Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation - Spontaneous Movement

Options
  • 28-05-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey people,

Just looking for a little advice.

Was meditating this morning, sitting outside on a chair, sunshine was great, and my head started rolling around spontaneously. If I asked you to roll your head around, you might roll it clockwise, anti-clockwise, side to side etc. That's kinda what it did.

Now it wasn't very strong. It was spontaneous, I was completely conscious and could have stopped it without a problem. I didn't as it was quite pleasant but I did slow it down at times as I've had a neck injury before. It wasn't disturbing and kind of stopped of its own accord. This is the first time it's happened.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone before?

P.S. I've no formal training in meditation. I have been meditation for about a year, but not overly regularly. I really just focus on my breathing until I don't have to anymore.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
    Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I had the same head rolling experience... but after two hits of morphine. Your post sounds like a weird experience, mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It sounds like you might be possessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

the devils in you boy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gravity121

Well Done lads,

Clearly the most logical explanation is I'm possessed. Pat yourselves on the back for that one.

I'd appreciate it though if anybody with experience in meditation could reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

gravity121 wrote: »

I'd appreciate it though if anybody with experience in meditation could reply?

Never personally experienced it but it is common. Using certain mudras might help keep your focus more on posture etc which might keep the movements at bay

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm not familiar with this particular movement but it reminds me of the ideomotor effect where the body can make small unconscious movements which build in intensity. In your case the movement increased as you became aware of it.

I can move this to spirituality where meditation gets discussed more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

have you any spinal injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gravity121

Thank you Tasden and Oryx,

Yes, move it please if you feel that it's more appropriate elsewhere. I wasn't sure where to post it.

Wicklowrider, about 3 years ago I had a herniated disc in my neck, it's generally fine now. Currently though, I'm having issue with my lower back. Haven't isolated the issue yet. Hurt it playing football.

Ta,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It could be either stress been release or Kundalini (sp?) energy or consciousness passing through your body. Don't fight it just let it flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

gravity121 wrote: »
    Wicklowrider, about 3 years ago I had a herniated disc in my neck, it's generally fine now. Currently though, I'm having issue with my lower back. Haven't isolated the issue yet. Hurt it playing football.

Ta,

I would speak to a Doctor and explain exactly what happened - this may be related to the compression. Spasm movements can be caused by compression when the person is fully relaxed - like falling asleep or just before waking. A qualified opinion now might save you trouble in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement