Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription Shades

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

paulgs wrote: »
    I saw Cuesta Raggio glasses on Ribble, have never heard of the brand name before, but they have polycarbonate photocromatic lenses for 40 bucks and the prescription insert for €5.

I checked with specsavers and they will fit standard single vision lenses for €45 so you are all sorted for under a €100.

Did you get these. I ordered some yesterday hope to have them next week, but just wanted to get an opinion on them.

Specsavers and vision express are both expensive and have to wait weeks so this is my compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

darkvalley wrote: »
    Have not tried them yet but these prices are much better than the Oakleys
    http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11,17

I contacted optilabs on the phone the other day and found them very helpful. Going to order a pair off them next week.

I'm using these at the moment.http://www.bunneysbikes.com/products/XLC-Bahamas-Prescription-Cycling-Sun-Glasses.html
    They usually last me about a year but for that price I bought a couple of pairs so I have plenty of spare parts. Come with 3 coloured types of lenses.
    prescription lenses for them cost me about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did you get these. I ordered some yesterday hope to have them next week, but just wanted to get an opinion on them.

Specsavers and vision express are both expensive and have to wait weeks so this is my compromise

They are on the list, I would be interested to know what they are like though.

I'll let you know how I get on so. Ordered on Friday, and dispatched today at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've been squaring this particular circle for ages now and have been into most every opticians in Dublin. There is a general paucity of interest and expertise in this segment of the market for whatever reason, certainly outside of the Oakley range, which are fabulous I'm sure but very strongly priced.

I am probably going to go ahead with an optilabs order myself, although there is one more opticians in Maynooth who put a flier for prescription eyewear under my windscreen wiper while I was doing the ROK which I'm going to try as well.

But. In the meantime, I went to specsavers to check out contacts and ended up going through the usual eyetest hoops and then succumbed to their 2 for 1 glasses deal as usual. While I was there I asked about cycling eyewear and they showed me the usual sample specs with the inserts which I wasn't interested in, and then lo and behold one of them pulls a prescription set out of a drawer and says "Or we have these actually". I think they were like 129 euro or something full price but as I got my one pair and my free pair I was entititled to 50% off sunglasses, so I got three pairs of glasses for 220 quid, which made these about 60 quid in the grand scheme of things and I have to say they're grand altogether.
    They're quite wrap aroundy, but there's none of the fish-bowl artefacts that lots of opticians wooo (spookily) about, and they're dark enough but not too dark. They cut the glare but don't get dangerous after 6pm dusk or anything like that.

Worth a look if you're not entirely sure about purchasing eyewear online. Personally I like to feel and see and try on things like specs, or pants. :)

Here are some pics anyway. It was from Specsavers Tallaght I got them.
    specs2.png

specs1.png

[IMG][/img]specson2.jpg

specson1.jpg

• Advertisement

My Cuesta Raggio sunglasses and insert arrived yesterday. Got them down to specsavers and was able to get them done and included in a 2 for 1 deal so got regular shades and these done for 89.

They're a bit fiddle to get the insert in at first, but stays in secure. Did the job for 50 km this evening. Not as good as I imagine some specs, but do the job fine.

I later suggested to someone thinking of opening a shop to consider stocking them if they can get an agreement on with some opticians too.

I didn't get the photochromatic ones, but I'm impressed enough to order them I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Update on my specs above after a weeks riding. They're great. Best bit of kit I've bought in ages. The stay tight to my face on the drops on bumpy roads and they're plenty big enough do I no longer have to go around with a scrunched up nose and face to keep them "up" so that I can see ahead through rather than over the lenses.

Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Got a pair similar to ones on Ribble website as mentioned previously on AliExpress€10.78! got lenses fitted for €30 very happy and work well although haven't been out in the rain yet

Advertisement