Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

whippet wrote: »
    they are an absolute waste of time - I got a set and never bothered to replacement them as the made no difference.

Get the better wheels - made a big difference for me; but be careful if you have any tight turns on the guide wire as they may cut up the grass at that pinch point in wet weather - I needed to smooth out the guide wire route

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/parts-accessories/installation/terrain-kit/581889702/?q=967853003

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My Worx M1000 landroid was delivered from myrobotcenter today. Ordered on May 8th, so about 10 days.

Looking forward to having it set up! (not so much looking forward to setting it up....)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Thanks for the reply. I did indeed, the price online is 3600 and there was 2 companies who quoted for the sale and installation. One was saying they would do the installation for "free" but the mower was 4k and then I'd have to pay for the wire which was between 150-400 I think depending on the wire type, so realistically 4,400. The other one was 4500.
    I can get the same "expensive" 3.4mm wire for 190 online, or 2.7mm installation kit for 160. So all in about 3800/3850 which saves 550-650.
    Might take me a few days and I'd be pegging it as I could be changing the layout over the next few months to year.

How much was yours with installation??
    E30i wrote: »
    Hi
    I have this model and purchased locally a little over a year ago. Happy with the price, perform ance and installation. I'd say we have similar sizes. Did you get an all inclusive local price for comparison? I'd stress I have no link or commercial interest either way but I would like to have the local backup if not a huge difference in the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

Hi, I've asked this before on this but no one gave me any feedback...I have a 430x running with 2 months now on 2,100 sqmtrs...its searching time is around 6% to find the charging station..how does that compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

murfler wrote:
    Hi, I've asked this before on this but no one gave me any feedback...I have a 430x running with 2 months now on 2,100 sqmtrs...its searching time is around 6% to find the charging station..how does that compare?

450x. 3.6% searching time.
    I have 2 guide wires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

450x with 2 guide wires - 4.3%
    310 with 1 guide wire - 4.4%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

315X with no guide wires (fairly square lawn) but with a lot of obstacles - 12.9%.
    It does seem to be reducing though since it was installed a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

430x 4.1%
    I have the delay time to find guide wires set to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

430X cutting ~1200m2 with 2 Guide wires installed - 3.7%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

430x cutting 2500 sq meters - 2 guide wires U shaped lawn, 5.1% search time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

315x with no guide wires on a fairly complex garden - only installed 2 weeks 22.1% but this is reducing as GPS learns. For the first week it was around 60% search time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

6.3% for a 430x on a 2200m U shape garden with 1 guide wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lawnmowerman

Cyrus wrote: »
    ok folks i am going to re lay my boundary wire as i couldn't find the break. can i test the circuit with a 10cm loop before i start (to make sure its not something else).

Also i had the wire buried but the placement wasnt perfect so may surface lay it this time and bury later. what mower height is high enough that it wont chop the wire (flymo 1200r but same as the entry level husqys i think)

thanks all

I had a break in my wire , found it no problem by attaching a cattle electric fencer to end of wire {if you don't have one borrow one from a friendly farmer .} It made a loud sparking sound at the break
    . I know you have sorted by now but someone else in trouble might see this

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lawnmowerman

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Hello,

Has anyone seen any shop renting a wire laying machine to use for a 430x?

I think its better to lay wire yourself as you can really be particular positioning . Its a slow job but its worth taking a bit of time at this job to do it right and help minimise strimming afterwards . get the loan of a walk behind mower if you don't have one and scalp the edge really low first before pegging down wire and grass will hide wire in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭joebre

I think its better to lay wire yourself as you can really be particular positioning . Its a slow job but its worth taking a bit of time at this job to do it right and help minimise strimming afterwards . get the loan of a walk behind mower if you don't have one and scalp the edge really low first before pegging down wire and grass will hide wire in a few weeks

Installed cable overground yesterday for 315X.
    Mower ran through several cycles with no problems.
    Then got error "No loop detected"
    While trying to find a friendly farmer, can anybody confirm that it is a cable break or could it be something else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

joebre wrote: »
    Installed cable overground yesterday for 315X.
    Mower ran through several cycles with no problems.
    Then got error "No loop detected"
    While trying to find a friendly farmer, can anybody confirm that it is a cable break or could it be something else ?

Do you definitely have power going to base station?
    Any leds lit or flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

You can use an AM pocket radio to trace the break, might be easier to come by then an electric fence pack. Look it up on YouTube, I had a break early on, cable got slack on a spot and mower wheel turning on it lifted it up and then it drove over it cutting through the cable.

Bought a ten pack of the gel joiners after that on Amazon, only had to use two so far, the other was when I cut through it with an angle grinder when shaving off a bit of kerb that the mower has to travel over, put the grinder down on the grass after cutting, must've been still spinning cause next I looked the cable was cut, doh!

Got is sorted. Reckon the snap-on spade connectors were not connecting properly. Got a couple of regular spade connects and gave them a good squeeze with pliers. Got in working again.

