked the car a mile away though! :D

Wed 2 Jan

No running.

Thu 3 Jan

8.8k easy

A pleasant few miles at dusk around the local Donegal loop. Just made it back in time. When it gets dark around there and you have no head torch, that’s it - you’re done!

Fri 4 Jan

9k easy/steady

The mrs was doing a session (4x4mins at 5k pace) so I joined her for some moral support. Not the flattest route we could have found and it was difficult, but she did OK when you average it all out.

Sat 5 Jan

Yet another day off.

Sun 6 Jan

Dublin Masters Cross Country

I never look forward to this one - it’s hands down the most competitive race I do every year and I’m usually well back around the bottom 25-30% of the field, which is of course a considerably better indicator of relative ability than the nice numbers that get thrown up by the stats in mass events (NY marathon e.g.), which could have you losing the run of yourself. :pac:

I felt nervous and unconfident in the hours before the race. Although I’ve worn the Raheny singlet in a few events now, I knew there would be loads of support and encouragement out there, and nowhere to hide if it didn't go well. After watching the Shamrock women take individual and team honours in their race, I lined up with the rest of the club’s 45-strong contingent: everyone is encouraged to participate, both before and during the race. ;)

One result of this sociable positioning is that I was starting a good bit closer to the front than previously. I noticed the effect of this on the first turn and all through the bumpy tree section: much less congestion than I’ve usually had to deal with, and the leaders not yet disappearing into the distance over to the right. The pace felt kind of too hot though, and once out in the open I started to lose some places, although I found myself better at holding my own once back in the trees with the forgiving slightly downhill gradient. Over the log and around the noisy end of the tree section before hitting the open ground again up towards the finish. I’d made a mental note that 7 mins would be a decent number to see on the clock at the end of the long first lap, and I was a bit disappointed to be a little over that as we rounded the sharp turn and into lap 2. The support was mighty along here - I made a point of not waving at the crowd this year but I think I heard every call. Inspiring. The going was a bit easier now as the field spread out. Early in the lap I was passed by a number of former clubmates, most of whom I was surprised to see as they usually are a good bit in front. I tried to put this out of my mind, while at the same time (perhaps a little self-defeatingly) trying to keep them in relative proximity for as long as possible. I was passing the odd runner myself, but mostly the field was settling in and I felt like the effort levels were more or less right, with plenty of running still to do. Through the cauldron again and into lap three, misreading the number on the clock and thinking at the halfway point that I was doing pretty OK.

Lap three of any four lap race is probably the most difficult for everyone. My track racing has hardened me somewhat to this reality and while I was feeling pretty awful by now, I was able (in hindsight) to limit the damage - still being passed, losing another four places (if felt like more), but not slowing as much at this stage of the race as I have previously. I never got to the stage of enjoying myself, but I could tell with 500m to go to the bell (was there even a bell this year?) that there was no chance of being lapped by the leaders - again, a sign of gradual improvement as I continue to slowwwwwwly learn how to run this race. Didn’t leave anything to chance though, gunning it up the home straight to make sure, much to the bemusement of the two lads I caught at the gantry before easing off a little and girding my loins for the final push. These two runners would be my focus for the rest of lap 4. Again, super encouragement all the way around. A final ‘keep pushing’ from Dick H as we negotiated the football pitch, with its lonely patch of mud, for the last time. Again, I lost a few more places here and felt I might be doing more to hang on. Instead, I ignored being the target and tried to concentrate on my own few targets ahead. Through the trees and over the log for the last time, I was hanging on and holding my own, I think. There had been the odd bout of dry heaves to contend with since lap 3. I had a good heave going when passing the wonderful supporters before the last couple of turns. (Sorry to have alarmed/grossed ye out, ladies.) :o

The last 200 were the strongest - I clawed back three or four places and passed my immediate targets while emptying the tank. I probably had more in that tank than I should have, but it made for a satisfying finish at least, and when I crossed the line I was as focked as I ever am at the end of this (or any other) race.

