Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send fat people to slimming classes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The primary reason appears to have been the smoking ban, along with phasing out small packs. Prices always went up, although now they seem to be rather expensive in comparison to previously, all that did was drive demand for a black market. Secondly there's no advertising and is very rarely portrayed in the media. Shops can't even display them now either. For that less people are taking it up.

What difference is that going to do on a multi-pack of chocolate bars and a six pack of coke?

Limiting the number of takeaways means nothing when you can order for delivery.

That's why any tax would need to be backed up by other programs. The idea is that you tackle the problem holistically and the issue is one of normalisation. By bringing down the normalisation, you bring down the problem.

Of course there's not going to be as much of an easy solution as a ban like for smoking but we have to at least try to tackle these problems and trying every approach and seeing what sticks is the best approach in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Tarzana wrote: »
    If they put a premium on essential foods, now THAT would be wrong.

Like water?

Why should a healthy person who (probably) pays more to eat "healthy" foods be penalized if they fancy a pizza for the first time in a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Can just imagine in a few years if they bought in a sugar tax. Walking down Moore ztreet and instead of the usual tobacco and cigarettes whispers it will be

Sugar...anyone for sugarrrrrrr

We will be hearing about sugar busts at Dublin port, reports of containers with up to 30 million worth of sugar being confiscated.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Can just imagine in a few years if they bought in a sugar tax. Walking down Moore ztreet and instead of the usual tobacco and cigarettes whispers it will be

We will be hearing about sugar busts at Dublin port, reports of containers with up to 30 million worth of sugar being confiscated.

Are you really just a former fat person who now looks down their nose at someone ordering burger, Cheese fries and milkshake? You examine other peoples lunches?

Daith wrote: »
    Are you really just a former fat person who now looks down their nose at someone ordering burger, Cheese fries and milkshake? You examine other peoples lunches?

Please show me a single post here here where i have looked down my nose at anyone.

• Advertisement

Please show me a single post here here where i have looked down my nose at anyone.

Sure

Do you judge other peoples eating habits?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Cue the fat kids getting the skinnier kids to buy their sweets for them.

Indeed. Taxing food is daft though, you can overeat and get fat on pretty much anything.

Sure

How is a light hearted comment about sugar being smuggled into the country considered "looking down my nose at people"? :rolleyes:

How is a light hearted comment about sugar being smuggled into the country considered "looking down my nose at people"? :rolleyes:

It was less the smuggling but more the

comment.:rolleyes:

It was less the smuggling but more the

comment.:rolleyes:

Ahhh i see

So you have probably never walked down Moore street in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Rather than dreaming up endless new ways of slapping ordinary people around, I suggest the powers-that-be dream up a couple of ways to stop asshole food producers stuffing things full of sugar and labelling the result "low-fat", thus creating a whole generation of obese people with Type 2 diabetes who can't figure out why they're like that.

Ahhh i see

So you have probably never walked down Moore street in Dublin.

Yes I have :rolleyes:

I tend not to mimic people though...

But do you judge peoples eating habits as a former fat person?

Yes I have :rolleyes:

I tend not to mimic people though...

But do you judge peoples eating habits as a former fat person?

So taking the piss out of the dealers accents as a light hearted attempt at humour offends you?

Why would i judge someones eating habits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Whats wrong with high fat or high carb? If i need to complete my macros for the day why the fook should i be penalised for people that have no self control?

High fat can be good, except if it's trans fat sh1t which is what is contained in a lot of junk food. High carb, simple carbohydrates in high amounts are absolutely worthless. Hells, we tend to overeat the complex kind too.
    Heres a better idea, add tax to a product on the fly based on how overweight that person is.

No, because just you're thin doesn't mean you're healthy. If you eat a lot of junk food, you're probably not, no matter what size you are.

Yes it is.

OK then. :)

You have your view and you won't be swayed from it and I'm not going to hang around here all evening trying to do that. I gave you an idea of what junk food means. It's not my job to convince you. There a whole world of information out there.

I will say this though: NOBODY requires sugar in their diet, not a single person. A little bit is fine, but it's in no way a requirement. So, nobody has differing requirements on that. We *all* don't need it. We want it though. Clearly.

you can overeat and get fat on pretty much anything.

Pretty hard to do it with broccoli though. :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Rather than dreaming up endless new ways of slapping ordinary people around, I suggest the powers-that-be dream up a couple of ways to stop asshole food producers stuffing things full of sugar and labelling the result "low-fat", thus creating a whole generation of obese people with Type 2 diabetes who can't figure out why they're like that.

Now this would be good.

But sadly we live in a world where the US classed pizza as a vegetable a few years so that it could still be served in schools. I hate food industry lobbyists. THAT'S who Bill Hicks should have ranted about...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/18/pizza-vegetable-congress-says-so

High fat can be good, except if it's trans fat sh1t which is what is contained in a lot of junk food. High carb, simple carbohydrates in high amounts are absolutely worthless. Hells, we tend to overeat the complex kind too.

No, because just you're thin doesn't mean you're healthy. If you eat a lot of junk food, you're probably not, no matter what size you are.

High simple carbs are absolute fine, as is high fat or low fat if you choose. Isolating meals like that is just crap, it doesnt take into account peoples overall comsumption.

Junk food is a very loose definition, i can easily fit a McDs into my intake and still remain lean. Why should i be taxed on that?

I think it just comes down to
    1) a blanket tax will be unfair on some.
    2) excess food makes you fat, not "junk" foods.
    Pretty hard to do it with broccoli though. :pac:

Yup, I'd do it just to shut someone up though :pac:

High simple carbs are absolute fine

In tiny amounts.