Tried to force start now after full charge. Eco mode was on. Set to Off and saved. It still says "Eco mode on-no loop"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Got is sorted. Reckon the snap-on spade connectors were not connecting properly. Got a couple of regular spade connects and gave them a good squeeze with pliers. Got in working again.

Are the ones you got waterproof?

KCross wrote: »
    Are the ones you got waterproof?

No expert but probably not.
    The ones that were supplied made a poor connection.
    Maybe I will try them again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

I've used these (recommended on YouTube):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SurePromise-Sleeves-Electrical-Terminals-Connectors/dp/B01MTXVGJY/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=heat+shrink+wire+connectors+red&qid=1590307745&sr=8-16

I think you can only use them once so unless you have spares?

I used the ones that came with the mower and they haven’t given me any trouble in 6 years now.

They need to be waterproof and the originals have a gel in them to keep moisture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Lawn of the second hand house that I bought a few months back is in and around 520sq.m (front, back and one side). Front and back are separated by a timber fence along the side. Fairly level but a little bumpy. Heavy grass and needs a good weeding.

Advise on robotic lawnmower appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

The ones to go on to the charging station are terrible, they don't fit properly at all. These don't need to be water proof as they are under the cover within the station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Lawn of the second hand house that I bought a few months back is in and around 520sq.m (front, back and one side). Front and back are separated by a timber fence along the side. Fairly level but a little bumpy. Heavy grass and needs a good weeding.

Advise on robotic lawnmower appreciated.

With the likes of the Worx Landroid, how do add additional boundary wire? Where is the best place to locate the base unit? Can it be placed on a footpath along a wall? Are they safe around kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Folks, after spending another 3 hours cutting my lawn with a push along as my 3 year year old ride on failed again I think its robot mower all the way now. I have a few questions if its ok, I did a few searches but after an hour I though I would chance a question or 2.

I have complex multiple (2) lawn's with lots of raised beds randomly placed, trees and kids climbing frame, from research the Husqvarna 430x (or 450x) are best suited for the task due to GPS, any other realistic (cheaper) options?
    Is it worth importing a Husqvana 430x (or 450) from Germany (thanks to links on here) for €800 cheaper than a local supplier can supply it for?
    Are there issues with warranty?
    I have a exposed front lawn to the public in a country lane, are these are target for being stolen?
    I have 2 lawns of 2600 sq meters in total that the mower would need to navigate and curbs that I would have to ramp, the local supplier is pushing a 450x which is significantly more expensive. Is this the right option as in theory its more suited to twice the size of lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

krissovo wrote: »
    Folks, after spending another 3 hours cutting my lawn with a push along as my 3 year year old ride on failed again I think its robot mower all the way now. I have a few questions if its ok, I did a few searches but after an hour I though I would chance a question or 2.

I have complex multiple (2) lawn's with lots of raised beds randomly placed, trees and kids climbing frame, from research the Husqvarna 430x (or 450x) are best suited for the task due to GPS, any other realistic (cheaper) options?
    Is it worth importing a Husqvana 430x (or 450) from Germany (thanks to links on here) for €800 cheaper than a local supplier can supply it for?
    I have a exposed front lawn to the public in a country lane, are these are target for being stolen?
    I have 2 lawns of 2600 sq meters in total that the mower would need to navigate and curbs that I would have to ramp, the local supplier is pushing a 450x which is significantly more expensive. Is this the right option as in theory its more suited to twice the size of lawn?
    I've a similar size lawn and was split between the 430x & 450x, after researching I'm going to go with the 450x - seems to be safer to oversize. Will mean less time out cutting. I'm going to go with the German website when I order later in the year - have a look online installation isn't too difficult.

paul-2008 wrote: »
    The ones to go on to the charging station are terrible, they don't fit properly at all. These don't need to be water proof as they are under the cover within the station

Yea, those are poor alright.

Maybe I misunderstood joebre, i thought he was talking about the connectors for the guide wire or fixing breaks etc. Those are the ones that need to be waterproof as they are in the ground.

• Advertisement

Folks, after spending another 3 hours cutting my lawn with a push along as my 3 year year old ride on failed again...

:) That focuses the mind, doesnt it!

Most of the others have GPS as well, if you go for the higher spec models. 430x should be fine as it is spec'd for 3200m² which is more than you need.

Its a european warranty so you should be good, but obviously the service you get from your local dealer will depend on how busy they are and their attitude. They might decide to put you on the long finger over someone who bought from them but ultimately they have to fix it if something goes wrong under warranty.

Potentially but its very rare. They are useless to anyone that robs them as they are PIN protected so cant be used by anyone else unless they scrap it or have an inside man at a dealership that can unlock it for them.

It doesnt seem to happen anyway, not to say it cant though!

I've a 3000m² lawn and the 430x can manage it. At 2600m² I cant see why you would need a 450x. It will do it quicker as it travels faster than the 430x but if its a substantial price difference I'd pass. The 430x will be fine.

Advertisement