Splits: 7:07 6:38 6:43 6:32

173rd place (of 280)
    14th M55 (of 33)
    Time: 27:00

Not even close to scoring for the team - a full 42 places and 64 secs behind our fourth man in. Immediately after, I was a bit deflated. It felt like a poor performance, but a later look at the data give some solace. 17 places better than last year, and a course PB. Maybe there’s something to getting a good start posiiton, even if you suffer the ignominy of losing ground over the course of the race. I’ll get it right eventually. Maybe. ;) Still think I can do better.

Well done to all who ran. Very firm and I suppose favourable conditions for most. Bring back the mud!

WTD/MTD/YTD: 42k (26m)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff D, each lap faster than the one before, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Negative splits are always a positive :)

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great stuff D, each lap faster than the one before, nothing wrong with that.

Except for lap 3! ;)

• Advertisement

Negative splits are always a positive :)

Doubt if it was a negative split - lap 1 is about 250m longer than the rest. But thanks!

This week's goal: 40 miles, inc. the Weds Winter League. A lot of racing lately but nothing longer than 5-6k, and I think I’m just about getting enough recovery in. An experiment, to see if I can get better at racing and stronger at these distances.

Mon 7 Jan

8k easy.

Run commute with Duanington, extended a little out the coast. Signed up for Raheny 5. Got a flu shot for the first time - I’m pretty resilient, but don’t fancy that dose that’s doing the rounds.

Tue 8 Jan

8k recovery.

Run to work. I like living close to town and to the office, but it makes for a too-short direct run commute. Took the long way around via Irishtown.

Wed 9 Jan

Raheny Winter League Round 3 (3 miles)

A big turnout for tonight’s club race, with plenty of guests. A pre-race round of applause for John Fitzsimons of Crusaders, who died this morning after a long illness that he had managed with great dignity, positivity and grace. Without a doubt the most decent runner I have ever met, and that’s saying something. RIP.

During the race I thought of John and the many times he had stopped to chat, offer advice, give encouragement. That helped me to a solid outing, where I made a point of trying to hang on to pace during the second mile, my weak spot in recent times. I used the small group of three that had formed, hanging on quite well until I began to tire in lap three.

Splits (approx): 6:27 6:44 6:47

Finished in 19:58 for 21st place which I’m happy with, for now. ;) Total with WU/CD: 8k

WTD: 24k (15m)
    MTD/YTD: 66k (41m)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Murph_D wrote:
    Run to work. I like living close to town and to the office, but it makes for a too-short direct run commute. Took the long way around via Irishtown.

For some reason, I had it in my head that you're a teacher?!

Nice racing!

Thu 10 Jan

No running.

Fri 11 Jan

Rest day.

Sat 12 Jan

16.7k easy.

Out and back along the Dodder to Clonskeagh, timed to miss the rugby crowds.

Sun 13 Jan

Joined aquinn and headed to Phoenix Park for 10 easy miles. Enjoyed the company, and the Park was full of runners. Knew a good few, according to Strava, but managed to miss them all. Visitor centre for coffee and scone. Few miles short this week but no harm.

WTD: 57k (35m)
    MTD/YTD: 99k (62m)

This week’s goals: 40 miles, club session, back-to-back weekend LRs, a bit longer than last week’s 10 milers. These last because I’ll be heading to Donadea next month, but not putting too much pressure on myself to do the full 50. Few laps for the tee shirt. Maybe.

Mon 14 Jan

8.1k @ recovery.

Extended commute home. I’m a bit bored with the route already - too similar to all those runs to and from Irishtown over the years. Must find a new passage across the Liffey! Also - getting browned off dodging pedestrians. Must find lesser travelled streets.

Tue 15 Jan

6k easy. Commute to work with a detour to Phibsboro to get some paperwork signed. Multitasking. ;) Lunchtime sports massage, Thai style, at a place someone had recommended - Massage on a Barge in the Grand Canal Basin (sounds a bit dodgy but I assure you it’s legit!) The therapist used hands, feet, knuckles, elbows and I felt like I’d gone a few rounds with Katie Taylor by the time it was finished. TbL would approve - none of your aul body polishing here. Found it hard to stay awake when I got back to the desk.

