Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview any use with UPC basic??

• 27-05-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

I have a UPC internet connection which I'm also getting a basic television service off - I don't have a set top box or anything like that. I was wondering if I got a saorview set top box would I have more stations and would I be able to do things like record TV?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Discussion of Saorview normally falls in the terrestrial forum. However its probably best to point out a few things here.

The first thing to note is that the Saorview signal is not transmitted along the UPC cable. It is a terrestrial or "over-the-air" signal transmitted from 2RN's (RTÉ's) transmitter network. You would need an aerial - depending on your location a "rabbits ears" (set top) aerial may suffice, but it may not work and you may need an external (roof top) aerial.

The second thing to note is what extra channels you would get and whether this would justify your investment. You already have the majority of the Saorview channels - RTÉ One, RTÉ Two, TV3, TG4, and 3e. The three extra channels you would receive on Saorview would be RTÉ News Now, RTÉjr, and RTÉ One+1. However, if your TV has HD you will be able to receive RTÉ One and Two in HD which you do not on UPC analogue. Even on other channels the Saorview signal will be sharper than analogue. If you buy a Saorview+ box you can record, but they are generally more expensive again.

If you get Saorview it is important to remember that only the 8 Saorview channels will come through the Saorview box and you will need to switch back to analogue for the likes of BBC, UTV, Channel 4, Sky One, and Sky News. Your will not be able to record these channels through the Saorview+ PVR. There is a possibility that the new UTV Ireland will join Saorview next year but this is not yet confirmed.

It is up to you whether you think the three extra channels - composed almost entirely of simulcasts and repeats - or the access to RTÉ in HD justifies the outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Thanks for the detailed reply. Please move this thread if necessary.
    You've given me a few things to think about alright. I was mainly thinking of recording world cup matches. Are there any particular areas in Dublin that need an external aerial for saorview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

newmember? wrote: »
    Are there any particular areas in Dublin that need an external aerial for saorview?

Signal strength for Saorview can vary from location to location, house to house, room to room etc., difficult to say which type of aerial will work best for you. You could test with a cheap indoor aerial but these can be prone to local interference, an attic aerial might also work but the transmission network recommend an external aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

The Cush wrote: »
    Signal strength for Saorview can vary from location to location, house to house, room to room etc., difficult to say which type of aerial will work best for you. You could test with a cheap indoor aerial but these can be prone to local interference, an attic aerial might also work but the transmission network recommend an external aerial.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bilbot79

newmember? wrote: »
    I have a UPC internet connection which I'm also getting a basic television service off - I don't have a set top box or anything like that. I was wondering if I got a saorview set top box would I have more stations and would I be able to do things like record TV?

Are you also paying for the basic channels or is it just happening anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Are you also paying for the basic channels or is it just happening anyway?

The legacy analogue channels are still carried on cable for approx 45,000 analogue TV subscribers. If you have a UPC connection to the house for internet or digital TV the channels can be tuned in on your analogue TV/VCR/DVD recorder.

UPC no longer offer an analogue TV subscription package

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88414136#post88414136

Advertisement