Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rcbo. How often should you test it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I put the damaged shower on this thread as an interest piece. What I really wanted to know was how often the rcbo should be tested. Not only have you answered this but several of you have pointed out that a notice should be left at the fusebox. This will be our practice from today.
    Again thank you. I do appreciate all your input. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Looks more like water / moisture damage than heat damage
    Yea it does, and brushes of universal motor eroding faster than normal coating all over the inside of the shower

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Looks more like water / moisture damage than heat damage

Remember that according to the OP the shower went on fire:
    The cover was on fire. Home owner said this repeatedly. They insisted small flames came out of the hole in the cover around the pump area. If you smelt it you'd know. Picture melted cables at the connection block, now multiple the smell by 100.
    I stress the Cooper terminals on the element are not rusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea it does, and brushes of universal motor eroding faster than normal coating all over the inside of the shower

The insides of tritons that black is very common as brutal says due to the brushes.
    My money is on moisture in conjunction with maybe loose connection on terminal block if there has been melting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Maybe cover should have been included in the photos. I know the main question was about the RCBO though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Any chance the fault was in the incoming cable behind the wall?

I suspect the "flames" were hot debris spit out by the motor.

lastly, is there any question about who is paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

whizbang wrote: »
    Any chance the fault was in the incoming cable behind the wall?

I suspect the "flames" were hot debris spit out by the motor.

How are these two suggestions related?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Sorry, just realised this thread is a week old,

just random thoughts...

Also, plenty of showers out there not wired into RCB....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

No need to apologise to me, the motor could be a source of ignition though.

Advertisement