Wed 16 Jan

Club session: 7x600 (70s standing recovery)

Jogged out to the Bull Wall for my first ever official Raheny session. Legs (and everywhere else) still feeling a bit wrecked after yesterday’s massage. I got there just in time for the dynamic warmup. Not many familiar faces, but GH (withcheeseplease, an occasional poster here) said hello, and we talked Boston marathon for a bit (he's doing it). It was pretty dark, but the eagle-eyed coach spotted me and asked a couple of questions before assigning me to group 2. There was no group 3, unfortunately. The session was 8x600 on the grass, with a tight enough turn at the far end. The group was pretty big, and I found it hard to judge the pace. Normally I’d be looking at 2:20-2:25 or so for 600s on the track. Felt tougher on the grass, and the distance is probably not too exact. But this was an unfamiliar group and it was hard to judge, without well known faces to pace off. So even from the back, these were definitely too fast, and in the Raheny tradition I was politely invited to sit out a rep (the fifth). I didn’t argue. At least it meant the coach was keeping an eye on everyone, which was reassuring. It made the next rep relatively easy, but again I overdid it and by the end of the final 600 I was a good way behind everyone else, and properly bunched.

Splits (approx): 2:18 2:19 2:22 2:24 2:16 2:25 2:29

It’s a pity there weren’t a few more of my standard, but it was a good session with a good bunch and a good atmosphere. Jogged home, which was a bit too far - cold and hungry. 13.5k for the evening.

WTD: 27k (17m)
    MTD/YTD:127k (79m)

• Advertisement

Thu 17 Jan

6.3k commute from town. Recovery pace. Went the long way round via Capel Street but still less than 4m.

Fri 18 Jan

3.1k easy.

Back to work, the short way.

Sat 19 Jan

19.3k steady.

Nice out and back to Sutton at steady pace (around 5:00/k). Really enjoyed this. Beautiful still afternoon, and the just felt really good - simplest way I can describe it!

Sun 20 Jan

19.3k slow

I knew this would be tiring after yesterday so tried to pick a route that would keep me mentally stimulated. Decided on some free-range running, denisb style. ;) Into town via Smithfield and over to the Liberties. Discovered why the Coombe hospital is not on the actual Coombe. Across Newmarket Square to Blackpitts and then the SCR to Harrington St, Adelaide St., Harcourt Terrace, all of which have many magnificent buildings to admire. Near Ballsbridge, I turned into the mythical Raglan Road and a large fox wandered out of a garden and crossed the street, totally ignoring me. I was pretty bunched by the time I turned for home and headed back through the city centre and then had to run around the neighbourhood a bit to make up the 12 miles. But an enjoyable run nonetheless, with some history and geography learned. :)

WTD: 75k (47m)
    MTD/YTD: 109k (97m)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thu 17 Jan

6.3k commute from town. Recovery pace. Went the long way round via Capel Street but still less than 4m.

Fri 18 Jan

3.1k easy.

Back to work, the short way.

Sat 19 Jan

19.3k steady.

Nice out and back to Sutton at steady pace (around 5:00/k). Really enjoyed this. Beautiful still afternoon, and the just felt really good - simplest way I can describe it!

Sun 20 Jan

19.3k slow

I knew this would be tiring after yesterday so tried to pick a route that would keep me mentally stimulated. Decided on some free-range running, denisb style. ;) Into town via Smithfield and over to the Liberties. Discovered why the Coombe hospital is not on the actual Coombe. Across Newmarket Square to Blackpitts and then the SCR to Harrington St, Adelaide St., Harcourt Terrace, all of which have many magnificent buildings to admire. Near Ballsbridge, I turned into the mythical Raglan Road and a large fox wandered out of a garden and crossed the street, totally ignoring me. I was pretty bunched by the time I turned for home and headed back through the city centre and then had to run around the neighbourhood a bit to make up the 12 miles. But an enjoyable run nonetheless, with some history and geography learned. :)