The best metric for deciding if something is junk food is its nutritional value. Junk food is a highly palatable nutritional desert.

Excess foods make you fat. You'll get there quicker with junk food than anything else though. Much quicker. Not just because of its calorific content, but because as said above, it's hyper-palatable, it's designed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,220 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

2 simple steps...

1) education of kids whilst in school with regards to what is in food and what effects it has - will benefit the future

2) reduce portion sizes - will benefit immediately

• Advertisement

In tiny amounts.

The best metric for deciding if something is junk food is its nutritional value. Junk food is a highly palatable nutritional desert.

Excess foods make you fat. You'll get there quicker with junk food than anything else though. Much quicker. Not just because of its calorific content, but because as said above, it's hyper-palatable, it's designed that way.

Simple carbs are not junk though and have their place in a huge variety of diets.

Say you define junk as > 90% simple carbs. Companies will just reduce the content to 89% to avoid the tax. You aren't addressing the root issue which is that people are eating too much.

Simplecarbs are not junk though

They have no nutritional value and you can get energy elsewhere, so they are surplus to requirements.
    Say you define junk as > 90% simple carbs. Companies will just reduce the content to 89% to avoid the tax. You aren't addressing the root issue which is that people are eating too much.

Oh, I agree, food companies will get around it. They're feckers. :) But it's like a quick fix that might work in conjunction with longer term measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,094 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Considering physical fitness issues are often preventable, and they are being treated by an NHS, then I feel like their qualification to receive NHS care may depend on their willingness to maintain satisfactory progress in personal responsibility, no?

I mean as a college student I can get cash from the government to learn, but not only do I have to pay that **** back eventually, but they also measure SAP - satisfactory academic progress. If you don't meet the SAP requirement youre flagged as a waster ie. moocher and kicked off the funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Good point. It's all fine and well to be self-righteous about it but, well, the problem isn't going away! So, it would be better to figure out why it's happening. I do love when people of a healthy weight bang on about discipline, as if being overweight is the only way lack of self-discipline manifests itself. :pac: It's the most visible way though, and people loooove to feel superior so it's an easy target.
    Go into any supermarket and observe what many people are putting into their trolley.
    Processed food, high sugar content, snacks, confectionery, soft drinks, alcohol and more alcohol. Often the kids are chunky like the parents.
    I know enough of people who had weight issues finally get a grip, significantly reduce their calorie input, exercise a little more, and to their amazement the pounds melt away.
    Personally, I go through a phase of lucozade and 5-6 chocolate bars/day, and hey presto, my belt won't close. Time to cut the crap food, methinks and the waist size is back to normal.
    No need for studies or excuses. You're fat because you eat incorrectly. Time to take a little personal responsibility and stop looking for someone to blame.

Go into any supermarket and observe what many people are putting into their trolley.
    Processed food, high sugar content, snacks, confectionery, soft drinks, alcohol and more alcohol. Often the kids are chunky like the parents.
    I know enough of people who had weight issues finally get a grip, significantly reduce their calorie input, exercise a little more, and to their amazement the pounds melt away.
    Personally, I go through a phase of lucozade and 5-6 chocolate bars/day, and hey presto, my belt won't close. Time to cut the crap food, methinks and the waist size is back to normal.
    No need for studies or excuses. You're fat because you eat incorrectly. Time to take a little personal responsibility and stop looking for someone to blame.

Whoosh. Completely missing the point. And neatly illustrating the thrust of my post too.

There's no denying lack of discipline is an issue with most overweight people. However lack of discipline does not just manifest in overeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

There's no denying lack of discipline is an issue with most overweight people. However lack of discipline does not just manifest in overeating.
    We're talking about overeating, nothing else.
    One overeats, one gets fat, and a host of other problems. Whether or not one's mother hugged one less in childhood is beside the point. One is fat because one overeats.
    Solution? Cut back on your calorie intake and exercise.
    Or get a gastric band. Don't expect me to pay for your over indulgence.
    Now, I had a large coke and two starbars an hour ago, so I'm off on the bike for some exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have now dropped from 225lbs to 195lbs
    How many stone is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

This might be of interest to some here, broadcast this week, Tuesday 27th..

Amusingly, a person on the show, poo-poo-ing criticism of a certain soft drink, is challenged, with rather delicious timing, by Sean Seán O'Rourke, about being an 'adviser for Nestlé'..

---

RTÉ Radio 1 - Today with Seán O'Rourke
    The Great Sugar Debate - 27 May 2014 13:00

http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2014/0527/20140527_rteradio1-seanorourke-thegreatsu_c20586285_20586293_232_.mp3

(links directly to the Podcast .mp3 - Right click > Save Link As...)

..or, browse the Podcast listings for: Today with Sean O'Rourke

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_seanorourke.xml

---

'Slimming' is a grotty word/way to approach obesity, because just losing weight, without exercise, is accepting you've finished a puzzle properly, with a few painfully obvious pieces missing.

The problem is in your head.. and the feedback you get from empowering yourself through a better physique, better stamina, better endurance, may feed back into, and cancel out, anxiety issues, which may be at the root of compulsive eating.

biko wrote: »
    How many stone is that?

2 stone 2 lbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Stop them gorging themselves and make em walk 10 miles a day.

troll harder, to obvious
    A refusal means no NHS treatment.

yeah, great idea, works so well, oh wait, so what do you do with them then if your not going to treat them because your so self righteous? where we stop at refusing treatment? disabled? those who become injoured? rethink

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement