Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Jbb18 wrote: »
    I bought a Husqvrna 420 Automower 10 days ago. It was working for almost a week before the Automower Connect SIM was installed and paired with my phone.
    The past day the mower has been stuttering causing a knocking noise. Tonight it stopped moving altogether (after jittering for a moment).
    Has anyone had any trouble like this by any chance?

Any error messages or warnings on the app or the display panel on the mower?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sod asking the internet. straight back to the shop with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Agree, back to the shop.

I’ve mine switched off until the grass starts to grow again. Not fair to send him out in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

Jbb18 wrote: »
    I bought a Husqvrna 420 Automower 10 days ago. It was working for almost a week before the Automower Connect SIM was installed and paired with my phone.
    The past day the mower has been stuttering causing a knocking noise. Tonight it stopped moving altogether (after jittering for a moment).
    Has anyone had any trouble like this by any chance?

have a quick check of the blades … if one is broken the imbalance can sound terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

searay wrote: »
    Agree, back to the shop.

I’ve mine switched off until the grass starts to grow again. Not fair to send him out in the heat.

mine has been off for over a week and apart from a few straggling stems there has been practically no growth

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    mine has been off for over a week and apart from a few straggling stems there has been practically no growth

I had mine off for a week but while the grass hasn't grown, the clover and daisies have flown up. So I raised the cutting height slightly and sent it out to do its worst, hopefully it will reduce the weeds a bit before they set seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We are considering a Viking iMow MI 632.

Any thoughts / experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

dec2000 wrote: »
    Have a Husqvarna 430x with a blue flashing light. Just had a look earlier with a multimeter and basic continuity test, it beeps when I touch the end of the left and right wires, which I assume means there is no break? When I touched the receiver it sits on, there was nothing, so cleaned them, changed the connector and played around with them until the left and right receivers beeped, assuming full signal going around?

But still flashing blue....started to rain and match was coming on so abandoned it, anything I can check for tomorrow?
    Forgot about this post so just putting up a summary in case anyone else runs into the same issue:

-         The continuity I was getting was actually between the base, not going all around the perimeter.
    -         You can use an AM radio which causes interference when passing over the cable. It got weak at one point and stopped so dug the cable up around that area, there was a join
    -         All looked ok, no breaks or anything wrong with the join but disconnected the join, reconnected it and back to a Green light.

No idea what happened / caused the issue but can confirm the AM radio trick works, even though I was sceptical that it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ElectronicFur

Hi,
    I'm planning to buy the Husqvarna 430x.
    I have an area of lawn that is lower than the rest, by about 40cm. Slope down is about 45 to 60 degrees. Will I need to put boundary wire round the top and bottom of this section, or can the 430x detect such a drop, and stop itself going down or up it?

Also I have some trees with circles of lawn around them, with about a 5cm drop to soil. Can the 403x handle these or should I put boundary wire around them?

Also how does the 430x deal with pine cones?

Advice much appreciated, as I couldnt find a manual to download, or anything related in the faq on the Husqavarna website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Ginger83 wrote: »
    We are considering a Viking iMow MI 632.

Any thoughts / experiences?

I've had one now for about five weeks - so far, so good.

I looked mostly at Husqvarna, but went for Viking in the end simply because there's a local dealer in my area who's reliable and I'd trust for after-sales support, but there's no Husqvarna dealer nearby.

I've about a 700m2 lawn. I'd have gone for the lower spec 422P model which would have been sufficient, but the 632 was available at the time for the same price, because of a stock shortage of the other model.

It's been going fine for the last few weeks, programmed to mow for just eight hours a week, which is what is indicated would be needed for the area. The current dry weather makes it hard to judge what it would be like in more typical conditions, but I'm satisfied so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Hi,
    I'm planning to buy the Husqvarna 430x.

Also how does the 430x deal with pine cones?

Advice much appreciated, as I couldnt find a manual to download, or anything related in the faq on the Husqavarna website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4etAYu9rc8
    have a glance

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I am new to the automower Husky 450x brigade.
    There is not much grass for it to cut these days but there are weeds (small thistles, docks etc...) poking higher and i would expect the mower to top them. It does not seem too efficient with them. Are the blades too light (standard husky ones that arrived) or will multiple passes sort them out? Is there any benefit to upping to the heavier blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ElectronicFur

Thanks, I watched the installation video, but still unsure how the Automower copes with slopes that are too steep. Will it just not go up/down them, or will it get stuck and I should put boundary wire to stop it going near them?

An example of the slopes in my garden:

i65.tinypic.com/1z5i4c8.jpg
    i66.tinypic.com/25a3nr4.jpg

And the trees with circles:

i65.tinypic.com/21nl8iu.jpg

I'm asking because I cant try it out at the moment, as I my Automower order has been delayed, but I was already sent the installation kit. So I'd like to set up the boundary wire so I'm ready when the mower arrives. As it would take quite a bit of extra boundary wire to mark out the sloped area it would be good to know if it is necessary or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ginger83

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I've had one now for about five weeks - so far, so good.

I looked mostly at Husqvarna, but went for Viking in the end simply because there's a local dealer in my area who's reliable and I'd trust for after-sales support, but there's no Husqvarna dealer nearby.

I've about a 700m2 lawn. I'd have gone for the lower spec 422P model which would have been sufficient, but the 632 was available at the time for the same price, because of a stock shortage of the other model.

It's been going fine for the last few weeks, programmed to mow for just eight hours a week, which is what is indicated would be needed for the area. The current dry weather makes it hard to judge what it would be like in more typical conditions, but I'm satisfied so far.