WTD: 75k (47m)
    MTD/YTD: 109k (97m)

That Sunday route sounds lovely! Would you be tempted to come down to the club for the Sunday run? I did 12.5 miles slow with a group form the club yesterday - you could have come too! *shamrock emoji*

Absolutely - I've done a few Sunday runs with the club. Not the 8am which is a little early for me, generally meeting a smaller group at 9am, if that's the one you're talking about! I usually keep an eye on WhatsApp to see who's doing what, and if it suits, I'm there. Sometimes I prefer to do my own thing too. See you there for sure one of these days. :)

Absolutely - I've done a few Sunday runs with the club. Not the 8am which is a little early for me, generally meeting a smaller group at 9am, if that's the one you're talking about! I usually keep an eye on WhatsApp to see who's doing what, and if it suits, I'm there. Sometimes I prefer to do my own thing too. See you there for sure one of these days. :)

9am, you say - why most of us are nearly finished by then :p I'm old-school and do the official 8am one.

Your Liberties run sounds great, though.

This week: Winter League Round 4, followed by Raheny 5. The goal is simply to run the races well.

Mon 21 Jan

Rest.

Tue 22 Jan

Watch-free commute, about 8k easy.

Wed 23 Jan

AM: 3.2k slow commute. Brrr!

PM: Winter League Rd. 4 (2 mi) - 17th in 12:52

I felt very unenthusiastic about the prospect of tonight’s 2-miler. Considered skipping it altogether but then again I’d canned last night’s session to allow for the race so that would have been a waste. So I pulled on the gear and headed out, arriving in time for a short but fairly invigorating dynamic warmup that had me feeling a bit better about the prospect of racing.

About 66 runners tonight. Brief chat with Skyblue who has just joined the club - welcome, S! He mentioned his coach’s advice to ease into it over the first 800 which sounded good to me, so I knew he was probably just over my shoulder for most of the race as I didn’t spot him in front. As the field settled over the first half mile, I pulled alongside K, who usually goes out at a sensible pace and pushes on well later. I knew he’d missed a few weeks with a flu and might be takeable in the later stages if I stuck with him, so that was the strategy sorted for lap one anyway. I sat in, sharing the workload, ignoring the watch, which I couldn't see anyway. I sensed the pace might be a little slow, but resisted the temptation to push on too early and risk getting steamrolled by K in the second lap, as had happened in one of the earlier races. FBOT was on the timer and called 6:32 at halfway. I wouldn’t be happy with anything over 13 mins for the night so this was in the right range, and as we headed down alongside the Howth Road for the second time I sensed K starting to blow a bit harder as we picked off a couple of stragglers and made the turn onto All Saints with about 1k to go. There was some company from behind by the sound of it, and we absorbed another flagging runner just before I pushed to the front of the little group, getting the better line through the series of mini-roundabouts so K would have to go the long way around if he got a second wind. At the final turn I made a break for it, taking a good line through the slight bend and pushing hard through the finish.

Splits (approx): 6:32 6:20

Pleased with that. Wasn't passed once the race had settled, and the push through the last stages was satisfying. Nice night for a race - cold but windless, unlike the previous 2-miler. Cooled down with another easy lap accompanied by our newest member. Total for the evening: 6.5k

WTD: 18k (11m)
    MTD/YTD: 127k (108m)

Best of luck tomorrow D, run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Have a great run today Murph. Pity you won't have Sean to keep you honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Have a great run today Murph. Pity you won't have Sean to keep you honest :)

Oh he doesn't need me at the moment! Great running today D. Absolutely nothing wrong with two PBs in a week. You're in a rich vein of form! :)

Thu 24 Jan

5.6 commute. Definitely feeling last night’s effort.

Fri 25 Jan

3k easy to work. Didn’t do any more as the right knee is protesting a little.

Sat 26 Jan

Rest. Trip to Waterstown parkrun with Sanctuary Runners, who welcomed us warmly and generously. Lovely morning. Didn’t run as had volunteered, although in the end I wasn’t needed so just wandered around the course taking a few pictures.

