Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So when are people letting the hounds out ? Mine are looking like they need a top up

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

dashoonage wrote: »
    So when are people letting the hounds out ? Mine are looking like they need a top up

Waiting for a run of dry days

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I could try turn it into a snow plough

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Got an Ambrogio last September elite+. So far so good been in hibernation since Christmas. Can’t wait to get it back on the lawn. Any questions shoot away.
    Hey Bedouin79, have you slopes if so how is it working out on them?

caddy16 wrote: »
    Hey Bedouin79, have you slopes if so how is it working out on them?

The lawns pretty level very gradual slopes but the transition between the 2 lawns has near 45degree rise (it was the only place to cross without going on the drive) the robot had no problem at the start few damp Irish days and it started to dig in and eventually got stuck s wheel spinning on rock it’s exposed. I now have a small patch of gravel in that area and it’s fine. Long term I’m thinking chicken wire laid flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    The lawns pretty level very gradual slopes but the transition between the 2 lawns has near 45degree rise (it was the only place to cross without going on the drive) the robot had no problem at the start few damp Irish days and it started to dig in and eventually got stuck s wheel spinning on rock it’s exposed. I now have a small patch of gravel in that area and it’s fine. Long term I’m thinking chicken wire laid flat.
    Sound very similar to mine. I would prefer not to go across driveway but to connect 2 lawns otherwise I’ve a similar slope to overcome. I guess there’ll be a bit of trial and error. Thanks for feedback.

caddy16 wrote: »
    Sound very similar to mine. I would prefer not to go across driveway but to connect 2 lawns otherwise I’ve a similar slope to overcome. I guess there’ll be a bit of trial and error. Thanks for feedback.

No problem at all, I plan to tackle my lawn and that area in the best few weeks. Will post a pic before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mines out nearly all the time. ... I.e on a 3 day working week.

I only turn it off if it's snowing tbh.

Only problem has been a slug munching on the base station transmitter board.

The mower itself is flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi I am thinking of making a shelter for my Ambrogio 250i mower to enclose the charging station. Do I need to worry about blocking any signals to the mower from the station if using metal or timber? Any photos of diy shelters would be appreciated. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of making a shelter for my Ambrogio 250i mower to enclose the charging station. Do I need to worry about blocking any signals to the mower from the station if using metal or timber? Any photos of diy shelters would be appreciated. thanks

Why bother?

It’s rated/designed for outdoors use. It will not significantly reduce the chances of it being stolen and unless you have a keen eye for design probably won’t look any better.

So, what benefit do you see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

Finally decided on a Gardena smart Silena 750.
    Has all the features I want such as dual start point, smart connectivity and decent price, about €900 + delivery. Guessing that'll be approx 200 from Germany going by a few posts back. Will order it next week.
    The grass has really kicked into action over the last few weeks. Hasn't seen a mower since October with the weather and is in bad need of one. Was sorely tempted last week as it was bone dry several days, bud not with the cold temperatures about.
    Need to sharpen the blade on the regular mower this week and service it, oil etc.
    Getting tarmac down on the driveways in a couple of weeks. Will leave the boundary wire install until that's done as surely someone will snag it.

Grass will need mowing a couple of times with the regular mower to civilize it ahead of the robo mower anyway.
    Looking forward to not having to mow all summer, frees up 1 to 1.5 hrs a week, depending on whether I had to just mulch cut or gather the grass if it had gone too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

KCross wrote: »
    Why bother?

It’s rated/designed for outdoors use. It will not significantly reduce the chances of it being stolen and unless you have a keen eye for design probably won’t look any better.

So, what benefit do you see?

I'll be doing similiar for mine when I get it for several reasons.
    Even though it's weatherproof, no harm in keeping the worst off it. Also a good idea to keep strong sunshine off it to prevent bleaching of the colour.
    Mostly though it adds an extra layer of security, for me that means the kids can't easily go messing with it when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

paulbok wrote: »
    I'll be doing similiar for mine when I get it for several reasons.
    Even though it's weatherproof, no harm in keeping the worst off it. Also a good idea to keep strong sunshine off it to prevent bleaching of the colour.
    Mostly though it adds an extra layer of security, for me that means the kids can't easily go messing with it when not in use.

You can’t keep the sunshine off it really as it will be out and about for alot of the day.

Mine has been in the sunshine for 7 years now. It’s fine.

