Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended protein requirements

Options
  • 21-05-2014 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I am 163 pounds, male and I do weight lifting 4 times per week for an hour. Can anyone tell me my recommended protein requirements for gaining lean muscle? is this correct?

163 x 0.55 = 89.65 grams per day

I eat chicken and fish and eggs for breakfast. I supplement this with 3 whey protein shakes (with 40 grams of protein in each shake).

By my calculations, I'm going way overboard.. Am I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I try to eat about 160g a day...does me no harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Generally people say to get in about 1g/lb so by that you should be getting in 160g. This is overshooting a bit but it will do you no harm. I would recommend getting the majority of it through food but again no harm in the addition of whey shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Generally people say to get in about 1g/lb so by that you should be getting in 160g. This is overshooting a bit but it will do you no harm. I would recommend getting the majority of it through food but again no harm in the addition of whey shakes.

The literature seems to point to about 1.2-1.6 g/kg is required, any more will be used as energy. The supplement company's and athletes/body builders who are sponsored by supplement will recommend more for money making purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

fungie wrote: »
    The literature seems to point to about 1.2-1.6 g/kg is required, any more will be used as energy. The supplement company's and athletes/body builders who are sponsored by supplement will recommend more for money making purposes.
    This is overshooting a bit but it will do you no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd still rather go needlessly over than a little under.

This is also why I eat all the pies.

EDIT: Whoops, mini-necro. Oh well, welcome back May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The literature seems to point to about 1.2-1.6 g/kg is required, any more will be used as energy.

Aiming a bit over allows you a buffer incase fail to hit your goal for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

im a leave this here -

31127236.jpg

protein requirements are only one part of the overall picture of creating the calorie surplus needed to gain muscle, carbs and fat are needed also.

Its pointless calc protein and getting adequate amounts but then not eating enough TOTAL calories to create an excess needed.

so basically at your current height (i guessed to 5ft 10, so you might post it up), activity, male, and weight would give you a requirement of about 2,700 cals per day

this breaks down per day and over 5 meals to -
    270g carbs per day, 54g per meal
    203g protein/day and 41g/meal
    90g fat/day and 18g/meal.

Side note - I have no idea why people pay "online coaches" to pay for these calculations.

So overall your protein requirements are important but the biggest macronutrient that i see people falling down on when trying to gain muscle is actually carbs and just not eatting enough full stop.

All above calculations would change if your height and activity were drastically different obviously.

saying "i do weight lifting 4 times per week for an hour" worries me also as suggests time in the gym is a predictor of progress and not are you now squatting and deadlifting at least 1.5 times body weight after about 1-3years of training or at least moving in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Transform wrote: »
    Its pointless calc protein and getting adequate amounts but then not eating enough TOTAL calories to create an excess needed.
    Absolutely.
    Calories balance is is single most important factor. People get hung up on timing, supplements, and other minute details.

Mellor wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    Calories balance is is single most important factor. People get hung up on timing, supplements, and other minute details.
    yup defo - this Helms_Pyramid.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think I remember Mike Israetel saying that the calories and macros account for about 80-90% when he was on SNR.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

yup defo - this Helms_Pyramid.png

I like how there's a little Dominic in the corner of the pyramid there.

Zillah wrote: »

Eric Helms says "Hi"

I think I remember Mike Israetel saying that the calories and macros account for about 80-90% when he was on SNR.
    yup that was one of the best and most confirming lines ive ever heard when it comes to nutrition

Zillah wrote: »
    that aint me chief, face for radio here

yup that was one of the best and most confirming lines ive ever heard when it comes to nutrition

It is a top, top podcast

As an aside, the standard of people Danny gets on podcast is off the hook.

big time, and i think its grown and grown over time.

His seminar next weekend will be outstanding and its why ive worked very successfully with him in the past.

link - https://sigmanutrition.leadpages.net/seminar-august/

My brain went into a giddy spasm when he announced it after the webinar. ..until I realised I couldn't go. All the sadness.

My brain went into a giddy spasm when he announced it after the webinar. ..until I realised I couldn't go. All the sadness.
    ah he will do more in the future so catch the next one

Advertisement