Sun 27 Jan

Raheny 5 (PB)

Two years since I’d last run this race. Even though PBs have dried up a bit of late, regardless of current form I am always hopeful and assume that a PB must be on - yes, getting older every year, but also more water under the bridge, more mileage, more racing experience, etc. I’d equalled that PB struggling at the Terenure 5 last year, but my memory of the 2017 Raheny 5 is of a near-perfect mid-pack race. I’d started well, dug in, pushed on, and finished strong: everything you’d ever ask of yourself, and something that hasn’t happened that often since. So to better that by any margin at all, despite all the water under the bridge, would be perfectly fine.

Made the most of local knowledge - aquinn had picked us up and driven out, and we directed her to our secret parking spot, which is in a far more obvious place than you would think. ;) We were in good time and left our bags in the school hall, where I bumped into Ferris and joined him for a short warm up around the local roads. Left him to remove his extra layers (including, as it would turn out, several kilos of sandbag) and headed for the start and bumped into Singer, so joined him for a few strides on Wade Avenue. We then we took up a decent enough position not too far back from the start - an appropriate spot, and why not - we were fully 15 mins away from the start when we took our places in the rapidly filling pen.

On the gun, there was some congestion but Singer was doing a good job cutting through the crowd so I did my best to follow his path for the first km - delighted to see the split coming in right where I had planned at 4:15. I’d be happy to keep that kind of pace over the opening 3k - a gentle enough start but a suitable platform from which to attack the race during the business end. And so it transpired, as the field looped back around past the start area and onto All Saints Road, so familiar from the recent Winter League efforts. I was working with Singer’s Cru clubmate, C, who’d rinsed me out during the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker, but would prove a good marker for the first half of the race. There was some wind to content with in spots, but it didn’t see too debilitating - thankfully, as I’m reasonably tall and can’t aways find a good candidate to hide behind. The race passed fairly uneventfully until about halfway, after the turn onto Mount Prospect Road, where I came across Ferris, obviously unencumbered by the 38-min sandbags he’d allocated himself in the days leading up to the race. I grunted a hello as I drew alongside, and he expressed what appeared to be genuine surprise to see me alongside, even though by my own reckoning I was exactly where I wanted to be at this point of the race.

Ferris encouraged me to power on, and for a brief period I did, before glancing at the average pace (a couple of secs under the 4:12/k target) and realising that there was no need (yet) for any heroics. When he drew back alongside I told him I was ‘in good shape’. He took the hint and pushed on. It was the moment when I had to make the decision to stick with the plan or get into a race with someone who hasn’t been running much over the past while. Maybe I paid Ferris too much respect, but I was happy enough - there were a few other targets around anyway who’d do a perfectly good job of keeping me motivated. As I (ruefully) let him away, I looked instead at a couple of former clubmates in the vicinity, and concentrated on them instead. Passed one. Another, B would prove to be a powerful motivator through the final stretch of road before St. Anne’s, and indeed well into the park until we hit the Avenue. There were so many shoutouts around here that there was no point in trying to be stealthy. Helenanne was in front, looking strong, so to pass helped me feel strong too, especially as I was able to power past B at almost the same time, all of this taking place while the hurt was definitely setting in before the 180 turn with just over a mile to go. I could see on the turn that I hadn’t lost any of these passed runners yet and would have to work over the closing mile. But like last time, I drew strength from familiarity with the park, even sort of enjoying the normally difficult little drag up past the dog run, confident by now that I’d probably done enough to PB. Would still have to hang on, of course. DD had given a bit of encouragement at this difficult section of the course, and on exiting the park I actually found the closing stages less endless than in previous years: still tough going, but the third-last turn, around the little park, didn’t seem as impossibly far away as it can when you are really struggling. Shout out from kennyg here, encouraging me to take a few more scalps. You could see and hear and smell the finish by now. Second last turn, and another shout from laura just before the final right. I had something for these closing stages, further motivated by the sight of the clock counting down, well under the previous time.