I don’t get the security element either. If it’s going to be robbed it will be robbed regardless of whether it has a hut or not. Again, it’s freely roaming the lawn for hours on end. If someone sees it and takes a shine to it they will rob it regardless of it being in a cover that night.

The keypads on them are usually pin protected so the kids can’t mess with it either.

Each to their own I guess.

I got this before brexit, bit of mechano set to put together but held up well through winter. The mower has been indoors keeping warm though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08DFJY167?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

There’s a guy on DoneDeal building them to measure repurposed dog house but look fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I was advised if considering making a shelter not to use metal as it can cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

I was thinking that metal might affect the signal from the charging unit to the mower but then the ambrogio mostly uses the guidewire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shaneoman1983

So about to take the plunge on a robot mower.

Have 2 unconnected sections of grass to mow.

The ground is flat and kerbed.

First one is 2500m2
    Second one is 900m2

I'm just looking for some advice on;

- Where to buy
    - online vs local dealer (is there much of a saving)
    - Then Maybe a Husvarna or the Ambrogio for the 2500m2 section
    - what to go for - I thinking of the Landroid for the smaller section (from myrobot.eu)
    - is the installation difficult?

I would be very interested in people's thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BIMMERAG

Has anyone had any recent experience post Brexit of purchasing from myrobotcenter.eu ? Im just wondering if there has been any issues with delivery or additional charges added lately as this seems to be the best route for me to go for a 430X. I dont see any (reputable) sites that are offering Ambrogio mowers similar to the 430X, if anyone has any info they would like to share about sourcing one of these online id appreciate it before i push the button on the 430x. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Great thread, looking to get a robot mower this spring. I have 2 non linked gardens, front and back. the front is 400sqm and the back is 300sqm. Front has a small slope and back is level.

I was thinking of a Worx Landroid, Yardforce or Gardena.

Is it possible to get 1 mower with 2 charging bases. I have no issue moving the mower between gardens.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I must have a read of this thread. Looking to get a mower this Summer and there isn't a whole lot of reviews or info out there from what I can see. Very limited videos, a lot of the mowers aren't available or aren't even reviewed (on the budget end at least)

I'd be looking to spend €500-700, less if possible. Seems Amazon DE is one of the better options.

Rear garden only, 70m². Don't want an actual mower as it's a small garden and don't want a shed or storage unit. Seems you have to spend out if you want edge cutting, it would be good to not need a strimmer but not the end of the world if I have to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Seems you have to spend out if you want edge cutting, it would be good to not need a strimmer but not the end of the world if I have to get one.

Even with edge cutting I find I still need to strim a few areas but there are other options. In my front lawn I have a Worx s300 that does a great job, the edges that it misses I use a bit of roundup when the growth is obvious and use some mulch to cover the strip after, its only a couple of centimeters and I pour directly from a bag so it takes no time at all. It lasts the whole season so saves on future strimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

More or less settled on a Worx M500 or M700. Does anyone know any Irish shops or hardware centers selling them?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

slayer91 wrote: »
    Hi,

More or less settled on a Worx M500 or M700. Does anyone know any Irish shops or hardware centers selling them?

Regards

I have seen both of them in B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Hi All,
    Was putting my automower out today for its first run and the base station LED is flashing blue!
    I found the connection between the guide wire & boundary and redid this but the LED is still flshing blue. I checked it with an electrical meter and the loop is ok between the guide wires & boundary wires. Loop resistance is 2ohms.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Boundary wires crossed ?

I've the hounds out a week now. Lovely afternoon reading a tom clancy book in my conservatory watching my lawns being cut for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Omar Devone Little

I bought a AMBROGIO twenty elite late last year. I think it was out for one day.

I was going to put it back out today but there’s a storm on the way again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Boundary wires crossed ?

I've the hounds out a week now. Lovely afternoon reading a tom clancy book in my conservatory watching my lawns being cut for me :)

Nope, tried that and linked out the 2 guide connections and still no joy!
    Another trip to the dealer!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

Let my fella out a week ago but needless to say he was in most of the week. Even after a few half days he put a lot of manners on the lawn 👌. 3rd season with a 430x and delighted. Tempted to buy the automower house..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Omar Devone Little

staples7 wrote: »
    Let my fella out a week ago but needless to say he was in most of the week. Even after a few half days he put a lot of manners on the lawn 👌. 3rd season with a 430x and delighted. Tempted to buy the automower house..

I bought a dog kennel for half the price. Looks way nicer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Gardena taken out of the attic today after winter hibernation and back in his charging station.

Advertisement