Thanks for your reply. We have 2 lawns approx 1200m2 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

Thanks, I watched the installation video, but still unsure how the Automower copes with slopes that are too steep. Will it just not go up/down them, or will it get stuck and I should put boundary wire to stop it going near them?

I'm asking because I cant try it out at the moment, as I my Automower order has been delayed, but I was already sent the installation kit. So I'd like to set up the boundary wire so I'm ready when the mower arrives. As it would take quite a bit of extra boundary wire to mark out the sloped area it would be good to know if it is necessary or not.

I would put a boundary wire around it if I were you. I have a similar looking slope and tried with boundary first. It ended up getting stuck trying to come down over it so had to put boundary wire around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GLENNFALLON

Any know over what period of time should I start lowering the cutting height. Grass is lookig good again after the recent hot weather. My Automower is at cutting setting 8, and I want to get down to 3.

Any know over what period of time should I start lowering the cutting height. Grass is lookig good again after the recent hot weather. My Automower is at cutting setting 8, and I want to get down to 3.

3 is pretty tight. I never go below 5 but that's my preference. I usually lower it 1 setting at a time once the grass is growing well in late spring, then give it a week or so before lowering it further until I get to the level desired. I think dropping it too quickly would stress the grass too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GLENNFALLON

Thanks Zzippy, I'll drop it one a week and I will stick to 5 for awhile and see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Difficult to tell from your photos, but the slopes you refer to look more like a bank from where a ditch was cleared with a very narrow area on top. I think the mower would struggle to get over it.

You could consider clearing part of the bank to join the lawns and mark off the slopes.

On the area around the tress, you should put down top soil to bring the lawn up above the roots. It won't be good for the mower to hit the roots. I had an area like that and once it was tidied up, the grass came on much better with the regular mowing.

I think it would be worth your while getting the supplier to install the boundary wire. they may have better solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I don't have an autonomous lawnmower but skim through this thread every so often and keep an eye on them. Looks to be a good price on the McCulloch ROB 1000 today. Spotted on HUKD here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0Y4IK7?tag=22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Note that price is without wire or pegs and joiners. One always need these 3 items and note that some prices have these in the price quoted. So always match like for like. Also whilst rated, up to 1,000 sq m that means around 500 sq m really. A third point is their is little info on the battery, Li-ion?
    Sorry not being negative a good shout at a keen price for small/med lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭islander222

So I've had my first major issue with my Huski 310. I only have it since the spring and I went to change the timer on Saturday but when prompted for the pin none of the numbers on the left column of the keypad would work. Result was that I couldn't enter a pin code successfully so the alarm went off... as a last resort I shut down the unit using the power button underneath and the alarm stopped (not a very good thing really!!). Turned it back on again but it is no longer cutting as per the timer so I guess I'm stuck until I bring it back to the dealer? Any other ideas?
    My big fear now is that I'll be without the mower for an unacceptable length of time while its fix or some parts are shipped... coming into a week of strong growth that is not good.
    Does anyone know if there is anything I or the dealer will be able to do in the meantime to get the mower going again without having to "wait" for parts or for someone to come from Huski to fix it?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Water John wrote: »
    Note that price is without wire or pegs and joiners. One always need these 3 items and note that some prices have these in the price quoted. So always match like for like. Also whilst rated, up to 1,000 sq m that means around 500 sq m really. A third point is their is little info on the battery, Li-ion?
    Sorry not being negative a good shout at a keen price for small/med lawns.

**It includes 200m wire and 200 pegs.

I have a Rob 600 (capacity 600m2) working on an area 650m2 and it is coping well so far since installed 6 weeks ago (but with limited growth).

I have ordered a Rob 1000 earlier this week to replace above and will move the Rob 600 to a separate 500m2 area.

McCulloch is a Husqvarna company. Husqvarna is referenced on the unit in several places and in the manual.

The unit/keypad etc very similar in appearance to Husky 105/310. Cutting unit appears the same also.

Battery is a Husqvarna battery etc. (in my unit). I have a third lawn area and will probably buy another one of these for this.

That's good news for me, Bawnmore and Peppa. Two might well suit me too.
    One lawn is around 350 and the other is under 500.
    Thanks for the info.
    Checking through it's great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

That's good news for me, Bawnmore and Peppa. Two might well suit me too.
    One lawn is around 350 and the other is under 500.
    Thanks for the info.
    Checking through it's great value.

Glad it might be of use to somebody here!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I was wondering, does anybody knows what happens if you put a lawnmower designed for smaller gardens into a larger garden?
    I can get a good deal on a 2nd hand flymo 1200r. I heard that this is designed for a smaller garden but ours is relatively large.
    Do they just refuse to cut, cant find their way back to base, or just take ages to cut?

I can live with the taking ages to cut, but the other two outcomes could be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

I was wondering, does anybody knows what happens if you put a lawnmower designed for smaller gardens into a larger garden?
    I can get a good deal on a 2nd hand flymo 1200r. I heard that this is designed for a smaller garden but ours is relatively large.
    Do they just refuse to cut, cant find their way back to base, or just take ages to cut?

I can live with the taking ages to cut, but the other two outcomes could be a deal breaker.

It'll just be out cutting a lot more than one specced for your size of garden.

How much more will depend on what the mower is designed for and your lawn area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

amazon appears not to post these mowers to ireland or Northern ireland is that correct?

presume its due to the batteries? maybe its just that mcculloch one linked

Parcel Motel give a NI address for parcels delivered to the UK only. Are you saying this wont work?
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/services/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Parcel Motel give a NI address for parcels delivered to the UK only. Are you saying this wont work?
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/services/

for the one listed up top i provided my parcel wizard address and no dice

Advertisement