Splits: 6:48 6:45 6:29 6:47 6:34

Official 33:23, a PB of 30 seconds exactly. So a good day. Cooled down with a couple of quiet kms in St. Annes’s, delighted with myself. ;) Great to relax for a race postmortem and a few pints then in Raheny Village before being kindly driven home by FBOT. Total for the day: 11.1k

Previous PB: 33:53 (Raheny 2017, Terenure 2018)

Target: <33:50
    Actual: 33:23
    549th place (of 3,871)
    11th M55 (of 124)
    VDOT: 49.1
    Age grade: 76.4%

Verdict: Yep!

WTD: 38k (24m)
    MTD/YTD: 132k (97m)

Thu 24 Jan

5.6 commute. Definitely feeling last night’s effort.

Fri 25 Jan

3k easy to work. Didn’t do any more as the right knee is protesting a little.

Sat 26 Jan

Rest. Trip to Waterstown parkrun with Sanctuary Runners, who welcomed us warmly and generously. Lovely morning. Didn’t run as had volunteered, although in the end I wasn’t needed so just wandered around the course taking a few pictures.

Sun 27 Jan

Raheny 5 (PB)

Two years since I’d last run this race. Even though PBs have dried up a bit of late, regardless of current form I am always hopeful and assume that a PB must be on - yes, getting older every year, but also more water under the bridge, more mileage, more racing experience, etc. I’d equalled that PB struggling at the Terenure 5 last year, but my memory of the 2017 Raheny 5 is of a near-perfect mid-pack race. I’d started well, dug in, pushed on, and finished strong: everything you’d ever ask of yourself, and something that hasn’t happened that often since. So to better that by any margin at all, despite all the water under the bridge, would be perfectly fine.

Made the most of local knowledge - aquinn had picked us up and driven out, and we directed her to our secret parking spot, which is in a far more obvious place than you would think. ;) We were in good time and left our bags in the school hall, where I bumped into Ferris and joined him for a short warm up around the local roads. Left him to remove his extra layers (including, as it would turn out, several kilos of sandbag) and headed for the start and bumped into Singer, so joined him for a few strides on Wade Avenue. We then we took up a decent enough position not too far back from the start - an appropriate spot, and why not - we were fully 15 mins away from the start when we took our places in the rapidly filling pen.

On the gun, there was some congestion but Singer was doing a good job cutting through the crowd so I did my best to follow his path for the first km - delighted to see the split coming in right where I had planned at 4:15. I’d be happy to keep that kind of pace over the opening 3k - a gentle enough start but a suitable platform from which to attack the race during the business end. And so it transpired, as the field looped back around past the start area and onto All Saints Road, so familiar from the recent Winter League efforts. I was working with Singer’s Cru clubmate, C, who’d rinsed me out during the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker, but would prove a good marker for the first half of the race. There was some wind to content with in spots, but it didn’t see too debilitating - thankfully, as I’m reasonably tall and can’t aways find a good candidate to hide behind. The race passed fairly uneventfully until about halfway, after the turn onto Mount Prospect Road, where I came across Ferris, obviously unencumbered by the 38-min sandbags he’d allocated himself in the days leading up to the race. I grunted a hello as I drew alongside, and he expressed what appeared to be genuine surprise to see me alongside, even though by my own reckoning I was exactly where I wanted to be at this point of the race.

Ferris encouraged me to power on, and for a brief period I did, before glancing at the average pace (a couple of secs under the 4:12/k target) and realising that there was no need (yet) for any heroics. When he drew back alongside I told him I was ‘in good shape’. He took the hint and pushed on. It was the moment when I had to make the decision to stick with the plan or get into a race with someone who hasn’t been running much over the past while. Maybe I paid Ferris too much respect, but I was happy enough - there were a few other targets around anyway who’d do a perfectly good job of keeping me motivated. As I (ruefully) let him away, I looked instead at a couple of former clubmates in the vicinity, and concentrated on them instead. Passed one. Another, B would prove to be a powerful motivator through the final stretch of road before St. Anne’s, and indeed well into the park until we hit the Avenue. There were so many shoutouts around here that there was no point in trying to be stealthy. Helenanne was in front, looking strong, so to pass helped me feel strong too, especially as I was able to power past B at almost the same time, all of this taking place while the hurt was definitely setting in before the 180 turn with just over a mile to go. I could see on the turn that I hadn’t lost any of these passed runners yet and would have to work over the closing mile. But like last time, I drew strength from familiarity with the park, even sort of enjoying the normally difficult little drag up past the dog run, confident by now that I’d probably done enough to PB. Would still have to hang on, of course. DD had given a bit of encouragement at this difficult section of the course, and on exiting the park I actually found the closing stages less endless than in previous years: still tough going, but the third-last turn, around the little park, didn’t seem as impossibly far away as it can when you are really struggling. Shout out from kennyg here, encouraging me to take a few more scalps. You could see and hear and smell the finish by now. Second last turn, and another shout from laura just before the final right. I had something for these closing stages, further motivated by the sight of the clock counting down, well under the previous time.

Splits: 6:48 6:45 6:29 6:47 6:34

Official 33:23, a PB of 30 seconds exactly. So a good day. Cooled down with a couple of quiet kms in St. Annes’s, delighted with myself. ;) Great to relax for a race postmortem and a few pints then in Raheny Village. Total for the day: 11.1k

Previous PB: 33:53 (Raheny 2017, Terenure 2018)

Target: <33:50
    Actual: 33:23
    549th place (of 3,871)
    11th M55 (of 124)
    VDOT: 49.1
    Age grade: 76.4%

Verdict: Yep!

WTD: 38k (24m)
    MTD/YTD: 132k (97m)

Glad to be of service 😀. Well done!!

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Glad to be of service &#55357;&#56832;. Well done!!

Likewise!

Well done on the PB D, nice way to kick off the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great running and a very enjoyable race report! Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

This really is a smashing run Denis, congrats and well done. I saw you 3 times during the race, at the start ( you looked a little frazzled), on the way up the avenue ( you looked like you were working but working well) and coming over the little bridge before the doggy playground - you looked like you meant business there.

Consistant training paying off and its great to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

That was a really great run. Congrats on the PB. No doubt the PB pints went down well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Very nicely done, that's a great PB to get and lovely way to kickstart 2019. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I love reading your race reports, i'm always amazed at the level of detail you remember! Well done, super running and a much deserved PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB D.
    Are u running Donadea this year?

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB D.
    Are u running Donadea this year?

Cheers, J. I’m planning to go out and do a few laps anyway. Seriously doubt that I’ll do it all.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I love reading your race reports, i'm always amazed at the level of detail you remember! Well done, super running and a much deserved PB.

Ha - this one is easier as I’m so familiar with the territory. Apart from that it’s just a few key moments of passing people (or being passed!)
    eyrie wrote: »
    Very nicely done, that's a great PB to get and lovely way to kickstart 2019. Congratulations!

Thank you very much. It’s a great course for a PB, no doubt about it.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    That was a really great run. Congrats on the PB. No doubt the PB pints went down well!

They certainly did - the late afternoon timing provides an ideal opportunity for a rare (marathons excepted) post-race beverage. Its certainly a treat, especially with the friendly Raheny crowd. ;)
    Duanington wrote: »
    This really is a smashing run Denis, congrats and well done. I saw you 3 times during the race, at the start ( you looked a little frazzled), on the way up the avenue ( you looked like you were working but working well) and coming over the little bridge before the doggy playground - you looked like you meant business there.

Consistant training paying off and its great to see it

Thanks D. The support was noted and appreciated. Frazzled start is a good way of putting it - probably a bit wary of the congestion although it was fine once past the 1m mark. It’s over very quickly after that!
    Great running and a very enjoyable race report! Congrats on the PB.

Thanks A. Its all connected to Hanson. :) You seem to be getting on well with it too.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done on the PB D, nice way to kick off the year.

Certainly is, B. Hopefully there’ll be a few more. Not a patch on your own podium though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats D on a great run, PB and report. Bodes well for a great year.

Advertisement